Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Unusual Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
JDF I agree with BB on the options presented here in the order listed. Really put effort and emphasis on the MIT and Stanford fellows programs. Those are suited for your age group. You are a bit old for European schools but it isn't an impossibility and the odds are far better than you would have at US schools. However, check into ONE YEAR programs as well ie Kellogg Cornell Emory. Call them up and don't ask for the average age (they are cagey) but play the hot/cold game when you tell them you are 35. These are well suited for those who already have an advanced degree.
Signed,
1L Refugee

bb wrote:
Hi JDF!

Moving this post into a more appropriate forum where I think you would get more feedback.

1. Your profile sounds amazing. Thank you for all you do and all you have done, including the 2 tours.
2. Your GMAT score is great! I know schools seem to want Quant scores, but if you are setting your goal as marketing or other non-quant goals, it likely be fitting with the story. BSchools want diversity, and while it may seem as a weakness to someone, to another, it will be a differentiator. However, fixing the quant score will give you more options and fewer things to keep track of.
3. The fact that you have done a couple of Tours may help a bit with offsetting your age, but many of the US FT programs seem to put caps on the applicant age and it hovers around 35. I would be curious what perhaps some of the admissions consultants feel/think
4. Your strongest options would be:
-- The Stanford MSx or MIT Sloan Fellows programs in the US
-- Going to Europe (LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, IMD possibly INSEAD). Though not sure if these programs really apply to Media or Real Estage
-- Doing PT MBA (FEMBA) (while working) such as Marshall or Anderson FEMBA programs. These tend to be easier to get into
-- Doing EMBA (while working)

P.S. I am hoping someone can expand on this and perhaps prove me wrong about age, esp for a candidate with deployments.
Thanks,
BB.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - Unusual Profile [#permalink]
I appreciate the suggestions, but I’m skeptical that these programs fit my goals. Are active duty military members going into these programs to transition to civilian life? The only people I know who’ve done EMBAs are mid-civilian career. I don’t know anyone who used one for a genuine career switch.

Also,I read the tuition for the 1year MSx Program is $121,000. Unlike a full time MBA, the MSx costs would not be fully my GI Bill plus Yellow Ribbon. For a full time 2-year MBA I will either not have to pay any tuition or pay very little.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
JDF

Stanford MSx and Sloan Fellows are not EMBA programs; EMBA programs are part-time but these are full time. Same situation for one-year programs ie Kellogg, etc.
If you want to do your MBA in the US, this is your best shot. You have very low chances at your age with 2 year programs in the US; some chances with schools in Europe. I do believe you could achieve a career transition (see https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/msx/career-impact)
but you won't get an internship or on campus recruitment; that ship has kind of sailed. Even if you did manage to get into a 2 year US program recruiters would feel awkward paying a 36 year old former attorney the same as a 26 year old so it's kind of a situation where you need to use the program to make connections, set up chats and pave your own way. Sorry for the disappointing news.

JDF wrote:
I appreciate the suggestions, but I’m skeptical that these programs fit my goals. Are active duty military members going into these programs to transition to civilian life? The only people I know who’ve done EMBAs are mid-civilian career. I don’t know anyone who used one for a genuine career switch.

Also,I read the tuition for the 1year MSx Program is $121,000. Unlike a full time MBA, the MSx costs would not be fully my GI Bill plus Yellow Ribbon. For a full time 2-year MBA I will either not have to pay any tuition or pay very little.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
By the way, I took the GMAT again and got a 760. Those 30 points should be worth something to the adcoms.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
JDF wrote:
By the way, I took the GMAT again and got a 760. Those 30 points should be worth something to the adcoms.

Posted from my mobile device

That's a great score, JDF! Congratulations on this significant achievement.

I like your profile a lot, and I actually think you have a good shot at the most competitive schools if you can tell a convincing story. EMBA is not for career changers. Part-time MBA, on the other hand, may help you change careers. I know plenty of part-timers who did a summer internship after their 2nd year and then returned to the new employer for a full time job. I also know part-timers who quit their full-time job while going to school, and then find other full-time opportunities, many in a different industry or role. So don't discount the part-time route.

Now I think the full-time program has unique characteristics that neither an executive program nor a part-time program can replicate. You get a total immersion experience and you have a lot of time to reflect you what you did before and what you're doing in school. This precious reflection time is when you learn the most and grow the most to become the type of leader you want to be in the future.

I personally do not believe that full-time programs put a cap on age, though I acknowledge that it is usually harder for an older candidate to explain why he wants to do a full-time MBA with this much experience. In your case, I think your story is quite convincing. And in the classroom you can contribute your unique perspectives so that your peers can learn from you. A friend of mine started business school in his mid-30's and did very well with recruiting. He was in a full-time program at a top school. Age should never be a hindrance. I think you can confidently apply this year to the schools you like. I have advised students on business school applications before, so I know that there is a lot of work to do and there is no time to worry about your age.

Congratulations again and good luck!
GMAT Club Bot