It is currently 24 Aug 2017, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 01:04
Hey Everyone,
I wish to inquire about MBA applications and admission success rate.
I have done my bachelors in BS- Economics from Pakistan (GPA 2.6). I've very strong extracurricular such as Captain of Basketball, MUNs, Startups (Event Management) (Writing) and so forth.
Currently, I'm working in Nestle and before that I was working for Rocket Internet GmbH (both management positions)
I wish to apply for IVYs but I am not sure about the impact my GPA will have on my application and most importantly, the GMAT score I would be needing to get an admission.
I would really appreciate if someone can guide me as well as enlighten me regarding the admission success rate.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 14:47
Hi there,

Top-tier MBA programs will be concerned with your weak GPA, and so I would recommend applying to a broader range of schools. In the "Additional Information" section of the applications, you should address what caused the weaker GPA. Also, you will need to do very well on the GMAT to show that you can handle the rigor of the curriculum (at least an 80th percentile in both the quant and verbal sections of the exam). I hope this helps and best of luck!

Best,
Shaifali
(http://www.ivygroupe.com)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.ivygroupe.com/

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 08:59
Usamabinzubair1990 wrote:
Hey Everyone,
I have done my bachelors in BS- Economics from Pakistan (GPA 2.6). I've very strong extracurricular such as Captain of Basketball, MUNs, Startups (Event Management) (Writing) and so forth.
Currently, I'm working in Nestle and before that I was working for Rocket Internet GmbH (both management positions)
I wish to apply for IVYs but I am not sure about the impact my GPA will have on my application and most importantly, the GMAT score I would be needing to get an admission.
I would really appreciate if someone can guide me as well as enlighten me regarding the admission success rate.

Thanks

Thank you for your profile details. I would love to learn more about your current roles. What do you do for Nestle? What has your promotion path been and also salary increases over time? Perhaps sending your resume would show me all of the details: scott@personalmbacoach.com

If you wish to post more here, you can receive additional opinions as well. While I would need to see more about you, you will need a very high GMAT to get into a top school with a 2.6 GPA. In terms of success rate, we should narrow in on schools first before talking about chances of getting in.

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 09:27
Your weak GPA will be a major red flag, so your GMAT will need to do a lot to balance that out. So you should plan to exceed the avg score at these target schools. So focus on really performing well on your GMAT to identify which schools will be a good fit

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 04:46
A couple of more perspectives to share Usamabinzubair1990:
  1. Echoing others pov, the GPA could be an issue. There are ways of getting around to it though; read [ur=http://www.mbacrystalball.com/blog/2015/04/13/managing-low-academic-grades-gpa-mba-applications/l]here[/url]. There are multiple factors at play here and your total experience as well as other profile parameters will have a bearing on this bit too.
  2. There is no minimum GMAT score; read here. That said, given the GPA bit, it'll help to be well above your target school's averages.

Hope this helps some more.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 13:29
[quote="Usamabinzubair1990"]Hey Everyone,Hi Usamabinzubair1990 let me address your profile below.

I have done my bachelors in BS- Economics from Pakistan (GPA 2.6). I've very strong extracurricular such as Captain of Basketball, MUNs, Startups (Event Management) (Writing) and so forth. Straight up, that GPA is going to be painful for adcoms to accept. However if you are an international student then the GPA may matter a bit less as the schools may not have to report it. Nevertheless, having a high GMAT to counter that and also great work experience will only help. I think a 700+ GMAT would help and that you are more likely to find forgiveness not at an Ivy but rather a strong top 20 program near the bottom part of that as if you GMAT is great, they will be more likely to overlook the GPA. If you have any special situation- grading scheme is very difficult (if so consider sharing class rank), financial difficulty, burden of working with school, illness- something to give some context for the 2.6 that might help too.
I would really appreciate if someone can guide me as well as enlighten me regarding the admission success rate. Success rates for M7 schools is about 10%- some lower some higher. You would have tough odds but I'd have to know more to say for sure. Anything is possible- I have seen great things if everything is really strong. For a free consult to discuss more-
go to this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... onsulting/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 33

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 08 May 2017, 13:29