It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review Request!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Review Request! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 19:01
I honestly have no idea how this will hurt my chances, anyone have an idea? :

What's the highest tier BS I would have a shot at?

I'm 27 and not a minority. Went to a state school right out of high school and failed horribly for a few semesters, very low GPA (highest grade B+, lots of F's).

Worked in a restaurant after that , went from bus boy to manager, worked for about 7-8 years. While in the later years of work, went to community college for nine classes, then UNC - Greensboro for 18 more classes.

Those 27 classes after I went back to school were all straight A's, so technically I graduated form UNC-Greensboro with a 4.0 GPA in Economics, which is what employers see and what is on my resume. I assume that any Bizz School will want to see all transcripts from any school I went (it seems to be the case), so there is no hiding the old bad grades.
Since graduating, I've worked in a corp finance job for about a year. Have NOT taken GMAT, I'm in the early process of thinking about an MBA.
Thanks for any thoughts!

Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Review Request! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 21:51
Hi there -

So, at first blush, my reaction is that the fact that the university on your resume, where you have a degree from, is a 4.0, will likely be the first thing they see. The other transcripts will be required to be submitted to the extent that those credits contributed to your overall degree hours for most schools. Some schools want everything. It depends. Either way, I think it's always best to be full disclosure and explain. You never want to seem like you're hiding something. You have the potential for a good story given that your GPA increased so much from your first college experience to your final (eg. you can be self-reflective and discuss how you grew over that time period).

The biggest issue might actually be that you only have ~1 year of post-college experience (if I'm reading correctly). However, this is also something that is an "it depends" because it's possible that you've had a lot of good leadership experience during that year.

Honestly, you have a story that needs to be explained, but I think there's a lot of potential to spin your background as demonstrating tremendous personal growth and maturity. I think you have a shot at the top 20 schools but you'll really need to ensure you dedicate the time to a) getting a good GMAT score to offset your undergrad story; b) telling a really good story about what your experience has been (what value you bring to the class) and what your goals are (signal how on top of your game you are and how solid your plan is).

Hope this helps - best of luck! Always happy to chat more if you like.

Kindly,
Meredith

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Profile Review Request! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 18:54
VantagePointMeredith wrote:
Hi there -

So, at first blush, my reaction is that the fact that the university on your resume, where you have a degree from, is a 4.0, will likely be the first thing they see. The other transcripts will be required to be submitted to the extent that those credits contributed to your overall degree hours for most schools. Some schools want everything. It depends. Either way, I think it's always best to be full disclosure and explain. You never want to seem like you're hiding something. You have the potential for a good story given that your GPA increased so much from your first college experience to your final (eg. you can be self-reflective and discuss how you grew over that time period).

The biggest issue might actually be that you only have ~1 year of post-college experience (if I'm reading correctly). However, this is also something that is an "it depends" because it's possible that you've had a lot of good leadership experience during that year.

Honestly, you have a story that needs to be explained, but I think there's a lot of potential to spin your background as demonstrating tremendous personal growth and maturity. I think you have a shot at the top 20 schools but you'll really need to ensure you dedicate the time to a) getting a good GMAT score to offset your undergrad story; b) telling a really good story about what your experience has been (what value you bring to the class) and what your goals are (signal how on top of your game you are and how solid your plan is).

Hope this helps - best of luck! Always happy to chat more if you like.

Kindly,
Meredith

Hi thank you so much Meredith! Your post and others have really helped me along. Let's say I take the GMAT and get 720+ and do extensive research to make the other aspects of my application strong. One further thing I'm struggling with is when to apply. I know that in my case the more work experience I can get the better. But I have to weigh that my age (28), so the longer I wait the less an expensive MBA will do for me over my career.

So, my tentative plan is to apply in late 2019 for round 1, then start school Aug 2020. I would have 3.2 years work exp (and age 31) at time of application and 4 years work experience at the time of the start of the program. Do you think that is 'good enough', or should I wait 1-2 more years?

Also, I'm worried about GMAT age: I'm taking the GMAT in mid 2017, assuming I get a high score, my GMAT score will be 2.5 years old at time of application.

Thanks!

Profile Review Request!   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2017, 18:54

Profile Review Request!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap