It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 01:39
Hi!

would love if someone could evaluate my profile

Background and nationality - Indian origin canadian citizen female
Undergrad Information - B.tech in Chemical Engineering,National Institute of technology,Surat,India with 8.03/10 GPA. Last 2 semesters being 8.64 and 9.41
GMAT: a disappointing 640 (Q-45 V-34), this is best out of 3
Work experience and leadership - 1 year as Production Engineer in Cairn Energy, Rajasthan, India and consequent 3 years as Process engineer in McDermott Middle East, Dubai,UAE. Throughout the 4 years of work ex, i have had technicians report to me, had to deal with clients and vendors, and have worked in remote locations and fabrication yards in harsh conditions
Talent Management Liason in Graduate council - was responsible for representing graduate program union to the management in McDermott. In the process, organized various team events, brainstorming sessions and lunch and learns with senior management
Community and others -
1. Participated in CSR activities in Cairn energy. Organized women's day on behalf on Cairn in which we visited a remote village near our plant and motivated women and their daughters to avail education to the best of their abilities
2. Was part of I-India in college. Visited old age homes to spend time with the residents and organize "Joy of Giving week" where we personally served children from residents with entertainment,food and fun.
3. Currently part pf dance classes where we perform every 6 months at annual gatherings.
4. Travelled to Austria,Switzerland,Germany,France,Kenya,
Post MBA goals
1. Goal is to get into consulting for 4-5 years and eventually into strategic management of FMCG/Energy industry.

Target schools include Rotman,Schulich,Mays,Kelley,McCombs,Tepper. What are my chances?

Appreciate any one who can provide some insights!
Thank you
Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
S
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:03
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! Before I dive in, I just want to note that our firm advises on US and European MBA programs (focused on the top 25) so I don’t have much experience with most of the schools on your list. However, I’m happy to provide some high-level advice on your profile!
- As an Indian engineer, you are competing in a VERY competitive group. As such you'll really want to focus on some of the characteristics and experiences that are unique from your peers (international experience in Dubai, the Women’s Day you organized, etc.)
- Leadership is key. One the biggest mistakes I see engineering applicants make is focusing on their technical skills versus their higher-level strategy and leadership skills. It matters less "what" the output of your project was - it matters more "how" you led the team. Please keep that in mind as you write your essays and you'll already start distinguishing yourself.
- Lastly, consulting is a very common and broad post-MBA path. In order to avoid seeming like you’re “following the herd”, you’ll want to get pretty specific about why consulting is the right next step for you and how it will factor into your long-term vision for your career.

I hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
https://vantagepointmba.com/
Your Personal MBA Application Experts
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 05:14
VantagePointMelody wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! Before I dive in, I just want to note that our firm advises on US and European MBA programs (focused on the top 25) so I don’t have much experience with most of the schools on your list. However, I’m happy to provide some high-level advice on your profile!
- As an Indian engineer, you are competing in a VERY competitive group. As such you'll really want to focus on some of the characteristics and experiences that are unique from your peers (international experience in Dubai, the Women’s Day you organized, etc.)
- Leadership is key. One the biggest mistakes I see engineering applicants make is focusing on their technical skills versus their higher-level strategy and leadership skills. It matters less "what" the output of your project was - it matters more "how" you led the team. Please keep that in mind as you write your essays and you'll already start distinguishing yourself.
- Lastly, consulting is a very common and broad post-MBA path. In order to avoid seeming like you’re “following the herd”, you’ll want to get pretty specific about why consulting is the right next step for you and how it will factor into your long-term vision for your career.

I hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody

Hi Melody,

Thank you for your insight. Your points will definitely help me elaborate my strengths with the examples you have given.
Just a couple of questions, I mentioned in my profile that I am a Canadian citizen (of indian origin). How does a college classify my demographic? Am i in the indian pool or the canadian pool? Just a bit worried since I assumed i wouldn't fall in a "VERY competitive group" and that would act as an advantage for me.
Also, since you mentioned that you have experience with the top 25 b schools (US and European), I am assuming that would include McCombs and Tepper? If yes, can you elaborate on whether I should apply at all since my GMAT score falls lower than their average GMAT scores? This question is assuming that I take your help on the applications and get the best possible application submitted with the help of our collaboration.
Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
S
Schools: CBS '13 (A)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 18:11
Hi there,

I'm happy to clarify on your additional questions! So regarding your Canadian citizenship, the admissions process isn't so structured that you're placed in pools, per se. It's more about thinking who your competitive set is. In your case, since you were educated in India and worked in India, your profile will look much more similar to other Indian applicants than it will Canadian applicants. How much time have you spent living / working in Canada? If any, I would suggest bringing that up in your applications as a differentiator. However, if you simply hold the citizenship without having spent any meaningful time in Canada, then I don't expect it to impact your application in any way, good or bad.

In terms of whether or not you should apply to McCombs and/or Tepper, that's up to you! If those programs are your dream schools and you recognize that they might be stretches for you but you want to try your best anyways, then go for it! I would simply recommend applying to a few other programs where your profile is more competitive in order to hedge your bets. However, if you only want to apply to programs that you can feel fairly confident about your chances, then those schools might not be the best choices. So it's ultimately up to you, your objectives, and your risk tolerance.

I hope that clarifies things for you!

Best,
Melody

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
https://vantagepointmba.com/
Your Personal MBA Application Experts
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 18:11

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap