GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 21:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation request and School suggestion

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation request and School suggestion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 13:12
Kindly, evaluate my profile and suggest schools

Indian Age 33
B. Tech Mechanical (top tier) CGPI 5.5/10
Work ex:
1 yr as Marketing engineer with Thermal Power Plant machinery manufacturing company
4 yr as Project Manger with Steel making company was involved in setting up key process plants for iron steel making
1 yr: worked with Solat PV power generation company as Manager technology looking into improvement of mechanical/civil design of existing structures and hunting for new sustainable technologies globally.
1.5 yrs: Joined a technology startup - started by one college mate, a friend too- as Head of Strategy; Brainstorming on business concept, Market research, App development (wireframing)etc.
Last 1.5 yr: officially unemployed; a tragic thing happened to my family, miscarriage after multiple attempts. Though both of us were devastated, but my wife got severely hit,: she went in a shell and just cut herself from all social circle. I just listened to my instincts and quit startup to try help her get back to normal life. In spare time, I used to teach underprivileged childrens every weekend in nearby community school and, occasionally, I used to go for Seed-ball (plantation) activities out of my concern towards growing pollution. Because I felt that my professional skills needed refining and start-up needed an MBA insight more than a industry professional, I eventually started preparing for gmat
GMAT 1: 610(Q44, V30)
GMAT 2: 660 ( V48, V32)

Extracurricular :
Actively participated in Dramatics events, played lead roles too.
Participated in robotics tournament back in college
Love Sketching and singing
Passionate about photography: capture wildlife and nature in and around places I visit

I am very doubtful about proceeding forward as in how should I present myself - considering low CGPA and job gap- in MBA applications (for 2020 Intake) for RSM (Netherlands), Smeal (Penn State, US), Emory (US), Univ St. Gallen(Switzerland), Warwick Business School (UK)
Also, Please suggest any other B-schools as per my profile.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile evaluation request and School suggestion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 09:37
Hi samco.me,

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear about the family challenges; I hope that you and your wife are moving forward as best you can. With respect to your MBA pursuits, I would highlight two baseline challenges at this juncture.

First, I would encourage you to consider programs where your GMAT score is 30 to 40 points above the class average. That doesn't mean you might not include a Penn State (average GMAT of 660) in your school strategy, but it should exist at the more difficult end of your range. Schools like Emory (where your GMAT score is 30ish points below the class average) are likely going to be out of reach. You're applying from the most crowded and competitive applicant demographic, and with that in mind, your preliminary school list looks to be a little too aggressive in my view.

Second, as you continue your research, you will often find that you are "out of common range" from an age perspective for full-time programs -- particularly the U.S. programs, where the average student is about 28 years old (middle 80% range of 25 to 30/31) and has about 5 years of full-time work experience (middle 80% range of 3 to 7/8). Making a bid to enroll in these programs at age 34 to graduate at age 36 is an extremely difficult task.

At the same time, you'll find that you align a little better among (certain) European programs -- St. Gallen's average age is 31, for example -- but even then, you are going to have to make a very strong case as to why MBA and why now in your career. As you research and connect with programs, do your conversational due diligence on this topic (e.g., if you were to speak with an admissions representative) and keep your eyes open for other MBA options (such as Executive MBAs) that cater to folks who are at your phase of career (and which ideally offer visa sponsorship; many Executive MBA programs are not full-time and therefore do not offer such sponsorship, but you would presumably want to identify those that do, like USC IBEAR, for example.)

I wish you the best of luck!

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation request and School suggestion   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2019, 09:37

Profile evaluation request and School suggestion

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep