Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [38]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [10]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Send PM
Re: Science a social embedded activity [#permalink]
Ans- D but took 2.51 mins to solve :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Oh Man!!! How do i develop the IQ to even understand such questions. I have a fair bit of understanding of the English language (to support that claim, I would like to quote that I scored a 6.0 in my AWA ). I am unable to understand the level of thinking that questions such as these demand. Let alone answer, I could not even entirely make out what the passage meant to say. Help me out somebody please. I have scored a miserly 570 with V 22.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Dear you have provided excellent approach but it again took took me 4 minutes to solve by breaking and understanding what is the intent of each line
:cry:
But again thanks, I lack something somewhere that i need to improve ........ Oh Lord Help me !!

ramannanda9 wrote:
mohnish104 wrote:
Oh Man!!! How do i develop the IQ to even understand such questions. I have a fair bit of understanding of the English language (to support that claim, I would like to quote that I scored a 6.0 in my AWA ). I am unable to understand the level of thinking that questions such as these demand. Let alone answer, I could not even entirely make out what the passage meant to say. Help me out somebody please. I have scored a miserly 570 with V 22.

Questions like these are actually difficult. Once you spot such type of questions try to break down the argument into small pieces and then link them. You simply cannot read these type of questions without pausing and making sense of what's being said.

Science, because people engage in it, is a socially embedded activity -- Science is a activity that involves social engagement
It progresses by hunch, vision, and intuition -- pretty much clear
Much of its change through time does not record a closer approach to absolute truth, but the alternation of the cultural contexts that influence it so strongly. -- It is influenced more by cultural contexts than absolute truth.
Facts are not pure and unsullied bits of information— culture influences what we see and how we see it. -- facts are also influenced by culture influences
Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts. --Theories are not derived directly from facts
The most creative theories are often imaginative visions imposed upon facts; the source of imagination is also strongly cultural.-- As most creative theories involve imagination and source of imagination is also cultural, so culture influences creative theories also.

If you had broken the sentence down, you would pretty much get the crux of the argument about how culture influences everything and you would have been able to pick the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps.

--
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The option D states about how cultural traits affects scientific notion hence this one is the answer. hope this one helps.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
We are given that Science works more on intuition/imagination than on closer approach to absolute truth. Then it says it is strongly influenced by culture. Everything is imaginative based on current facts.

The author implies that those who rely on scientific results should

a) realize that science relies on imagination to approach absolute truth : No we are said it is not even closer to absolute truth
b) insist on pure and unsullied facts rather than on theories : No such comparison is made.
c) understand that theories are frequently strict inductions from facts : Trap. Hold On.
d) consider the cultural biases of scientists : yeah, we got it. Correct. Now we can reject C as well.
e) reject the imaginative visions imposed on facts : No. It is exact opposite.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 611
Send PM
D

Facts are not pure and unsullied bits of information— culture influences what we see and how we see it. Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.31
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
D is correct, it seems to capture what is central to the argument. i.e scientific results are influenced by cultural contexts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
it was one amongst the easiest of the questions that has been pin down under 1 min 30 sec cut to chase the chase the author is discussing about the scientists how their imposing theories on the facts through the influence of culture others being out of context and the only option discussing the same is C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
Kudos
this means more or less something like this :
science is not just facts and theories, it's also influenced by hunches, visions, ideas (that may seem crazy) and imagination. and most of these aspects changes with changes in culture.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts