Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticat [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Snigdha241 wrote:
Hi,

I have a doubt regarding this question.

they can also pilfer info such as----, and sell data...
",and" construction is used for to connect 2 ICs. But in this case, "'and sell data.." does not have a subject.

How is this construction OK?

please help.

Thanks in advance.

Snigdha

Quote:
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

I think some of the confusion here stems from the fact that there's one parallel list nested within another parallel list.

parallel list #1: "...they can also pilfer valuable information... and sell the data..."
    parallel list #2 (nested inside list #1): "... valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans..."

The comma between "plans" and the "and" (highlighted above) is NOT there to connect two independent clauses. Instead, it just helps separate list #2 ("such as... strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans") from list #1 ("pilfer... and sell"). This comma is simply used for clarity, and the GMAT is pretty flexible with that sort of comma usage. So there's no problem there at all.

prakhar992 wrote:
NOT ONLY..... BUT ALSO IS USED FOR ONLY TWO THINGS. FOR MORE THAN TWO ELEMENTS WE HAVE TO USE A PARALLEL LIST, RIGHT? CAN
GMATNinja PLEASE HELP.

Yes! The construction is, "... not only X but also Y," so it is generally used for two "things".

However, those "things" could certainly be comprised of multiple items, i.e.:

"Coconut oil is great not only 1) for culinary uses such as frying, sautéing, and baking but also 2) for health and beauty applications such as relieving skin irritation and protecting hair from UV damage."

I hope that helps!
UNC Kenan Flagler Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticat [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
So I've seen a lot of test-takers make mistakes on this question, usually because of overreliance on an idiom “rule” that doesn’t really exist. If you see the phrase “not only”, that does NOT automatically mean that you need to have a “but also” somewhere else in the sentence! There’s no reason why you couldn’t use the phrase “not only” by itself, as long as it makes logical sense with the context of the sentence.

Don’t get me wrong: “not… but” phrases are pretty important on the GMAT, but only because they require parallelism. Basically, whatever follows the word “not” (or “not only”) must be structurally parallel to whatever follows the word “but” (or “but also”). (Similar parallelism rules apply to both/and and either/or constructions – more on these in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

But again, there’s nothing wrong with having “not only” without the “but also.”

Quote:
A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell

“They” jumps out at me right away, but I think it’s fine, since it refers to “thieves.” I suppose “they” could also refer to “bank accounts,” but I don’t think the pronoun is automatically wrong. Ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule (see our YouTube webinar on this pronouns for more), and “they” isn’t particularly confusing here.

The parallelism also seems OK, even if it doesn’t sound great. We have two different lists going on in (A). First, we have a pair of parallel verbs: “…they can also pilfer information… and sell data…” That seems fine. We also have a list of the types of information that thieves pilfer: “…such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans…” That’s just three parallel nouns – no problem. Keep (A).

Quote:
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling

(B) is very similar to (A), except that the final “and” is followed by “selling.” And that’s a problem, because I don’t know what “selling” is parallel to: nothing in the sentence is in the same format. Logically, “selling” should be parallel to “pilfer”, but in that case, it should be “…they pilfer… and sell…”, as in answer choice (A). (B) can be eliminated.

Quote:
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling

The big change here is that “pilfering” and “selling” are now “-ing” words – modifiers, in this case. (Feel free to check out our guide to “-ing” words for more on this topic.)

But that doesn’t really make any sense. “As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, pilfering valuable information…” For this to be correct, “pilfering valuable information” would have to modify “not only are thieves able to divert cash…” – and it simply doesn’t. These are completely different types of criminal activity, and the “pilfering valuable information” does not modify “diverting cash.”

Similarly, “selling” is basically hanging out on its own. I guess it’s trying to modify the previous phrase beginning with “pilfering”, but I can’t make much sense of that, either. (C) is out.

Quote:
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell

OK, now we really do have a “not only… but also” structure, which means that we need to think about parallelism again. There’s not much wiggle-room here: whatever follows “not only” needs to be parallel to whatever follows “but also.”

So we have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfer valuable information…” This isn’t awful, but it doesn’t quite seem parallel to me: “not only are thieves” gives us a subject and a verb, but the “but also” is followed only by a verb.

Plus, “to sell” seems to only modify “contract bidding plans”, and that’s not quite right: the thieves are selling the strategies and specifications, too. (A) makes much more sense than (D).

Quote:
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

The parallelism is much more thoroughly flawed in (E). We have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfering valuable information…” Definitely not parallel. (E) is out, and (A) is the correct answer.

Dear GMATNinja,

First of all, wishing you a very happy Christmas and a very happy upcoming new year!

While parallelism is undoubtedly faulty in all of the incorrect answer choices, there is the below split which I used to eliminate options B and C straightaway. It would be great if you can through some light on the split and review my approach.

My understanding of the correct version:
Correct version - valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans
Out of all the varieties of valuable information available these thieves pilfered 3 pieces i.e. business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans

My understanding of the versions in B and C:
Usage in B - valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans
Usage in C - valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans

What I understand is that the thieves pilfered all the available varieties of valuable information (against only the 3 specified in the correct version) and part of what they pilfered included business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans

Warm Regards,
Pritishd
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pritishd wrote:
Dear GMATNinja,

First of all, wishing you a very happy Christmas and a very happy upcoming new year!

While parallelism is undoubtedly faulty in all of the incorrect answer choices, there is the below split which I used to eliminate options B and C straightaway. It would be great if you can through some light on the split and review my approach.

My understanding of the correct version:
Correct version - valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans
Out of all the varieties of valuable information available these thieves pilfered 3 pieces i.e. business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans

My understanding of the versions in B and C:
Usage in B - valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans
Usage in C - valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans

What I understand is that the thieves pilfered all the available varieties of valuable information (against only the 3 specified in the correct version) and part of what they pilfered included business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans

Warm Regards,
Pritishd

First of all, I certainly don't think the distinction between 1) "valuable information such as", 2) "valuable information that includes", and 3) "valuable information including" is enough to eliminate anything, so I honestly don't think it's worth splitting hairs here.

That said, I'm not sure I entirely agree with your interpretation. In choice (A), we are told that the thieves can pilfer valuable information. We are then given a few examples of types of information that can be pilfered: 1) business development strategies, 2) new product specifications, and 3) contract bidding plans. Does that mean that the thieves can ONLY steal those three types of valuable information? No -- those are just three examples.

You could argue that (B) and (C) have a slightly different shade of meaning. In these two, it seems like the ONLY types of valuable information that can be pilfered are the types that include 1) business development strategies, 2) new product specifications, and 3) contract bidding plans. Does that mean that valuable information that does NOT include those three things cannot be pilfered? It's not totally clear.

Again, that is certainly not a reason to eliminate (B) and (C). Luckily, we have much bigger fish to fry (i.e. parallelism), and (A) makes the most sense: the thieves can pilfer valuable information, and "such as" is properly used to introduce three examples of valuable information that can be pilfered.

navderm wrote:
Great post, as always.
I have a question though. You mentioned that in (D), 'to sell' seems to modify only 'contract bidding plans'. But I understood 'to sell' to modify 'pilfer valuable information' hence written correctly here. Could you shed more light on why you think 'to sell' modifies only 'contract bidding plans'.

Let's compare the following:

• "I packed a sleeping bag, a tent, and coffee to drink in the morning." - In this case, "to drink..." clearly modifies coffee, not "packed".
  • "... pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell..." - Does "to sell" modify "contract bidding plans" or "pilfer"? Well, "to sell" is right next to "contract bidding plans" and that's a good place to put something that modifies "contract bidding plans" (just as "to drink" modifies "coffee" in the previous example). Could "to sell" modify "pilfer"? Sure... that's certainly the more logical interpretation. The problem is that the meaning isn't clear, and (D) lends itself to an inaccurate interpretation. The correct meaning is much more clear in choice (A).

Regardless, the parallelism issue allows us to eliminate (D) without question, so we don't need to rely on this detail.

I hope this helps!
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell

OK, now we really do have a “not only… but also” structure, which means that we need to think about parallelism again. There’s not much wiggle-room here: whatever follows “not only” needs to be parallel to whatever follows “but also.”

So we have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfer valuable information…” This isn’t awful, but it doesn’t quite seem parallel to me: “not only are thieves” gives us a subject and a verb, but the “but also” is followed only by a verb.

GMATNinja
Hello sir,
Thanks for the nice explanation.
I've a query on your explanation on the basis of choice D.
What if I say the following sentence?
GMATNinja not only scored the perfect score in GRE but also scored the perfect score in GMAT.
In this example, We've used 'GMATNinja' as subject and 'scored' as verb, but we did not use any 'subject' for the 'but also' part. It seems that the above sentence is still right. So, why NOT D (at least with the point of 'subject and verb' issue)?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

GMATNinja
Hello sir,
GMATNinja not only scored the perfect score in GRE but also scored the perfect score in GMAT.
In this example, We've used 'GMATNinja' as subject and 'scored' as verb, but we did not use any 'subject' for the 'but also' part. It seems that the above sentence is still right. So, why NOT D (at least with the point of 'subject and verb' issue)?

In your example, "GMATNinja" comes before the "not only... but also" structure. That means that the subject, "GMATNinja", is actually shared by both parts.

In case that isn't clear, consider these two examples:

• "Asad (1) studied for the GMAT and (2) was admitted to Stanford." - Here we have two parallel verbs ("studied" and "was") that clearly share the subject "Asad". No problem at all.
  • "Asad not only (1) studied for the GMAT but also (2) was admitted to Stanford." - Here we basically have the same thing, but with a "not only... but also" structure. As with the simple "and" structure in the previous example, the two parallel verbs share the subject "Asad". Again, no problem at all!

I hope that helps!
GMATNinja wrote:
Asad wrote:
GMATNinja
Hello sir,

In your example, "GMATNinja" comes before the "not only... but also" structure. That means that the subject, "GMATNinja", is actually shared by both parts.

• "Asad (1) studied for the GMAT and (2) was admitted to Stanford." - Here we have two parallel verbs ("studied" and "was") that clearly share the subject "Asad". No problem at all.
  • "Asad not only (1) studied for the GMAT but also (2) was admitted to Stanford." - Here we basically have the same thing, but with a "not only... but also" structure. As with the simple "and" structure in the previous example, the two parallel verbs share the subject "Asad". Again, no problem at all!

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
Thank you sir for the response.
So, it seems that there is no problem in the parallelism issue. But, i asked this question because you said that This isn’t awful, but it doesn’t quite seem parallel to me.
So, we can't cross out choice D on the basis of parallelism issue, right?

Curiosity to know: Sir, how do you know that i am a fan of ''Stanford''? :) :? :) :? :) :?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Asad wrote:
GMATNinja
Hello sir,

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
Thank you sir for the response.
So, it seems that there is no problem in the parallelism issue. But, i asked this question because you said that This isn’t awful, but it doesn’t quite seem parallel to me.
So, we can't cross out choice D on the basis of parallelism issue, right?

Curiosity to know: Sir, how do you know that i am a fan of ''Stanford''? :) :? :) :? :) :?

Lucky guess -- who on this forum isn't a fan of Stanford?? ;)

The structure in choice (D) is entirely different than the structure in the examples from the last couple posts.

The parallelism in choice (D) is more like this: "Not only is Asad a fan of Stanford but also studies for the GMAT." I said that this isn't awful because we do have a verb after both the "not only" and the "but also". However, the first item contains a subject and a verb while the second item only contains a verb. That's why the parallelism isn't great in (D) and why (A) is a better option.

Choice (A) doesn't have a not only/but also structure, so it avoids the parallelism concern associated with that structure. Instead, (A) gives us something akin to, "Not only is Asad a fan of Stanford, but he also studies for the GMAT."

And as I attempted to explain in this post, just because you have the phrase "not only" does NOT automatically mean that you need a corresponding "but also" part.

I hope that helps a bit! And go Cardinals?

Originally posted by GMATNinja on 28 Apr 2020, 08:22.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 22 May 2020, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
fixed typo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Daagh, you're bringing this to a whole new level of grammar intensity! Always fun. (And yes, apparently I'm a grammar nerd or something. I guess it says that in my job title...?)

Disclaimer: unless you really love grammar, just stop reading right now. This isn't an important rant for most test-takers -- there are dozens (hundreds?) of far more important things to worry about on the GMAT.

OK, so answer choice (A) has three components:

Quote:
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated

So component #1 is clearly a dependent clause. On to #2:

Quote:
not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts

Ah, here it is: this can't stand alone as a sentence, either. Sure, it doesn't have a standard "marker" that "turns" an independent clause into a dependent clause (although, but, and, because, etc.), but it's still a dependent clause: it has a subject and a verb, but can't stand alone -- at least not the way it's written in (A).

So we have two dependent clauses so far. On to part #3:

Quote:
they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

And there's our independent clause. So we don't have a comma splice here, and GMAC didn't actually make a mistake in this case -- it's just that the middle clause is super-sneaky.

I hope this helps! And seriously: if you're not daagh and you didn't follow this explanation, please don't worry about it. Again, parallelism and other issues are way more important here.

GMATNinja I rejected A because ", and send the data to competitors." .

, and is used to connect two Independent clauses. but in this there is no Subject. Its in the previous clause. Please advise.

Thanks
Kunal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
I agree with eddy8700... parallelism is an issue in choice D because "not only" is followed by a subject and a verb (subject: "thieves", verb: "are"); therefore, "but also" would also need to be followed by a subject and a verb. In choice D, "but also" is followed only by the verb "pilfer", but no subject. Consider the following example: "Not only do you play tennis, but also coach rugby." This is incorrect for the same reason. Instead, you could use "Not only do you play tennis, but you also coach rugby." or "You not only play tennis but also coach rugby."

Similarly, the following sentence, which mimics choice D, is acceptable: "Thieves not only divert cash from company bank accounts but also pilfer valuable information." ("not only" + verb... "but also" + verb)

HI GMATNinja,

Is it necessary to have the verb first after not only if the verb is not before Not only structure?
For example, is it correct to say: Not only i play tennis but also i play rugby./Not only i play tennis but i also play rugby/Not only do i play tennis but i also play rugby?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
daagh wrote:
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell ---- There are two acts the thieves do such as 1. pilfer X, Y, and Z and 2. sell the date. The best choice as I see.

B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling ---and selling is unparallel

C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling -- also preferring is an outright fragment

D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell -- not only are thieves' is not parallel to 'but also pilfer'

E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling -- 'but also pilfering' is a fragment.

Hi Daagh/any expert,

Can't thieves be an implied subject after but also, just as we have in some cases of ellipses?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
So I've seen a lot of test-takers make mistakes on this question, usually because of overreliance on an idiom “rule” that doesn’t really exist. If you see the phrase “not only”, that does NOT automatically mean that you need to have a “but also” somewhere else in the sentence! There’s no reason why you couldn’t use the phrase “not only” by itself, as long as it makes logical sense with the context of the sentence.

Don’t get me wrong: “not… but” phrases are pretty important on the GMAT, but only because they require parallelism. Basically, whatever follows the word “not” (or “not only”) must be structurally parallel to whatever follows the word “but” (or “but also”). (Similar parallelism rules apply to both/and and either/or constructions – more on these in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

But again, there’s nothing wrong with having “not only” without the “but also.”

Quote:
A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell

“They” jumps out at me right away, but I think it’s fine, since it refers to “thieves.” I suppose “they” could also refer to “bank accounts,” but I don’t think the pronoun is automatically wrong. Ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule (see our YouTube webinar on this pronouns for more), and “they” isn’t particularly confusing here.

The parallelism also seems OK, even if it doesn’t sound great. We have two different lists going on in (A). First, we have a pair of parallel verbs: “…they can also pilfer information… and sell data…” That seems fine. We also have a list of the types of information that thieves pilfer: “…such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans…” That’s just three parallel nouns – no problem. Keep (A).

Quote:
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling

(B) is very similar to (A), except that the final “and” is followed by “selling.” And that’s a problem, because I don’t know what “selling” is parallel to: nothing in the sentence is in the same format. Logically, “selling” should be parallel to “pilfer”, but in that case, it should be “…they pilfer… and sell…”, as in answer choice (A). (B) can be eliminated.

Quote:
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling

The big change here is that “pilfering” and “selling” are now “-ing” words – modifiers, in this case. (Feel free to check out our guide to “-ing” words for more on this topic.)

But that doesn’t really make any sense. “As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, pilfering valuable information…” For this to be correct, “pilfering valuable information” would have to modify “not only are thieves able to divert cash…” – and it simply doesn’t. These are completely different types of criminal activity, and the “pilfering valuable information” does not modify “diverting cash.”

Similarly, “selling” is basically hanging out on its own. I guess it’s trying to modify the previous phrase beginning with “pilfering”, but I can’t make much sense of that, either. (C) is out.

Quote:

Plus, “to sell” seems to only modify “contract bidding plans”, and that’s not quite right: the thieves are selling the strategies and specifications, too. (A) makes much more sense than (D).

Quote:
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

The parallelism is much more thoroughly flawed in (E). We have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfering valuable information…” Definitely not parallel. (E) is out, and (A) is the correct answer.

So in option C, according to you then what does "pilfering valuable information" refer to? It seems that it is correctly refering to "not only are thieves able to divert cash…”. Can you please elaborate more on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Can someone please explain why the "," after bidding plans is needed?

"they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell"

why is the following not correct?

they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and sell (without the comma after bidding)

I've read so many webpages on comma rules and can't seem to find a rule for why there needs to be a comma there. I understand it "looks" better in that it separates the list "strategies... and bidding plans..." from "and sell..." but can't seem to find any definitive rule anywhere on why this is the case.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
miiicho wrote:
Can someone please explain why the "," after bidding plans is needed?

"they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell"

why is the following not correct?

they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and sell (without the comma after bidding)

I've read so many webpages on comma rules and can't seem to find a rule for why there needs to be a comma there. I understand it "looks" better in that it separates the list "strategies... and bidding plans..." from "and sell..." but can't seem to find any definitive rule anywhere on why this is the case.

Thanks for the help in advance.

miiicho
You are correct but better looking is not the only reason.
The sentence should make sense thus "comma" is necessary to separate strategies and other phrase.
If you have two independent clauses on either side of an "and", then you definitely need a comma before the "and".
Hope it helps :)
EducationAisle wrote:
RatneshS wrote:
If we had a construction as;;;As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell the data to competitors.
Would this be a right construction? I asked this question because I want to understand the reasoning for the end part of 2 options,
VS

Hi Ratnesh, generally with a not only...but also structure, the verb is outside of the idiomatic construct. So, a better sentence would be:

....thieves can not only divert cash from company bank accounts but also pilfer valuable information...

Even in the sentence that you have suggested, at the very least, I would add a can to the second part, so as to not change the meaning of the original sentence.

...thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also can pilfer valuable information....

EducationAisle
So, do you think that it'll still make sense if we remove 'they' from the correct sentence (A)?
EducationAisle wrote:
Actually not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts is also not an IC. The presence of not only clearly indicates that there is something else to follow.

In fact, the real lesson to learn from this sentence is that not only need not necessarily be followed by but also.

The correct sentence:
EducationAisle
Quote:
The presence of not only clearly indicates that there is something else to follow.

If this is the real case, "they can also pilfer valuable information...." is also NOT an IC! The same reason that you put is: The presence of also clearly indicates that there is something else to follow.
Could you share your thought, please?

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 02 Aug 2020, 11:35.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 02 Aug 2020, 12:57, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
So, do you think that it'll still make sense if we remove 'they' from the correct sentence (A)?

Hi TheUltimateWinner, without they, option A will be:

Is this what you are suggesting?
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
RatneshS wrote:
If we had a construction as;;;As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell the data to competitors.
Would this be a right construction? I asked this question because I want to understand the reasoning for the end part of 2 options,
VS

Hi Ratnesh, generally with a not only...but also structure, the verb is outside of the idiomatic construct. So, a better sentence would be:

....thieves can not only divert cash from company bank accounts but also pilfer valuable information...

Even in the sentence that you have suggested, at the very least, I would add a can to the second part, so as to not change the meaning of the original sentence.

...thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also can pilfer valuable information....

EducationAisle

EducationAisle wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Hi TheUltimateWinner, without they, option A will be:

Is this what you are suggesting?

EducationAisle
No.
In the highlighted part, you did not put 'they'. My question is: is that highlighted part that you suggests to RatneshS is correct without 'they'?
I'm asking this because it does not make sense to me, but i still don't know why it does not make sense to me :) !
Also, i don't know why did you put COMMA before 'but also'?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
In the highlighted part, you did not put 'they'.

Hi TheUltimateWinner, the version suggested above is:

thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also pilfer valuable information

Notice that the parallelism here is:

Not only X But also Y

So, X and Y have to parallel. Here, the parallelism is between two verbs: are and pilfer.

Hence, we cannot put they in this version.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts