Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Please Evaluate profile for R2 deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I know you're not going to want to hear this but I think that you should change up your approach for the GMAT, the people who improve are the people who do things differently.

It just has so much to do with which school you can get into and your starting salary, I just think it's best for you to make sure you look at all your options.

At this very moment in time you might want to do your MBA to get a break from work or whatever but you just might come to regret that later.

GRE score might be best in this situation because it's unranked, so it's often a wild card for adcom to let people in who they like, without any penalty to the school because the GRE score is not ranked. So that's something I strongly urge you to consider.

You do have extracurriculars. So I congratate on that, and that will help, however I'd hate to see you lose out to someone ie Indian who has serious involvement like you but also a good score.

You have a good job but there's plenty of BAs at Tata who apply to Business School.

At this point in time I think top 30 would be best, with maybe a safety School the top 35 and a reach School in the top 25.

I do help people with the verbal part, so I definitely think I could probably add some value to that if you'd like.

I recommend you go for Round one because you're over represented. There's nothing wrong with round 2 but for IT Indian males I think it's best to get your foot in the door before anyone else.

It goes without saying that youre going to need to do an excellent job on your application. And I may mention that there are many people who think that they had done that and did not.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Please Evaluate profile for R2 deadlines [#permalink]
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
I would target top 30-35 programs with your profile

Thank You Dozie for the reply, this gives me a clarity.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Aringo wrote:
What is your post MBA goal? Would need to know that in order to suggest schools.
But generally, I agree with the poster above that top 30 schools is probably the range you should be looking at, as schools ranked higher than that will be tough for an Indian IT male with the GMAT score in question.

Hi Team,

Thanks for the reply.

My main reason for doing an MBA is to enhance my current skills, basically what I feel is that though I work as a BA, there is a lot of scope to further enhance my learning, and have better job prospects in the future. Having a strong business knowledge will further help in shaping my career and probably lead to a change in career pat.

I do agree that with 670 it will be difficult to break into the top 30 universities, but I hope working along with a good consultant making to a top 25 should be realistic, as I feel a strong application should overcome the "30 points" that my current score lacks.

I have come to terms with my score, as I have get 700+ scores on the GMATPrep mocks (680,700,720,700), but I feel I am not a good test taker maybe, that affects the D day performance.

Rajat, from e-gmat, also gave your reference and I was planning to get in touch with you.

Thanks for your taking out time to read this and providing your insights on my application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I know you're not going to want to hear this but I think that you should change up your approach for the GMAT, the people who improve are the people who do things differently.

It just has so much to do with which school you can get into and your starting salary, I just think it's best for you to make sure you look at all your options.

At this very moment in time you might want to do your MBA to get a break from work or whatever but you just might come to regret that later.

GRE score might be best in this situation because it's unranked, so it's often a wild card for adcom to let people in who they like, without any penalty to the school because the GRE score is not ranked. So that's something I strongly urge you to consider.

You do have extracurriculars. So I congratate on that, and that will help, however I'd hate to see you lose out to someone ie Indian who has serious involvement like you but also a good score.

You have a good job but there's plenty of BAs at Tata who apply to Business School.

At this point in time I think top 30 would be best, with maybe a safety School the top 35 and a reach School in the top 25.

I do help people with the verbal part, so I definitely think I could probably add some value to that if you'd like.

I recommend you go for Round one because you're over represented. There's nothing wrong with round 2 but for IT Indian males I think it's best to get your foot in the door before anyone else.

It goes without saying that youre going to need to do an excellent job on your application. And I may mention that there are many people who think that they had done that and did not.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA

There is no reason why I would not have liked to read what you had to say :-D

Constructive feedback is very much required to understand where you stand, so thanks a lot for taking out time and providing a detailed response.

The reason I want to do an MBA now is not because I want a break from my work, I absolutely love what I am doing right now, and working in a project that is responsible for Digitizing the Indian Education system, makes me feel even more privileged, but because of the reasons I have mentioned above.

Quote:

I had almost given up GMAT, after my second attempt(a 560), so I did things differently and got up to 670, I do know that I am from an over represented group, but that does not demotivate me to try and competing with the very best, yes GMAT score is a good differentiator between two applicants, but I do feel the GMAT score is just a part of the whole application, I have been advised against a 4th attempt, though I can get back to study mode and slog for another 2 months and get a 700, but I feel 670 should present my case(560-670) in-front of the adcoms of top 30 schools.

GRE, I feel will not be of much help at the moment, first of all as per my understanding B-Schools prefer GMAT score over GRE, and moreover the verbal part is quite different in the two exams.
So going back to study mode, and prepare something new, does not seem to be a wise decision, during y mocks I had a low of V35, and a high of V41, so if at anytime I would prefer to work on my score, will be by giving the GMAT again as I am much better aware of the exam as compared to GRE.

Quote:

I understand your concern regarding the R2 applications, but I feel I will always have an opportunity to apply in Round 1, and should not stop myself from applying in R2 if I am able to convert to a school that aligns well with my MBA goals.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA

There is no reason why I would not have liked to read what you had to say :-D

Constructive feedback is very much required to understand where you stand, so thanks a lot for taking out time and providing a detailed response.

The reason I want to do an MBA now is not because I want a break from my work, I absolutely love what I am doing right now, working in a project that is responsible for Digitizing the Indian Education system, makes me feel even more privileged.

The reasons that I wish to apply for MBA is because of the reasons I have mentioned above.

Quote:

I had almost given up GMAT, after my second attempt(a 560), so I did things differently and got up to 670, I do know that I am from an over represented group, but that does not demotivate me to try and competing with the very best, yes GMAT score is a good differentiator between two applicants, but I do feel the GMAT score is just a part of the whole application, I have been advised against a 4th attempt, though I can get back to study mode and slog for another 2 months and get a 700, but I feel 670 should present my case(560-670) in-front of the adcoms of top 30 schools.

GRE, I feel will not be of much help at the moment, first of all as per my understanding B-Schools prefer GMAT score over GRE, and moreover the verbal part is quite different in the two exams.
So going back to study mode, and prepare something new, does not seem to be a wise decision, during y mocks I had a low of V35, and a high of V41, so if at anytime I would prefer to work on my score, will be by giving the GMAT again as I am much better aware of the exam as compared to GRE.

Quote:

I understand your concern regarding the R2 applications, but I feel I will always have an opportunity to apply in Round 1, and should not stop myself from applying in R2 if I am able to convert to a school that aligns well with my MBA goals.
GMAT Club Bot