GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Same Total Score from 1st to 2nd GMAT Sitting. What do?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 700 Q43 V42
Same Total Score from 1st to 2nd GMAT Sitting. What do?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 22:14
Hi GMAT Club, first time poster here...

I just sat for my 2nd GMAT exam earlier today (well, yesterday, now on the U.S. East coast). I've been preparing since mid-December 2018, only using TTP, since throughout my whole life standardized test Quant has been my weakness relative to Verbal (for reference, on the SAT back in the day - M: 620, R: 780, W: 770) even though I enjoyed math classes while growing up (especially calculus). Details below:

Exam Date Q V IR AWA Total
08/29/19 43 40 6 4.5 680
09/21/19 47 37 7 ??? 680

Today (er, yesterday) I did better on Quant than I’ve ever done on any practice test. Nice uptick on IR. But Verbal is disappointing, given that has been all that I’ve studied since my first GMAT sitting. In fact, if I had to diagnose what went wrong, I ran out of time and had to guess on the last batch of questions for Verbal. I attribute this timing issue to some new strategies I learned for the critical reasoning and sentence correction problem types, namely SWIM and IMPACTS from Veritas Prep through some PDFs that a friend shared with me. I have no doubt that these techniques substantially improved my accuracy for those questions that I was able to answer... but at the expense of a slight time crunch which nailed me at the end of the section. Dare I say, had I had a few more minutes and been able to use these same techniques, this might be a very different post. I should also mention that I've never scored below 40 on Verbal in a practice test :(

As of right now, I’m resolved to sit for the GMAT a third and final time, regardless of what score I can achieve at that point. Plan being to maintain everything and just improve verbal pacing. I plan to take my remaining three official GMAT practice tests between now and then, thus finishing the practice test phase as part of TTP (aiming for 2-2.5 weeks from now). Does all this sound sensible?

I also had a question for the broader forum on how business school AdComs view individual Q, V, IR, and AWA sub-scores: they don’t super score, as was the case at the undergrad level with the SAT, is that correct? My fear is that even if I can improve my verbal score to the 44-47 ballpark, as I have scored on practice tests, that I don’t simultaneously do as well on Quant as I just did yesterday. If helpful, not sure if my target schools HBS, Stanford GSB, Wharton, Columbia, and Booth look at this sub-score question differently from one another. I'm aiming to land somewhere in the 710-740 range and feel that I would have a competitive shot if I can do so, given the rest of my profile, career trajectory, etc.

I know that Verbal should in theory be my strong section, so while the improvement on Quant is welcome and 100% attributable to TTP, my performance on Verbal is puzzling. In spite of all this, I feel pumped and ready to get back at it. Third time's the charm!

And for those who are curious, I took my first ever GMAT practice test, GMAT Official Practice Exam #1, last year cold turkey and got the following:
Exam Date Q V IR AWA Total
09/14/18 29 40 4 ??? 570

Any words of advice?

-NYCShark
Intern
Intern
Re: Same Total Score from 1st to 2nd GMAT Sitting. What do?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 23:56
For context, I should also add that this week was not ideal with work blowing up: a quick client trip to the Southeast US from NYC, another work day trip to deep NJ, and multiple nights working till 1-2am at the office while in NYC. It only looks to get busier in Q4, which is why... I really want to move forward with my applications and start writing essays and everything for R2, but I have to work linearly and won’t be able to give it my all there until I land in my desired GMAT score range.

I forgot to mention other bits of my profile:
- Hispanic male, 4 years of work experience if matriculating in Fall 2020
- Multiple citizenships from underrepresented countries
- Ivy League undergrad, 3.5
- Upward finance/consulting trajectory with global work experience
- Strong recommenders (current and former managers) in place

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2019, 07:28
Was Verbal really difficult.
I know that there are some experimental questions and they do not count. You might have missed in actual
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 02:33
Did you get the ESR from each sitting of the GMAT? Targeted study seems lacking
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 17:56
Hi NYCShark.

First off, I’m pumped to see that you were able to increase your quant score - nice work!

Regarding your plan, maybe give yourself three full weeks to complete the practice test phase of TTP.

Regarding your GMAT scores, yes, you are correct that admissions will not super score. While they do see the individual breakdowns, they essentially count your highest GMAT score.

Lastly, regarding verbal, what were the verbal scores on your three official practice tests? Also, are you looking for some general advice on how to improve your verbal skills?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 22:41
Hi all,

As an update, I took the GMAT a 3rd time yesterday and finally broke out of the 680 zone.

Exam Date Q V IR Total
08/29/19 43 40 6 680
09/21/19 47 37 7 680
10/19/19 43 42 7 700

I’m glad the first digit of my score is a 7! I was finally able to get over my plateau on V, and maintain IR level, but I’m disappointed I dropped so much on Q (silver lining: at least no worse than my worst previous Q score).

I know I said I wouldn’t, but is it worth re-taking? At this point I’ve exhausted the TTP course and my subscription will soon run out, and I’ve also burned through all six official GMAT practice exams. Once again, this week wasn’t ideal leading up to the test for many reasons (sick, multiple late nights at work, etc.) but I have a long vacation abroad coming up, during which time I’ll partly be working on my essays and applications, but have the opportunity to re-take without the stress of work looming over me. Should I?

Many thanks for any advice!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 20:34
Hi NYCShark,

First off, this 700 is an outstanding overall Score - and it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. The 'catch' is the Q43; that Quant Scaled Score will not 'impress' anyone - and it might be seen as a bit of a 'red flag' at certain Programs. As odd as it may sound, you might actually be better off submitting your 680/Q47 with your applications. That's ultimately an Admissions question though - and since you're interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

If you do choose to retest, then we have to examine how you were studying for the Quant section before. Once you've decided on whether to retest or not, you should post back here (or you can PM me directly) and we can talk through your study options going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 19:58
Hi NYCShark,

It was great chatting today. As we discussed, given how well you’ve been able to perform on practice tests, and the fact that you scored Q47 on your 9/21 GMAT, I think that with some further, smart prep, you’ll be able to put it all together on test day.

If you need anything further, I’m just a call or text away. Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 19:05
Congrats for reaching 700 milestone. Just focus on your mba application, strengthen your portfolio and good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Same Total Score from 1st to 2nd GMAT Sitting. What do?   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2019, 19:05

Same Total Score from 1st to 2nd GMAT Sitting. What do?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics