It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 17:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16214 [1], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (00:56) correct 59% (01:00) wrong based on 370 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 81: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16214 [1], given: 1953

Top Contributor
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7587 [3], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell ---- There are two acts the thieves do such as 1. pilfer X, Y, and Z and 2. sell the date. The best choice as I see.

B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling ---and selling is unparallel

C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling -- also preferring is an outright fragment

D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell -- not only are thieves' is not parallel to 'but also pilfer'

E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling -- 'but also pilfering' is a fragment.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Last edited by daagh on 14 Aug 2017, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 7587 [3], given: 360

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [2], given: 24

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA
CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 19:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

Correct idiom is "Not only X but also Y" or "Not only X but Y"
In options D and E, X and Y are not parallel to each other, in both the options, X is a noun and Y is a verb/action, so not parallel
Also in the actual sentence, thieves are doing 3 things: divert, pilfer, and sell--> hence these should be parallel
In option B and C, selling is not parallel

Hence A is the best answer which avoids all the above-mentioned problems

Kudos [?]: 7 [2], given: 24

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 113

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

can someone further explain why the answer choice is not D?

Not only are (verb) but also Pilfer (verb)

Isnt this the correct idiom?

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 113

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 115

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 01:20

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell -Not only but also is correct idiom
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling -Not only but also is correct idiom
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling -Not only but also is correct idiom
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell -Correct
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling -and selling is not parallel

However, "D" is also not parallel to "not only thieves" .... Waiting for the OE.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 115

Re: QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell ---- There are two acts the thieves do such as 1. pilfer X, Y, and Z and 2. sell the date. The best choice as I see.

B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling ---and selling is unparallel

C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling -- also preferring is an outright fragment

D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell -- not only are thieves' is not parallel to 'but also pilfer'

E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling -- 'but also pilfering' is a fragment.

Hello daagh,

Isn't the highlighted part wrong? The three things in red are a list while the "and" after list depicts the second action of the thieves. Shouldn't the second "and" come without a comma?

We have a general structure in the following way:
I bought papaya,apples, and orangeand ate ice cream.

Please throw some light.
Regards

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 115

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [4], given: 13

GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.73
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
Ashokshiva wrote:
Hi,

While the idiom "Not Only...But Also" is correct, note the placement of "thieves" in the first portion

"Thieves" is placed after Not Only. As such, we need another subject for the second part of the sentence as well. D is missing this.

For example we can say "Not only are thieves....but they can also" OR we can say "Thieves not only are.....but also pilter"

There's also a second error with D that relates to the meaning/parallelism of the sentence
There are 3 actions of parallelism that thieves in from the original sentence: divert cash.....pilter new information....and sell the data
In D, the meaning changes to divert cash....pilter new information including....contract bidding plans to sell the data
Note that now there's only 2 actions that is parallel. The original meaning of the sentence is that thieves sell the data to companies. In D the meaning changes to that the thieves pilter new information including contract bidding to sell the data to new companies. This is illogical since contract bidding are not used to sell data to new companies.

Hope this helps explain why D is incorrect! Please leave kudos if you like the explanation!

Kudos [?]: 1 [4], given: 13

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7587 [1], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
gmatexam
Hi
I do not think that a convention cannot be broken for the sake of clarity. Of course, we are led to think that between just two items in a list, there is no need to use a comma. However, if you wish to ensure that the second item is certainly a disparate item from the prior one, then there may be no harm in using that comma. However, I would have an open mind, if at least in GMAT some choice has been disqualified for using or misusing the Oxford comma. As you may see, this very OG question is a case in point that GMAT couldn't care less about it.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7587 [1], given: 360

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 204

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 07:14
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello daagh,

Isn't the highlighted part wrong? The three things in red are a list while the "and" after list depicts the second action of the thieves. Shouldn't the second "and" come without a comma?

Please throw some light.
Regards

Hi!
The orginal sentence says:
Not only are thieves able to do X, they can also do Y such as examples, and Z.

In your example, I will arrange the sentence as this:
I bought
    papaya, apples, and orange, (here comma is necessary-called Oxford Comma as pointed out by daagh)
and ate
    ice cream
Effectively, the sentence is I bought something and ate something.

Without the comma, your sentence would be
I bought
    papaya, apples, and oranges and ate ice cream
Above structure means that you bought
1. Papaya
2. Apples
3. Oranges and ate ice cream.

This structure doesn't make sense, but I've seen the use of Oxford Comma in questions from various sources-official and non official

Hope I helped :)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 204

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 07:16
souvik101990 wrote:

Quote:

The idiom 'not only.... but also' needs to be parallel => The sentences can either be "the thieves are not only able to.... but also pilfer..." or if the sentence remains as is, we require a subject after 'but also.
On that account both of these options are OUT!

