Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 09:30

R2 Decisions:

Berkeley Haas; Decision Tracker (Join Chat Room 5)  |  Yale SOM; Decision Tracker (Join Chat Room 4

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 15

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:07) correct 57% (00:56) wrong based on 1347 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

This question does not follow the idiom not only - but also. Why? And when is it acceptable to not use it? This is an OG2017 quesiton.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
G
Followers: 371

Kudos [?]: 3824 [5] , given: 106

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shadowfax1 wrote:
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

This question does not follow the idiom not only - but also. Why? And when is it acceptable to not use it? This is an OG2017 quesiton.

Hi,

It is not that But also would be wrong here, its only that the choices containing "not only ... but also" have other errors..
At times to lay more emphais, NOT ONLY is followed by a CLAUSE here .... so "but also" should have a clause..
But choices D and E are missing the SUBJECT, hence wrong..
even C does not have a subject..

A and B have "subject" but 'such as' is correctly used in A to give examples..

A

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 72 [2] , given: 15

Re: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for replying. I was thrown off because, I always eliminate choices that don't contain but also when not only is present. This is the first question I have seen where but also has not been used with not only. So something to keep in mind for future questions. I went for the wrong choice because I was trying to find the idiom match.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 10:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,
In Not only....but also construction, also is optional. There are many instances of Not Only...but construction in OG. However this is the first question that omits but in the correct answer. Answer choices CDE are clearly wrong as the clause after but in D and E is missing subject. Similar problem with C.

But constructions in A and B are weird

1) Never seen one statement that uses only.....Not Only....missing but

2) The section with in two commas is in inverted form
- not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts. Lets change the S-V order

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, thieves are not only able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information....

Does it look parallel now ? Yes it does
Not only....also are parallel markers in its right place. I am guessing but is unnecessary as there are is no contrasting idea offered in the second statement. It looks like continuation of previous idea indicating that but is unnecessary.

Good question though. In exam conditions I would have chosen A without understanding the reason behind it as other choices are just plain wrong.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 296

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 20:00
This post received
KUDOS
chetan2u wrote:
shadowfax1 wrote:

Hi,

It is not that But also would be wrong here, its only that the choices containing "not only ... but also" have other errors..
At times to lay more emphais, NOT ONLY is followed by a CLAUSE here .... so "but also" should have a clause..

A

If we had a construction as;;;As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell the data to competitors.
Would this be a right construction? I asked this question because I want to understand the reasoning for the end part of 2 options,
VS
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 223 [1] , given: 9

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
RatneshS wrote:
If we had a construction as;;;As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell the data to competitors.
Would this be a right construction? I asked this question because I want to understand the reasoning for the end part of 2 options,
VS

Hi Ratnesh, generally with a not only...but also structure, the verb is outside of the idiomatic construct. So, a better sentence would be:

....thieves can not only divert cash from company bank accounts but also pilfer valuable information...

Even in the sentence that you have suggested, at the very least, I would add a can to the second part, so as to not change the meaning of the original sentence.

...thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also can pilfer valuable information....

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 296

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 00:41
EducationAisle wrote:
RatneshS wrote:
VS

Hi Ratnesh, generally with a not only...but also structure, the verb is outside of the idiomatic construct. So, a better sentence would be:

....thieves can not only divert cash from company bank accounts but also pilfer valuable information...

Even in the sentence that you have suggested, at the very least, I would add a can to the second part, so as to not change the meaning of the original sentence.

...thieves not only are able to divert cash from company bank accounts, but also can pilfer valuable information....

This clarifies 1st part of my doubt. I want to ask about the last part of sentence
thieves pilfer to sell VS thieves pilfer and sell;; which is more correct form?

I thought that pilfer to sell calls out an objective for a thief to do something while pilfer and sell are two different actions unrelated to each other. I found former one more standard.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q0 V0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 194

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 03:29
chetan2u wrote:
shadowfax1 wrote:

Hi,

A

hichetan2u can option D be eliminated because of "and contract bidding plans to sell the data to competitors , i think here the list after "such as" changes in comparison to original sentence.
Correct me if i'm wrong
Director
Director
B
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 22:56
RatneshS wrote:
I want to ask about the last part of sentence

I thought that pilfer to sell calls out an objective for a thief to do something while pilfer and sell are two different actions unrelated to each other. I found former one more standard.

Hi Ratnesh, you are right that infinitives (to sell in this case) show intent.

However, in this case, the use of infinitive seems to be slightly changing the meaning of the original sentence. The original sentence says that thieves can do two things: They can -

i) pilfer data and
ii) sell the data

So, the original sentence suggests that the pilfered data can be sold.

On the other hand, D suggests that the data is pilfered with the sole intent of being sold. That's a slight change in meaning.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 04:57
One more sentence correction problem where blindly following not only.....but also can be problematic.

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

The answer choice

B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also......

is wrong because of no apparent reasons. The correct answer has the following construction....

D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also

However Option D is right only with ...but it also......no mention of not only.

The manhattan SC forum explains the problem in the meaning of the original statement and in the option D. Reproducing exact statement from Ron's reply.

rhetorically, the "not only ... but also" construction is used for 2 parallel items that reinforce each other.

It looks like "not only ... but also" constructions cann't be taken at their face values.

-SouthCity
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 11:07
chetan2u wrote:
shadowfax1 wrote:

Hi,

A

Don't u think we would need a comma with a conjunction before we start the "they can .."
I believe it would result in a run on statement
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 09:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In option A, should ", and sell" be preceded by a comma ?

As per MGMAT , if two verbs have the same subject then the comma is not required.

Here , pilfer and sell have the same subject.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 11:20
IMO !!

Between A and D

They divert cash,pilfer valuable information....,contract bidding plans ,and sell the data to competitors.

is different from

They divert cash,pilfer valuable information ....,contract bidding plans to sell the data to competitors.

D changes the meaning .

A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 11:57
EducationAisle wrote:
RatneshS wrote:

However, in this case, the use of infinitive seems to be slightly changing the meaning of the original sentence. The original sentence says that thieves can do two things: They can -

i) pilfer data and
ii) sell the data

On the other hand, D suggests that the data is pilfered with the sole intent of being sold. That's a slight change in meaning.

Won't we need a conjunction before the "they can also.." . This would result in a run on statement, won't it?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 432

Kudos [?]: 1913 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 15:29
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rahulkashyap wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
RatneshS wrote:

i) pilfer data and
ii) sell the data

Won't we need a conjunction before the "they can also.." . This would result in a run on statement, won't it?

Posted from my mobile device Image

The conjunction is already there. It's called a correlative conjunction: not only... (but) also.. ("but" is omitted here)

Consider the following sentence:
Not only I love her, but also I can die for her.
Not only ... but also.. is the correlative conjunction and when a correlative conjunction is there, we would not require a coordinating conjunction such as and, but etc.

The above can also be written as:
Not only I love her, I can also die for her.
Not only...also.. is the correlative conjunction and hence we do not require a coordinating conjunction.

Some other correlative conjunctions are either.. or, neither...nor, both.. and...

When either a correlative or a coordinating conjunction is used to join two independent clauses, the sentence is not considered run-on.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 00:18
The idiom is "not only X but also Y"

So if the not only but also rule were supposed to be the actual split, then the options with but only would read like:
...not only are thieves....but also "are thieves"....

But in D and E, we cannot find the subject. Rather the options begin with a verb. Hence parallelism broken. Therefore incorrect.

Ofcourse, there is the subtle difference in meaning but under exam conditions, I'll hardly be able to recognise/spot the meaning issue. Hence, I'll stick to the issue in the false split and eliminate options D and C. Once done, option A reads correct.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 00:20
Typo: "will eliminate options D and E "

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 432

Kudos [?]: 1913 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 14:18
royrijit1 wrote:
Typo: "will eliminate options D and E "

No, it is not a typo. You already mentioned "will" in the first part of your sentence. It covers both the verbs.

I will go there and play..... correct. (means I will go, and I will play)

Similarly,
I will stick and eliminate... correct.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q50 V25

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 116

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 04:46
one of the method to eliminate answer choices is that..
pilfer and sell should be parallel
these activities are performed by thieves.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [2] , given: 141

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
I think, the only reason this is a 700 level question is because of our tendency to blindly go for 'seemingly correct constructions' of Idioms. Here. It was always only between A and D. So lemme talk only about those.

D is wrong for multiple reasons:

1) The construction Not only... But also is incorrect
Even if you chose D on the basis of this idiom, you faltered! The correct construction of the idiom "Not only X... But also Y" requires X and Y to be parallel or of similar type.

Here's something from OG15 on this:
Correlatives: Word combinations such as “not only … but also” should be followed by an element of
the same grammatical type.
Examples:
Correct: “I have called not only to thank her but also to tell her about the next meeting.”
Incorrect: “I have called not only to thank her but also I told her about the next meeting.”

Coming back to the question, this is what we have in D-
"Not only are thieves able to... but also pilfer"
i.e. Not only subject/noun/doer... but also verb/action

Thieves not only divert... but also pilfer - Correct
Not only thieves divert... but also they pilfer - Correct

But the mixture of the 2- Incorrect :)

2) It changes the meaning:

Original meaning: Thieves do X, Y and Z
D says: Thieves do X, Y to achieve Z

"They pilfer the information AND sell" vs "They pilfer the information TO sell"

Quite a big shift, isnt it?

A, on the other hand, has no issue!

That was my reasoning, plz correct me if im wrong

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Re: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2016, 06:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ]