GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Jan 2020, 04:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile review request / next steps suggestion

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile review request / next steps suggestion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2019, 15:43
Hi all -

I am hoping to get some insight regarding the best path forward for me now. I had planned on applying round 2 of this year and was shooting for Top 10 schools (I live in the Boston area and have visited HBS for a class and an information session and loved it). However, I took the GMAT on 12/7 and scored a 600, only 20 points higher than my diagnostic CAT before 3.5 months of studying, an MPrep live course, and 90 hours of studying on my own.

So, I am wondering what the best path forward is. Should I retake and shoot for applying next year? Should I switch to the GRE? Should I wing it and apply with my 600 given my background? Should I apply round 3 (have always thought this was not advised but perhaps in my case it makes sense)? My goal was a top-10 program and remains so, I really only want to go back full-time to school for a certain level of education.

Background info:

- 27 year old white female
- 4+ years work experience at Sanofi Genyme, starting as a contracted project manager, then a full-time project manager, now in global demand management (in an Associate Director level role, if anyone is familiar with pharma leveling) - very high exposure / cross-functional roles managing high-profile programs, significant international experience both traveling and engaging with other functions of the business at the global and regional levels
- part-time pilates fitness instructor since 2016 as a second job / passion for health and wellness
- Vanderbilt University 2014 grad, GPA 3.42, Psychology major, Financial Econ and Corp Strat minors
- GMAT first attempt: 600 overall, IR 8, Quant 35, Verbal 38

I would love to leverage an MBA to break into a new industry while utilizing my background in pharma. I was thinking either consulting or VC in the life sciences.

I welcome any and all suggestions. I am truly at a crossroads right now and and unsure if I should try applying and focus on apps for the next month or retake an exam, or shift strategy entirely.
VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Re: Profile review request / next steps suggestion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 04:37
Hi slpx92,

Few thoughts on your profile.

1. Since you have already prepared for GMAT and given an attempt, it is good to stay with GMAT instead of shifting GRE and preparing from scratch.
2. If you are only targeting the top 10 programs specifically, it's good to retake GMAT and target a decent score i.e, 710+ to be in their bandwidth range with your given profile.
3. Considering your overall work experience you have faced major challenging roles(impressive) and any B school adcom will be interested to send you an invite to interview, but your GMAT score will definitely raise a challenge on getting a positive response.

Overall, it is suggestable to postpone your MBA for another year and focus on GMAT. Taking your age and work experience into consideration, it will good to take another shot in the upcoming year with GMAT and improve your profile with some more extracurriculars to boost your CV.

Cheers!

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Profile review request / next steps suggestion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 07:50
Get tutors for both sections wait a year and retake. I do recommend that you take a mock GRE exam, many of my clients have switched from the GMAT to the GRE with no GRE studying getting a far better result, allowing them to move forward with successful ivy apps. The quant is of the greatest importance.

As a white female in pharma you can score a little bit less than the class profile but not much. 20 pts maybe.

Over the coming year definitely develop your leadership profile in the area of community service. Board position ideal. HBS likes to see a habit of leadership and so find a way to have a positive impact inside and outside of work, to further leverage the year.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Profile review request / next steps suggestion   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2019, 07:50

Profile review request / next steps suggestion

new topic post reply Update application status