GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     03:00 PM EST

     04:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 165
Location: United States
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2014, 00:05
8
31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:38) correct 48% (01:50) wrong based on 1089 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a reputation of poor quality, Lanzillotti’s Pizzeria launched a city-wide marketing campaign reintroducing its pizza as being made with organic ingredients and flavorful sauces, evidence of a new emphasis on quality pizza. But after visiting Lanzillotti’s last night I can only conclude that the reintroduction was simply empty advertising language, as my pizza tasted no better than the pizza I had eaten at Valvano’s earlier in the week.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the reviewer’s conclusion?

A. Valvano’s Pizza is not known for using organic ingredients in its pizzas.
B. Other diners on the same evening also reported that Lanzillotti’s pizza was no better than Valvano’s.
C. Valvano’s Pizza is not considered among the highest-quality pizzas in town.
D. The reviewer ordered the most popular pizza that Lanzillotti’s offers.
E. Lanzillotti’s appetizers and desserts were not made with organic ingredients.

Kudos me if you like the post !!!!

_________________

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 12:04
3
5
ronr34 wrote:
Very tough.
I chose A.
Both A and C basically say the same thing with a subtle difference: A talks about known ingredients, while C talks about quality in general.
I chose A, because we are trying to find out if the L pizza is using organic ingredients (something that apparently affects the taste)...
Can someone help out with this?


This really does come down to a debate between A and C and you have to determine which point most strengthens the argument. The argument states that the Lanzillotti’s pizza is struggling due to poor quality. Notice they say poor quality, not a lack of organic ingredients. Customers don't necessarily stop buying because the pizza isn't organic, it just isn't good. [I guess you have to assume that general quality in the pizza world is pretty focused around taste.] In order to change the perception in the minds of the consumers, Lanzillotti’s pizza started a marketing campaign around organic ingredients and flavorful sauces, to provide some evidence that the company is focused on the quality of the pizza. Again, the end result or focus of the chance is the quality of the pizza, not the inclusion of organic ingredients. In the conclusion, the author states that the Lanzillotti’s pizza tasted no better than Valvanos - again that is an overall quality assessment. The author did not talk about the level of organic ingredients when compared with Valvanos - he talked about the overall quality of the pizza and equated it to Valvanos. Choice C states that Valvanos isn't particularly good, so matching Valvanos in terms of quality means that quality of the pizza hasn't really improved after all. C is the correct answer.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 165
Location: United States
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2014, 00:06
2
Solution
C. The gap in logic in the author’s argument is that he uses the premise “Lanzillotti’s pizza is no better than Valvano’s pizza” as evidence that Lanzillotti’s pizza has not raised its quality. But this is a generalization – if Valvano’s is the best pizza in town, then Lanzillotti’s has made huge strides to get to that level. Accordingly, answer choice C is correct, as it removes the flaw in that argument. If Valvano’s is not the highest-quality pizza, then being on the same level as Valvano’s is not necessarily indicative of high quality in itself.
_________________

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 367
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 07:46
1
Very tough.
I chose A.
Both A and C basically say the same thing with a subtle difference: A talks about known ingredients, while C talks about quality in general.
I chose A, because we are trying to find out if the L pizza is using organic ingredients (something that apparently affects the taste)...
Can someone help out with this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 367
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 07:26
KyleWiddison wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
Very tough.
I chose A.
Both A and C basically say the same thing with a subtle difference: A talks about known ingredients, while C talks about quality in general.
I chose A, because we are trying to find out if the L pizza is using organic ingredients (something that apparently affects the taste)...
Can someone help out with this?


This really does come down to a debate between A and C and you have to determine which point most strengthens the argument. The argument states that the Lanzillotti’s pizza is struggling due to poor quality. Notice they say poor quality, not a lack of organic ingredients. Customers don't necessarily stop buying because the pizza isn't organic, it just isn't good. [I guess you have to assume that general quality in the pizza world is pretty focused around taste.] In order to change the perception in the minds of the consumers, Lanzillotti’s pizza started a marketing campaign around organic ingredients and flavorful sauces, to provide some evidence that the company is focused on the quality of the pizza. Again, the end result or focus of the chance is the quality of the pizza, not the inclusion of organic ingredients. In the conclusion, the author states that the Lanzillotti’s pizza tasted no better than Valvanos - again that is an overall quality assessment. The author did not talk about the level of organic ingredients when compared with Valvanos - he talked about the overall quality of the pizza and equated it to Valvanos. Choice C states that Valvanos isn't particularly good, so matching Valvanos in terms of quality means that quality of the pizza hasn't really improved after all. C is the correct answer.

KW

I understand where you're coming from, but I recognized a link between organic ingredients and quality Pizza.
Also, when the writer concludes that there was false advertisement on behalf of the pizza place.
But the advertisement was for use of organic products to upgrade the quality of the pizza.
maybe it wasn't enough, but how can the writer conclude that the advertisement was false?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 09:40
3
ronr34 wrote:
I understand where you're coming from, but I recognized a link between organic ingredients and quality Pizza.
Also, when the writer concludes that there was false advertisement on behalf of the pizza place.
But the advertisement was for use of organic products to upgrade the quality of the pizza.
maybe it wasn't enough, but how can the writer conclude that the advertisement was false?


Be careful with the exact wording of the arguments. There isn't a specific link made between organic ingredients and taste. That link is an assumption you have to make because the argument only states that the pizza was reintroduced with a marketing campaign that notes organic ingredients and flavorful sauces. Organic ingredients are not inherently yummy - a pizza full of organic carrots is probably not tasty.

Also, look carefully at the wording of the conclusion. The author's conclusion is that the reintroduction of the pizza (which was initiated with a marketing campaign that talked about organic ingredients) was just empty marketing language and didn't actually result in good tasting pizza. The author didn't say the company lied in the marketing campaign by not using organic ingredients. The use of organic ingredients is simply a component of the advertising campaign's attempt to convince people that there were real changes to the pizza that should result in better quality. The conclusion (main point) of the argument is that the pizza isn't actually good, regardless of the ingredients!

Does that clear things up?

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 367
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 12:46
KyleWiddison wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
I understand where you're coming from, but I recognized a link between organic ingredients and quality Pizza.
Also, when the writer concludes that there was false advertisement on behalf of the pizza place.
But the advertisement was for use of organic products to upgrade the quality of the pizza.
maybe it wasn't enough, but how can the writer conclude that the advertisement was false?


Be careful with the exact wording of the arguments. There isn't a specific link made between organic ingredients and taste. That link is an assumption you have to make because the argument only states that the pizza was reintroduced with a marketing campaign that notes organic ingredients and flavorful sauces. Organic ingredients are not inherently yummy - a pizza full of organic carrots is probably not tasty.

Also, look carefully at the wording of the conclusion. The author's conclusion is that the reintroduction of the pizza (which was initiated with a marketing campaign that talked about organic ingredients) was just empty marketing language and didn't actually result in good tasting pizza. The author didn't say the company lied in the marketing campaign by not using organic ingredients. The use of organic ingredients is simply a component of the advertising campaign's attempt to convince people that there were real changes to the pizza that should result in better quality. The conclusion (main point) of the argument is that the pizza isn't actually good, regardless of the ingredients!

Does that clear things up?

KW

Yes.. kind of...
still not sure i'll be able to figure a similar question later on my own
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 12:29
ronr34 wrote:

Yes.. kind of...
still not sure i'll be able to figure a similar question later on my own


Let's look at your situation. First of all, you eliminated your way to the 2 choices that were the most reasonable. If you are able to do that consistently you are greatly increasing your odds (and therefore score) on CR. Fine tuning your CR abilities is difficult and takes time. In the future, as you eliminate down to 2 choices, look carefully and the small differences between the 2 and go back to the wording of the argument. Then, as you review your work, review very closely those questions where you got down to 2 choices (even those you got right). Pay close attention to why the GMAT says one is right and one is wrong.

You will get there in time. Recognize that you won't be perfect - I still get tricked by difficult CR questions - but you can and will get better!

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 89
Schools: ISB '17 (A), IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 01:14
whats the issue with B here. If other people also feel the same as author does, it should strengthen the authors argument.
_________________

Sometimes standing still can be, the best move you ever make......

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 09:37
3
aadikamagic wrote:
whats the issue with B here. If other people also feel the same as author does, it should strengthen the authors argument.


We need to "most strengthen the reviewers conclusion", which is "I can only conclude that the reintroduction was simply empty advertising language". To strengthen the conclusion we need to ensure there is a strong connection between the premises and the conclusion.

P: L's sales are down due to poor quality
P: L launched a marketing campaign re: organic & flavorful sauces - emphasizing quality
P: Pizza tasted like V's pizza
C: Therefore reintroduction is empty advertising

There is a significant logical gap (filled with assumptions) between pizza tasting like Valvano's and the reintroduction being empty advertising. Why does tasting like Valvano's pizza mean the advertising was false? What's up with Valvano's pizza? So many unanswered questions...

If we want to really strengthen the argument, we need some additional information to bridge that logical gap. Strengthening an existing premise does not fill that logical gap. Remember that on strengthening questions you are really making a key assumption a stated premise...

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Posts: 3
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 06:00
KyleWiddison wrote:
aadikamagic wrote:
whats the issue with B here. If other people also feel the same as author does, it should strengthen the authors argument.


We need to "most strengthen the reviewers conclusion", which is "I can only conclude that the reintroduction was simply empty advertising language". To strengthen the conclusion we need to ensure there is a strong connection between the premises and the conclusion.

P: L's sales are down due to poor quality
P: L launched a marketing campaign re: organic & flavorful sauces - emphasizing quality
P: Pizza tasted like V's pizza
C: Therefore reintroduction is empty advertising

There is a significant logical gap (filled with assumptions) between pizza tasting like Valvano's and the reintroduction being empty advertising. Why does tasting like Valvano's pizza mean the advertising was false? What's up with Valvano's pizza? So many unanswered questions...

If we want to really strengthen the argument, we need some additional information to bridge that logical gap. Strengthening an existing premise does not fill that logical gap. Remember that on strengthening questions you are really making a key assumption a stated premise...

KW


I have a query regarding why C is the correct answer. Now, I see that the ad campaign stated the evidence of emphasis on quality pizza and that doesn't mean that it would be the highest quality pizza so even if valvano's pizza is not among the highest quality pizza it doesn't mean that it's not a quality pizza. So, if valvano's pizza can be a quality pizza then lanzilloti can also be so this option in a way weakens the argument. Furthermore, in option A I see that organic ingredients is not in Valvano’s and since organic ingredients is an evidence of quality pizza this means that Valvano's is not a quality pizza and therefore lanzilloti is also not a quality pizza. Therefore, I think option A should be the correct answer. Can anyone explain.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 273
Location: India
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 01:28
Conclusion-
The LP did not improve the quality of pizza , though it claimed so in ads. In choice- A… We are just getting to know that VP does not add organic ingredients to its pizzas. Having organic ingredients is one way of having a better quality, but there could be several other ways of having a better quality pizza, even when we do not have organic ingredients in it. Just because LP taste was found be comparable to that of VP pizza, we can't support the author's point that quality of LP pizza did not improve. what if , even without organic ingredients, VP produces high quality pizzas. .... CORRECT ANSWER CHOICE IS C because if we see reverse of it then it weakens the conclusion. and we have to strengthen the conclusion, we are definitely doing so if it is proved that quality of VP pizzas is not among the best. this is just a wording trap many may have got entrapped into in this question. most of the people would have picked it if it said something like this-- Valvano’s Pizza is considered among the worst-quality pizzas in town. if we observe the given answer choice is not ruling out this possibility, whereas the reverse of it would have done so. Hence C is correct answer choice. Remember- we are supporting not proving that the quality of pizzas of either LP or VP is not good.
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Status: London UK GMAT Consultant / Tutor
Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 48
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 07:59
1
Respectfully, I disagree with the answer to this question. I'm not going to justify another answer--I just think the question needs to be revised (I know what source it comes from but I won't name names).

Put simply, this is a non-Official question where a lack of editing makes identification of the answer more or less just a guess!

I've made a video explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV7SwBP1S0I

In short, however, apply this:

a) IF we can assume that organic = better, this is viable -- ??

b) We're only concerned with the objective quality of the pizza; in any case it does nothing more than give us L = V, which is established in the argument NO

c) V is "not the best," implying that L = "not the best." DOES NOT, however, indicate lack of improvement (e.g., improvement from POOR to ACCEPTABLE) -- ??

d) Popularity of the pizza is irrelevant to quality -- out of scope. NO

e) Appetizers and desserts are not pizza -- out of scope. NO


So is the answer C or A? Depends on whether we choose to assume a) organic = better or c) that "not the best" is "not improved."

Neither one is a particularly good assumption to make. Flip a coin!

HOWEVER, if we could limit the logic in C to somehow imply NO IMPROVEMENT, e.g., "Valvano's is considered to be among the worst..." then it would be more correct. In short, the author tried to get clever with the double negation "not among the best" and tripped him/herself.

The moral of the story is to use Official questions for Verbal or risk confusion like this.
_________________

Is Your GMAT Score Stuck in the 600s? This FREE 8-Video, 20-Page Guide Can Help.

http://yourgmatcoach.com/gmat-score-stuck-plateau-600/

PS have you seen the new GMAT Work and Rates guide? Comes with a free 8-video course.

https://yourgmatcoach.podia.com/courses/how-to-beat-gmat-work-and-rates-problems

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51227
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 02:48
akhil911 wrote:
Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a reputation of poor quality, Lanzillotti’s Pizzeria launched a city-wide marketing campaign reintroducing its pizza as being made with organic ingredients and flavorful sauces, evidence of a new emphasis on quality pizza. But after visiting Lanzillotti’s last night I can only conclude that the reintroduction was simply empty advertising language, as my pizza tasted no better than the pizza I had eaten at Valvano’s earlier in the week.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the reviewer’s conclusion?

A. Valvano’s Pizza is not known for using organic ingredients in its pizzas.
B. Other diners on the same evening also reported that Lanzillotti’s pizza was no better than Valvano’s.
C. Valvano’s Pizza is not considered among the highest-quality pizzas in town.
D. The reviewer ordered the most popular pizza that Lanzillotti’s offers.
E. Lanzillotti’s appetizers and desserts were not made with organic ingredients.

Kudos me if you like the post !!!!


VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:



C. The gap in logic in the author’s argument is that he uses the premise “Lanzillotti’s pizza is no better than Valvano’s pizza” as evidence that Lanzillotti’s pizza has not raised its quality. But this is a generalization – if Valvano’s is the best pizza in town, then Lanzillotti’s has made huge strides to get to that level. Accordingly, answer choice C is correct, as it removes the flaw in that argument. If Valvano’s is not the highest-quality pizza, then being on the same level as Valvano’s is not necessarily indicative of high quality in itself.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1561
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 19:17
So for me it came down to A and C. Lets look at conclusion. "the reintroduction was simply empty advertising language". simply pizza was not good. so here question is not about organic vs non-organic. it is really about the quality. it can be the dough or the sauce or may be the time they keep pizza in side oven. Overall quality is not as good as other pizzeria. C should be best answer on the grounds of quality that we want to prove.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a &nbs [#permalink] 14 Aug 2018, 19:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Restaurant reviewer: In response to lagging sales based on a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.