Quote:

B is not parallel. 'They can also pilfer.... and selling'. OUT
C - 'also pilfering....' doesn't connect with the rest of the sentence. Plus, the verb-ing modifier 'selling....competitors' is incorrect. It needs to be part of the list. OUT!

Quote:

Only option remaining, and the correct answer :)

I think there is another GMAT Prep Question testing the 'Not Only... But Also' idiom in a similar fashion. Once I find the link, I'll share it here.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 99

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 07:47
AkshayKS21 wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello daagh,

Please throw some light.
Regards

Hi!
The orginal sentence says:
Not only are thieves able to do X, they can also do Y such as examples, and Z.

In your example, I will arrange the sentence as this:
I bought
    papaya, apples, and orange, (here comma is necessary-called Oxford Comma as pointed out by daagh)
and ate
    ice cream
Effectively, the sentence is I bought something and ate something.

Without the comma, your sentence would be
I bought
    papaya, apples, and oranges and ate ice cream
Above structure means that you bought
1. Papaya
2. Apples
3. Oranges and ate ice cream.

This structure doesn't make sense, but I've seen the use of Oxford Comma in questions from various sources-official and non official

Hope I helped :)

Hello Bruh,

I think you got your understanding wrong. What i wrote is absolutely correct.
Go through Thursdays with Ron video once, you will understand the difference. An oxford comma is used to segregate 2 independent events. Ideally we should use a full stop to separate the independent non-related sentences, but an oxford comma+and can also be used to depict the same.

Regards

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 125

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 12:54
I understand why option D is wrong due to parallelism. But what about the idiomatic structure in A? is it valid to say "not only...." and than do not follow the idiomatic structure ("not only...but also" or "not only....but)?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 125

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 01:25
daagh wrote:

As in the available option A is best.

just for knowledge, if there is another option as following would it be better than option A :

but also they pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell

Thanks,
J

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 120

GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 01:36
A for me

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

We must try to achieve the best within us

(Please like the below page on FB)

https://www.facebook.com/DeclutterCamp

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 120

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 05:47
jwang516 wrote:
Ashokshiva wrote:
Hi,

While the idiom "Not Only...But Also" is correct, note the placement of "thieves" in the first portion

"Thieves" is placed after Not Only. As such, we need another subject for the second part of the sentence as well. D is missing this.

For example we can say "Not only are thieves....but they can also" OR we can say "Thieves not only are.....but also pilter"

There's also a second error with D that relates to the meaning/parallelism of the sentence
There are 3 actions of parallelism that thieves in from the original sentence: divert cash.....pilter new information....and sell the data
In D, the meaning changes to divert cash....pilter new information including....contract bidding plans to sell the data
Note that now there's only 2 actions that is parallel. The original meaning of the sentence is that thieves sell the data to companies. In D the meaning changes to that the thieves pilter new information including contract bidding to sell the data to new companies. This is illogical since contract bidding are not used to sell data to new companies.

Hope this helps explain why D is incorrect! Please leave kudos if you like the explanation!

Hello,

"contract bidding plans" to sell data to new companies...................is it logical?

Regards,

Manuel

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 07:43
daagh wrote:

Dear Expert,

In choice A, the structure is as follow:

............not only VERB + Subject (an inversion).............+ subject CAN ALSO..................In this answer, the marker is incomplete and also does not follow the due order: Not only Subject + Verb.........but also Subject + verb. Is this structure: Not only X, also Y possible?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1332 [1], given: 363

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sorry, I'm late to the party on this one!

So I've seen a lot of test-takers make mistakes on this question, usually because of overreliance on an idiom “rule” that doesn’t really exist. If you see the phrase “not only”, that does NOT automatically mean that you need to have a “but also” somewhere else in the sentence! There’s no reason why you couldn’t use the phrase “not only” by itself, as long as it makes logical sense with the context of the sentence.

Don’t get me wrong: “not… but” phrases are pretty important on the GMAT, but only because they require parallelism. Basically, whatever follows the word “not” (or “not only”) must be structurally parallel to whatever follows the word “but” (or “but also”). (Similar parallelism rules apply to both/and and either/or constructions – more on these in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

But again, there’s nothing wrong with having “not only” without the “but also.”

Quote:

“They” jumps out at me right away, but I think it’s fine, since it refers to “thieves.” I suppose “they” could also refer to “bank accounts,” but I don’t think the pronoun is automatically wrong. Ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule (see our YouTube webinar on this pronouns for more), and “they” isn’t particularly confusing here.

The parallelism also seems OK, even if it doesn’t sound great. We have two different lists going on in (A). First, we have a pair of parallel verbs: “…they can also pilfer information… and sell data…” That seems fine. We also have a list of the types of information that thieves pilfer: “…such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans…” That’s just three parallel nouns – no problem. Keep (A).

