GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 02:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2019, 07:50
Hello!

I am planning to apply for MBA or MS in marketing for the term of fall 2020.

My profile is as follows

GMAT - 680 , Q-48, V- 35

Undergraduate education- bachelors in mechanical engineering( 2018) Pune University - total 4 years = 61%, with upward trend in the last 2 years.

Extracurricular activities -

1. Led a event in the college fest
2. Have attended various leadership courses ( online and offline).
3. Attended summer program at UBC , Vancouver with courses in Marketing strategy and organisational behavior.(3 credits each)
4. Used to teach underprivileged kids in a small school near college with friends ( nothing official though).

Work - During college , I have done part time at my fathers company. Have undertaken projects such has developing standard operating procedures , making a solid review apparatus for sales people.
I have been working at my father's company full time after returning from UBC ( sept 2018- current) . After my joining we have diversified by including new products and I have taken full responsibility of business development of that product, with 2 engineers under me. My new product line has directly resulted in a increase of around 1/2 million dollars in the turnover.

Please evaluate my profile and suggest me colleges i should be targeting for.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2019, 15:32
Hi Parthkulkarni29,

Thank you very much for your post. Given that we are in the midst of Round 1 deadline season (Sep 3 to Oct 15), we would be able to cover your questions more efficiently, more effectively, and with greater nuance and specificity by way of a Free Consultation.

(Even outside of deadline season, a Free Consultation is much more detailed and helpful than a static response. We can cover a lot more ground that way and have a back-and-forth conversation, during which you'd have the chance to ask all sorts of follow-up questions.)

As a quick aside in advance of that potential call, I would say that deciding between an MBA and MS in Marketing is a decision that could influence *when* you apply, as well regarded MBA programs effectively require more experience than you will have next year.

I would be more than happy to chat with you in the coming days. If that sounds appealing to you, please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation via this link: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html. I hope we have the opportunity to speak soon!

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 08:56
Hi Parthkulkarni29,

Just to give you a little more proactive insight on the MBA side, if you were to apply this year (and thinking in terms of U.S. schools), I think that the 30s of the rankings could form the difficult / reach end of your strategy, with greater potential to be competitive developing in the 40s and 50s and beyond. For context, Indian applicants with a 680/690 GMAT have around a 13% acceptance rate across the entirety of the U.S. T21-50, so you can see how challenging the proposition is and how much needs to go into differentiating oneself. I would try to target schools where your GMAT is 30+ points above the class average (and that's to "neutralize" the GMAT... that doesn't get you in of course... you still need to execute extremely well: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process).

Moreover, as referenced in my previous post, you are going to find yourself on the lower end of work experience spectrum for U.S. MBA programs, where the average is five years and middle 80% range is typically three to seven years of experience. (Even more so for European programs, which trend about a year older.) With a little less than three years of experience at enrollment, you're teetering on the very front end of the reasonable work experience curve, and you're going to be up against applicants with similar or stronger scores and profiles who've had deeper professional experience, promotions, impact, etc. That makes things marginally harder and would increase the degree to which you'd have to aim for schools where your GMAT score and such are outliers to the plus side (e.g., a 680 and strong application execution tends to look more interesting to a school whose class average GMAT is 630ish).

All of that said, you have a nice Quant subscore, so if you're able to boost your Verbal, enhance your professional and non-professional experiences over the next couple of years, and put forth extremely strong essays and applications, the paradigm could shift meaningfully for you. So with hard work and patience on the MBA side, I think there is greater upside for you than what I've described above. (Marketing programs will generally require less experience and be less competitive from a score and overall admissions perspective, but please research and execute well if you elect to focus on those.)

Thanks!
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2019, 08:56

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep