Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [37]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Film scholars agree that Hollywood portrayals of America at war follow [#permalink]
Souvik bhai....if in case my score goes below what I desire, it shall be cause of reading comprehension. Quite a daunting task ahead. How will I deal verbal on the test day, only God knows.
Anyways, can you suggest any other source for passages. Just finished with the Veritas guide, so I need to implement the learnt skills.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Send PM
Re: Film scholars agree that Hollywood portrayals of America at war follow [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Marcab wrote:
Souvik bhai....if in case my score goes below what I desire, it shall be cause of reading comprehension. Quite a daunting task ahead. How will I deal verbal on the test day, only God knows.
Anyways, can you suggest any other source for passages. Just finished with the Veritas guide, so I need to implement the learnt skills.

The veritas new book (the 10th anniversary edition) is probably the BEST I know!
I had around 80-85% accuracy in OG RC (which is below what it should be if you are aiming at a V45 or something) but in veritas it went below 70 or 60 %.
And I do find RC a bit of luck anyway. There will be passages that you would get hooked on to (or at least you could make yourself) and there are some which will repulse you beyond your intentions of getting a 760.

Good News is that RC is NOT adaptive.
Bad news is you still got to do it.

I am sure you have checked out Ron Purewal's vids. Other that that I would just suggest practicing.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
The 10th anniversary edition????
I received the 2nd edition, but yeah, that book was also very good. They deserve the appreciation. How'd you compare the later passages of VP RC guide with those of OG12/13? I had almost 1 wrong per passage, infact it was exactly the case, exactly 1 wrong per passage throughout 23 passages.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
I had almost 1 wrong per passage, infact it was exactly the case, exactly 1 wrong per passage throughout 23 passages.

Is this the accuracy on Veritas or OG?
I think RC in OG is not very representative! Most of them are pretty long passages and what bugs me with RC is the timing part of it.
I always get incredibly tensed if I get RC after the 30th minute and I get it wrong!
So my RC strategy will not work for you.
I always try to get the main idea questions. I read very attentively for the first 2 or 3 RCs but I do tend to skim if the RC appears in the post 30th minute on the GMAT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Send PM
Well that was the accuracy in VP. It has been a while since I last tried RC passages from OG. But, now I feel that rather than trying RC passages from OG, trying RC passages from question pack would be better.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Marcab wrote:
Well that was the accuracy in VP. It has been a while since I last tried RC passages from OG. But, now I feel that rather than trying RC passages from OG, trying RC passages from question pack would be better.

The one with GMATPrep Questions?
I would suggest that you dont till you are done with the GMATPrep tests!
OG is a good place to go! But i think its better to do RC in the online clickable/scrollable format.
GMATPrep Question pack works like charm!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:
Only one wrong is really good , especially for MGMAT passage that are tougher than real gmat RC style passage.

that say, I know why the first is wrong. You can understand B one and only you understand that apocalypse now redux is carved in a logic counter cycle, otherwise saying more prone to pacifism than belligerant.

If someone wants explanations, feel free to ask

Thanks for the passage. + 1 kudos

Apocalypse Now as compared to other conventional war movies doesn't glorify war but rather brings out the complexity of the war, the added footage according to the producers would have repelled the audiences. So B seems right here since it would make the war less glorious and even more complex. I though would have gone with option E if it had the words "Added footage" instead of "Removed footage" since that option uses "less appealing" which is can be directly sourced back to the passage "additional footage that the producers originally thought would repel audiences. "
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
5. What is the function of the last paragraph of the passage?
A) It shows that, despite changes in the industry and audience, the pattern discussed still exists.
B) It points out that the film industry never changes.
C) It shows that changes in the film industry and its audience have made the pattern previously discussed obsolete.
D) It discusses how Jarhead and Apocalypse Now Redux are fundamentally different from all the war movies that preceded them.
E) It demonstrates that war movies have changed to reflect the more culturally diverse audience.

Why E is wrong ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
Send PM
Passage:1
I got first 2 questions wrong in the 1st passage. Q2 i got wrong because i missed the word "least". so fine.

Q1: I didn't understand the 1st question. In the last para it is mentioned that producers originally thought would repel audiences and correct option B says "added footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and more ambiguous". Aren't these contradictory? i chose option D because i found this reasoning in B incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Only one wrong is really good , especially for MGMAT passage that are tougher than real gmat RC style passage.

that say, I know why the first is wrong. You can understand B one and only you understand that apocalypse now redux is carved in a logic counter cycle, otherwise saying more prone to pacifism than belligerant.

If someone wants explanations, feel free to ask

Thanks for the passage. + 1 kudos

Hello Carcass,
I am having trouble in understanding why option D is wrong in Q4. Would be great if you can help me understand it.
Thanks,
Devansh
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took 9 mins 50 seconds , including 3 mins to read
Was in a fix in question 1 and ended up selecting answer C :?

1. Apocalypse Now Redux and Apocalypse Now were discussed in the final twoparagraphs. In the third paragraph, Apocalypse Now is described as a film that was released years after the conflict it portrayed and had a more complex view of the war. In the last paragraph, Apocalypse Now Redux is presented as further evidence that the pattern discussed in this passage continues. That pattern is that war movies presented less glorified and more layered portrayals when the conflict was further in the past. Thus, the correct answer will note that its perspective was more complex and morally ambiguous.
(B) CORRECT. The last paragraph notes that the extra footage was not orginally included because it might repel audiences. Thus, the updated film's portrayal of war must be less appealing and more ambiguous than that of the original.
(C) This choice indicates a change in the opposite direction; the last paragraph indicates that the additional footage made the film's perspective on war harsher as opposed to more glorified.

2. The theme of the passage is that the glories of war were emphasized in films made during the conflict but questioned in those made years afterward. In the
second paragraph, All Quiet on the Western Front is cited as an example from the latter category. Therefore, its portrayal of combat would have the least in
common with a film made during a conflict.

(E) CORRECT. In both the second and third paragraphs, Guadalcanal Diary ismentioned as a film made in wartime. In the second paragraph, it is listed as an
example of a film that portrayed the “’the ultimate sacrifice’ as a noble and undoubted good.” In contrast, the first paragraph states that “All Quiet on the
Western Front put forth an anti-war message by displaying the horrors of combat.” Thus, Guadalcanal Diary must be the portrayal of combat that least resembles that in
All Quiet on the Western Front.

The second sentence of the second paragraph reads “After America declaredwar against Germany during World War I, the still infant film industry glorified
the fight against “the Hun.” Thus, it must follow that the Germans are referred to by that name. GMAT inferences generally follow directly from the text of
the passage.

(D) CORRECT. Since the passage states that America declared war on Germany, it must follow that the Germans were “the Hun” against whom America was fighting.

The passage clearly enunciates in the first paragraph that it plans to illustrate the cyclical pattern of the tone of Hollywood war movies. The second and third
paragraphs trace the pattern's history through the last century, and then the passage ends by returning to the resilience of that cycle. Thus, the main point
of the passage must reference establishing and describing the recurring pattern over time.
Answer C

The last paragraph begins by noting that the changes in the industry and audience have not changed the pattern discussed. The paragraph ends by
stating that this aspect of the film industry, that is, the pattern discussed, remains intact. The correct answer should reflect this point.
Answer A

In the second paragraph, The Bridge on the River Kwai is mentioned as a post-WWII example of the continuing pattern of war movies becoming more
ambivalent years after the conflict. The phrases “once again” and “for example” highlight this. In the third paragraph, the movie is again mentioned as an example of
a more complex view of war. Thus, the correct answer must follow from these points.

(D) CORRECT. The third paragraph states that Guadalcanal Diary was much closer in tone to The Green Berets and contrasts those two to The Bridge on the River
Kwai. This contrast is in terms of the greater ambivalence and moral confusion shown in The Bridge on the River Kwai.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Q1) According to the passage, Apocalypse Now Redux differed from Apocalypse Now in which of the following ways?
A. The added footage made it less appealing to a more culturally diverse audience. Distortion. Not connected to Apocalypse Now Redux
B. The added footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and more ambiguous.Less Appealing means countering the acceptable content. Yes Answrr
C. The added footage made its portrayal of war less harsh and more glorified.Opposite. No
D. The added footage made it more similar in tone to other war movies.Which other movies? Incorrect
E. The removed footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and less appealing.Not removed, accepted.

Q2)The passage implies that the combat depicted in All Quiet on the Western Front least resembles the depiction of combat in which of the following?this movie was about morals and all.. Against war
A: Jarhead
B: Apocalypse Now
C: The Bridge on the River Kwai
D: Platoon
E: Guadalcanal DiaryIn both the second and third paragraphs, Guadalcanal Diary is mentioned as a film made in wartime.

3. In the second paragraph, the author implies that “the
Hun” refers to which of the following? Hun refers to the guy with whom US was fighting.. Para 2, Germans D
A) The Huns
B) The Hungarians
C) The Austro-Hungarians
D) The Germans
E The Russians

Q4)What is the main point made by the author? Author is enunciating the cyclical patters of the industry. Hence, C.. recurring pattern over time/
A: Hollywood has never fully supported America’s armed conflicts.
B: In the last century, the film industry has become more culturally diverse.
C: An established cultural pattern is more durable than was thought during a time of social upheaval.
D: The film industry has only supported American military efforts during the actual conflict.
E: Cyclical patterns determine the type of big budget films produced by Hollywood more than individuals do.

5. What is the function of the last paragraph of the passage? The last paragraph begins by noting that the changes in the industry and audience have not changed the pattern discussed. The paragraph ends by stating that this aspect of the film industry, that is, the pattern discussed, remains intact. The correct answer should reflect this point. Answer A
A) It shows that, despite changes in the industry and audience, the pattern discussed still exists.
C) It shows that changes in the film industry and its audience have made the pattern previously discussed obsolete.
D) It discusses how Jarhead and Apocalypse Now Redux are fundamentally different from all the war movies that preceded them.
E) It demonstrates that war movies have changed to reflect the more culturally diverse audience.

Q6)Which one of the following does the author believe is true about The Bridge on the River Kwai? D
A: It deserved the awards that it won.
B: It is a more intelligent and well-crafted movie than The Green Berets.
C: It was the first movie to portray the moral confusion of war.
D: Its portrayal of war is more ambivalent than that in Guadalcanal Diary.
E: It was more financially successful than any war movie that came before it.
Question 6
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE:Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I am confused on 1st Question. Please anyone explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V26
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
imyuva wrote:
I am confused on 1st Question. Please anyone explain.

Q1) According to the passage, Apocalypse Now Redux differed from Apocalypse Now in which of the following ways?
A. The added footage made it less appealing to a more culturally diverse audience.
B. The added footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and more ambiguous.
C. The added footage made its portrayal of war less harsh and more glorified.
D. The added footage made it more similar in tone to other war movies.
E. The removed footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and less appealing.

Notice that the passage talks only about 2 cycles of portrayal of American war movies:
1) Glory and sacrifice
2) Complex and more confusing.

According to the 4th paragraph, Apocalypse Now Redux contains footages in which the producers originally thought the portrayal would repel audiences.
The line before that states that "Jarhead, a layered depiction of the first gulf war, premiered more than ten years after that conflict. Further evidence of this pattern can be seen in the release of Apocalypse Now Redux".

This shows that Option B is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
Send PM
sahoo wrote:
Film scholars agree that Hollywood portrayals of America at war follow a cyclical pattern. During and immediately after a conflict, important films trumpet glory and sacrifice. Ten to fifteen years later, questioning and sometimes pacifistic movies about the conflict dominate. In the late 1960’s, “the raging bulls” of Hollywood--the young trendsetters rising to prominence--proclaimed this pattern obsolete. However, the passage of time has demonstrated this cultural pattern to be more resilient than it seemed in those days of social change.

Throughout the majority of the last century, evidence of the cyclical portrayal of war in film abounds. After America declared war against Germany during World War I, the still infant film industry glorified the fight against “the Hun.” By the early 1930's, major releases had changed their tone; for example, All Quiet on the Western Front put forth an anti-war message by displaying the horrors of combat. After World War II began, the industry shifted gears. Suddenly, important pictures again portrayed glories and courage without the questioning or despair. For example, Guadalcanal Diary, produced during the war, showed “the ultimate sacrifice” as a noble and undoubted good. Once again, though, by 1957, films such as The Bridge on the River Kwai won awards for depicting the moral confusion of war.

Those who later declared this pattern dead based their conviction on their hearts rather than their minds. During the Vietnam War, the only major film about that conflict was The Green Berets, starring John Wayne and far closer in tone to Guadalcanal Diary than to The Bridge on the River Kwai. Similarly, years went by before more complex visions of war, such as Apocalypse Now, and then Platoon, emerged.

While today’s film industry is more diverse and its audience more culturally fragmented, this cycle largely continues. Jarhead, a layered depiction of the first gulf war, premiered more than ten years after that conflict. Further evidence of this pattern can be seen in the release of Apocalypse Now Redux, which contained additional footage that the producers originally thought would repel audiences. Thus, the famous aphorism “The more things change, the more they stay the same” certainly applies to this aspect of the film industry.
A. The added footage made it less appealing to a more culturally diverse audience.
B. The added footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and more ambiguous.
C. The added footage made its portrayal of war less harsh and more glorified.
D. The added footage made it more similar in tone to other war movies.
E. The removed footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and less appealing.

Q2)The passage implies that the combat depicted in All Quiet on the Western Front least resembles the depiction of combat in which of the following?
E: Guadalcanal Diary

Hun” refers to which of the following?
A) The Huns
B) The Hungarians
C) The Austro-Hungarians
D) The Germans
E The Russians

Q4)What is the main point made by the author?
C: An established cultural pattern is more durable than was thought during a time of social upheaval.
D: The film industry has only supported American military efforts during the actual conflict.
E: Cyclical patterns determine the type of big budget films produced by Hollywood more than individuals do.

5. What is the function of the last paragraph of the passage?

Q6)Which one of the following does the author believe is true about The Bridge on the River Kwai?

1. Apocalypse Now Redux and Apocalypse Now were discussed in the final two
paragraphs. In the third paragraph, Apocalypse Now is described as a film
that was released years after the conflict it portrayed and had a more complex
view of the war. In the last paragraph, Apocalypse Now Redux is presented
as further evidence that the pattern discussed in this passage continues. That
pattern is that war movies presented less glorified and more layered
portrayals when the conflict was further in the past. Thus, the correct answer
will note that its perspective was more complex and morally ambiguous.
(A) This choice distorts the meaning of the passage. While the last paragraph
notes that film audiences are more diverse, this is not connected to the
information provided about Apocalypse Now Redux.
(B) CORRECT. The last paragraph notes that the extra footage was not orginally
included because it might repel audiences. Thus, the updated film's portrayal of war
must be less appealing and more ambiguous than that of the original.
(C) This choice indicates a change in the opposite direction; the last paragraph
indicates that the additional footage made the film's perspective on war harsher as
opposed to more glorified.
(D) The passage indicates that not all war movies had the same tone, and the
answer choice does not specify which "other movies" are referred to; therefore, this
choice is incorrect.
(E) There is no mention of any removed footage in the passage. As it is not possible
to know if any footage was removed, this choice is incorrect.

2. The theme of the passage is that the glories of war were emphasized in films
made during the conflict but questioned in those made years afterward. In the
second paragraph, All Quiet on the Western Front is cited as an example from
the latter category. Therefore, its portrayal of combat would have the least in
common with a film made during a conflict.
(A) In the last paragraph, Jarhead is listed as a film that was made years after
the conflict it portrayed and had an ambivalent attitude to its topic. Thus, it can
be inferred that it would resemble All Quiet on the Western Front. Remember
that any information gleaned from seeing the film is outside knowledge. If this
information cannot be deduced from the passage, it cannot be used to answer
a question.
(B) In the third paragraph, Apocalypse Now is listed as a film that was made years
after the conflict it portrayed and had an ambivalent attitude to its topic. Thus, it can
be inferred that it would resemble All Quiet on the Western Front.
(C) In the second paragraph, The Bridge on the River Kwai is described as a film
that was made years after the conflict it portrayed and showed the moral confusion
of war. Thus, it can be inferred that it would resemble All Quiet on the Western Front.
(D) In the third paragraph, Platoon is described as a film that was made years after
the conflict it portrayed and had an ambivalent attitude to its topic. Thus, it can be
inferred that it would resemble All Quiet on the Western Front.
(E) CORRECT. In both the second and third paragraphs, Guadalcanal Diary is
mentioned as a film made in wartime. In the second paragraph, it is listed as an
example of a film that portrayed the “’the ultimate sacrifice’ as a noble and
undoubted good.” In contrast, the first paragraph states that “All Quiet on the
Western Front put forth an anti-war message by displaying the horrors of combat.”
Thus, Guadalcanal Diary must be the portrayal of combat that least resembles that in
All Quiet on the Western Front.

3. The second sentence of the second paragraph reads “After America declared
war against Germany during World War I, the still infant film industry glorified
the fight against “the Hun.” Thus, it must follow that the Germans are referred
to by that name. GMAT inferences generally follow directly from the text of
the passage.
(A) There is no direct evidence in the passage that indicates this meaning for "the
Hun." Furthermore, the use of quotation marks indicates that the reference is not
literal.
(B) There is no direct evidence in the passage that indicates this meaning for "the
Hun."
(C) There is no direct evidence in the passage that indicates this meaning for "the
Hun." The fact that the Hungarians were then part of Austro-Hungary is outside
knowledge which cannot be deduced from the passage.
(D) CORRECT. Since the passage states that America declared war on Germany, it
must follow that the Germans were “the Hun” against whom America was fighting.
(E) There is no direct evidence in the passage that indicates this meaning for "the
Hun." GMAT inferences must follow from the text of the passage.

4. The passage clearly enunciates in the first paragraph that it plans to illustrate the cyclical pattern of the tone of Hollywood war movies. The second and third paragraphs trace the pattern's history through the last century, and then the passage ends by returning to the resilience of that cycle. Thus, the main point of the passage must reference establishing and describing the recurring pattern over time.
(A) This choice does not address the cyclical pattern; instead, it suggests a point not made in the passage.
(B) This is a minor detail mentioned in the last paragraph, not the main point. Furthermore, this choice ignores the issue of a cyclical pattern.
(C) CORRECT. This choice reiterates the theme that a pattern is durable, despite the doubts of some during "those days of social change" -- i.e., the late 1960's. This choice exactly mirrors the structure of the passage, which makes this point, provides historical evidence, and then reiterates that the pattern continues to endure.
(D) Besides its extreme quality, this choice is incorrect because it distorts the meaning. The passage's assertion that a more nuanced view of America’s conflicts emerges in movies made years later cannot automatically be equated with a lack of support.

(E) This choice presents an irrelevant comparison. The passage is only concerned with the existence of this pattern and does not address the relative influence of various individuals.

5. The last paragraph begins by noting that the changes in the industry and audience have not changed the pattern discussed. The paragraph ends by stating that this aspect of the film industry, that is, the pattern discussed, remains intact. The correct answer should reflect this point.
(A) CORRECT. This choice correctly summarizes the point made in the first and last sentences of the last paragraph: that this pattern continues despite changes in the industry and audience.
(B) This choice is too extreme. The passage merely says that one pattern of the film industry has not changed. The last paragraph acknowledges that changes in the industry have occurred.
(C) This choice is incorrect as the last paragraph explicitly states that the pattern discussed largely continues.
(D) In the last paragraph, Jarhead and Apocalypse Now Redux are mentioned as examples proving that the discussed pattern continues. Thus, they cannot be fundamentally different from other war movies.
(E) The point of the last paragraph is that the pattern of the last century continues.
Thus, it cannot make the point that war movies have changed in response to
changes in the audience.
6. In the second paragraph, The Bridge on the River Kwai is mentioned as a
post-WWII example of the continuing pattern of war movies becoming more
ambivalent years after the conflict. The phrases “once again” and “for example”
highlight this. In the third paragraph, the movie is again mentioned as an example of
a more complex view of war. Thus, the correct answer must follow from these points.
(A) This is incorrect; the author does not discuss the quality of the movie or the merit
of any awards.
(B) The passage does not compare the intelligence or crafting of these, or any, films;
it merely discusses their tone and approach to the depiction of war. A movie could
present a glorified depiction of war and also be very intelligent and well-crafted.
(C) This is incorrect. The passage indicates that there were movies with ambivalent perspectives produced after the first war, citing All Quiet on the Western Front as an example. Furthermore, the phrase “once again” indicates that it was not the first to have such a tone.
(D) CORRECT. The third paragraph states that Guadalcanal Diary was much closer in tone to The Green Berets and contrasts those two to The Bridge on the River Kwai. This contrast is in terms of the greater ambivalence and moral confusion shown in The Bridge on the River Kwai.
(E) The passage does not mention the financial success, or lack thereof, of any of the movies it discusses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
NikGujju wrote:
A. The added footage made it less appealing to a more culturally diverse audience. Distortion. Not connected to Apocalypse Now Redux
B. The added footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and more ambiguous.Less Appealing means countering the acceptable content. Yes Answrr
C. The added footage made its portrayal of war less harsh and more glorified.Opposite. No
D. The added footage made it more similar in tone to other war movies.Which other movies? Incorrect
E. The removed footage made its portrayal of war less glorified and less appealing.Not removed, accepted.

Q2)The passage implies that the combat depicted in All Quiet on the Western Front least resembles the depiction of combat in which of the following?this movie was about morals and all.. Against war
E: Guadalcanal DiaryIn both the second and third paragraphs, Guadalcanal Diary is mentioned as a film made in wartime.

Hun” refers to which of the following? Hun refers to the guy with whom US was fighting.. Para 2, Germans D
A) The Huns
B) The Hungarians
C) The Austro-Hungarians
D) The Germans
E The Russians

Q4)What is the main point made by the author? Author is enunciating the cyclical patters of the industry. Hence, C.. recurring pattern over time/

5. What is the function of the last paragraph of the passage? The last paragraph begins by noting that the changes in the industry and audience have not changed the pattern discussed. The paragraph ends by stating that this aspect of the film industry, that is, the pattern discussed, remains intact. The correct answer should reflect this point. Answer A

Q6)Which one of the following does the author believe is true about The Bridge on the River Kwai? D
Question 6

A: Jarhead: this can also be the right answer. but why not?

please explain
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.63
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Note there is a shortcut to get the right answer in question 1: C and D both indicate the additional footage "praises" war, so they can be eliminated together. E mentioned "removed footage" which is nowhere to find in the passage, remove. Now looking at A and B:

A is tempting, so refer back for exact wording: "Further evidence of this pattern can be seen in the release of Apocalypse Now Redux, which contained additional footage that the producers originally thought would repel audiences." Note "originally" and "would" indicate "less appealing" was not true.

So B is the correct answer. I think this question is a perfect example of how POE works to improve your solution efficiency
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts