It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 14:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Help!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Please Help!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2014, 00:41
Hi Everyone,

I gave my GMAT last year on 21st september. Even though I managed to get a decent score of 740, I have still not been able to crack any school. I got interview calls from Simon, HEC Paris and Olin. Simon has not yet told me anything, but HEC and Olin have turned down my applications. I am really stressed out now, and I really don't know what to do. I need help with my interview skills probably, but apart from that, I need suggestions as to where else I can apply. My profile is as below:
GMAT : 740 Q 50 V 41
WE : IT Services - 3.5 years
Extra-curricular : Voluntary work

Other schools I have applied to are Georgia tech, Urbana Champaign, ISB, S.P.Jain.

Please share your thoughts so that I can maybe improve my candidature.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 30

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Please Help!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 04:37
Cartman2013 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I gave my GMAT last year on 21st september. Even though I managed to get a decent score of 740, I have still not been able to crack any school. I got interview calls from Simon, HEC Paris and Olin. Simon has not yet told me anything, but HEC and Olin have turned down my applications. I am really stressed out now, and I really don't know what to do. I need help with my interview skills probably, but apart from that, I need suggestions as to where else I can apply. My profile is as below:
GMAT : 740 Q 50 V 41
WE : IT Services - 3.5 years
Extra-curricular : Voluntary work

Other schools I have applied to are Georgia tech, Urbana Champaign, ISB, S.P.Jain.

Please share your thoughts so that I can maybe improve my candidature.

Hey, I am also an applicant and I understand what you are going through. Please take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Getting an MBA admission is not easy. And for an Indian applicant, it is even tougher. For most Indians, it takes two application seasons to get through. Think about the following.

1. Do you have clear career goals? Are you making a good case for your MBA? This is the most important step.
2. Are you writing stellar essays? Don't put any vague words or quotations. Be specific about everything you write. Every sentence in the essay should contribute well. Essays are very important. How much time did you spend on the essays?
3. Talk to current students. Understand the program.
4. Don't bother adcom with unnecessary questions
5. Improve your interview skills

Let me know if I can be of any help. PM me, if you want to discuss.

Thanks,
Prodizy

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 05:12
That is a solid GMAT score, you should be proud. However, the GMAT is just a factor in the overall (stressful!) application process. Going through my own journey and having helped a few along the way, I find that some people overlook the importance of the essays. These really add the color and life to the application in order to showcase who YOU are. The final step with the interview is to ensure you have the necessary cultural fit.

I would really recommend that you either get a friend/colleague who has been through an MBA to practice interviews or hire a consultant. I help with peer reviews of essays at a fraction of the cost of a professional consultant. Check out the link in my signature for details and testimonials.

I know it's a tough process, but keep the faith - it's a marathon, not a sprint and with the right training and support, you can get into a good program.

Get a peer review for your essays: http://gmatclub.com/forum/peer-review-service-for-essays-132830.html

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2014, 23:07
Congrats for scoring well in GMAT. With this score you can surely aim for top 10 business schools. But GMAT is just one feature which adcoms focus upon. Others including essay, letter of recommendations, GPA, work experience, etc and I think you are lacking somewhere in these other aspects. As of now, just wait for the response. If you get it, then wonderful or else don’t worry and start working on upgrading your profile. Apply next year R1 as R3 applications are not of much use and by then get some more exposure and enhance your leadership skills. Also try to indulge in some more extra curriculars as recent activities add much value to you application. Try to get in contact with an alumnus of your target schools and arrange for some mock interviews with them as they are the best people to help you out. Don’t stress out and start working for it.
Good Luck!

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: Please Help!!   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2014, 23:07