Quote:

(B) is very similar to (A), except that the final “and” is followed by “selling.” And that’s a problem, because I don’t know what “selling” is parallel to: nothing in the sentence is in the same format. Logically, “selling” should be parallel to “pilfer”, but in that case, it should be “…they pilfer… and sell…”, as in answer choice (A). (B) can be eliminated.

Quote:

The big change here is that “pilfering” and “selling” are now “-ing” words – modifiers, in this case. (Feel free to check out our guide to “-ing” words for more on this topic.)

But that doesn’t really make any sense. “As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, pilfering valuable information…” For this to be correct, “pilfering valuable information” would have to modify “not only are thieves able to divert cash…” – and it simply doesn’t. These are completely different types of criminal activity, and the “pilfering valuable information” does not modify “diverting cash.”

Similarly, “selling” is basically hanging out on its own. I guess it’s trying to modify the previous phrase beginning with “pilfering”, but I can’t make much sense of that, either. (C) is out.

Quote:

OK, now we really do have a “not only… but also” structure, which means that we need to think about parallelism again. There’s not much wiggle-room here: whatever follows “not only” needs to be parallel to whatever follows “but also.”

So we have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfer valuable information…” This isn’t awful, but it doesn’t quite seem parallel to me: “not only are thieves” gives us a subject and a verb, but the “but also” is followed only by a verb.

Plus, “to sell” seems to only modify “contract bidding plans”, and that’s not quite right: the thieves are selling the strategies and specifications, too. (A) makes much more sense than (D).

Quote:

The parallelism is much more thoroughly flawed in (E). We have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfering valuable information…” Definitely not parallel. (E) is out, and (A) is the correct answer.

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1332 [1], given: 363

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 09:27
GMATNinja wrote:
Sorry, I'm late to the party on this one!

So I've seen a lot of test-takers make mistakes on this question, usually because of overreliance on an idiom “rule” that doesn’t really exist. If you see the phrase “not only”, that does NOT automatically mean that you need to have a “but also” somewhere else in the sentence! There’s no reason why you couldn’t use the phrase “not only” by itself, as long as it makes logical sense with the context of the sentence.

Don’t get me wrong: “not… but” phrases are pretty important on the GMAT, but only because they require parallelism. Basically, whatever follows the word “not” (or “not only”) must be structurally parallel to whatever follows the word “but” (or “but also”). (Similar parallelism rules apply to both/and and either/or constructions – more on these in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

But again, there’s nothing wrong with having “not only” without the “but also.”

Quote:

“They” jumps out at me right away, but I think it’s fine, since it refers to “thieves.” I suppose “they” could also refer to “bank accounts,” but I don’t think the pronoun is automatically wrong. Ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule (see our YouTube webinar on this pronouns for more), and “they” isn’t particularly confusing here.

The parallelism also seems OK, even if it doesn’t sound great. We have two different lists going on in (A). First, we have a pair of parallel verbs: “…they can also pilfer information… and sell data…” That seems fine. We also have a list of the types of information that thieves pilfer: “…such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans…” That’s just three parallel nouns – no problem. Keep (A).

Quote:

(B) is very similar to (A), except that the final “and” is followed by “selling.” And that’s a problem, because I don’t know what “selling” is parallel to: nothing in the sentence is in the same format. Logically, “selling” should be parallel to “pilfer”, but in that case, it should be “…they pilfer… and sell…”, as in answer choice (A). (B) can be eliminated.

Quote:

The big change here is that “pilfering” and “selling” are now “-ing” words – modifiers, in this case. (Feel free to check out our guide to “-ing” words for more on this topic.)

But that doesn’t really make any sense. “As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, pilfering valuable information…” For this to be correct, “pilfering valuable information” would have to modify “not only are thieves able to divert cash…” – and it simply doesn’t. These are completely different types of criminal activity, and the “pilfering valuable information” does not modify “diverting cash.”

Similarly, “selling” is basically hanging out on its own. I guess it’s trying to modify the previous phrase beginning with “pilfering”, but I can’t make much sense of that, either. (C) is out.

Quote:

OK, now we really do have a “not only… but also” structure, which means that we need to think about parallelism again. There’s not much wiggle-room here: whatever follows “not only” needs to be parallel to whatever follows “but also.”

So we have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfer valuable information…” This isn’t awful, but it doesn’t quite seem parallel to me: “not only are thieves” gives us a subject and a verb, but the “but also” is followed only by a verb.

Plus, “to sell” seems to only modify “contract bidding plans”, and that’s not quite right: the thieves are selling the strategies and specifications, too. (A) makes much more sense than (D).

Quote:

The parallelism is much more thoroughly flawed in (E). We have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfering valuable information…” Definitely not parallel. (E) is out, and (A) is the correct answer.

Dear Gmat Ninja

Does choices A have the folloing structure: Not only + Clause 1, Clause 2? If the word "also" were removed from the second clause, would choice A still correct?

Re: QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 09:27