It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 03:26

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Science a social embedded activity

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 2

Science a social embedded activity [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 22:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:52) correct 36% (01:56) wrong based on 590 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Science, because people engage in it, is a socially embedded activity. It progresses by hunch, vision, and intuition. Much of its change through time does not record a closer approach to absolute truth, but the alternation of the cultural contexts that influence it so strongly. Facts are not pure and unsullied bits of information— culture influences what we see and how we see it. Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts. The most creative theories are often imaginative visions imposed upon facts; the source of imagination is also strongly cultural.

The author implies that those who rely on scientific results should

a) realize that science relies on imagination to approach absolute truth
b) insist on pure and unsullied facts rather than on theories
c) understand that theories are frequently strict inductions from facts
d) consider the cultural biases of scientists
e) reject the imaginative visions imposed on facts
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 34

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Science a social embedded activity [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 01:51
D
a) realize that science relies on imagination to approach absolute truth: No it does not rely on imagination because imagination itself is influenced by cultural contexts
b) insist on pure and unsullied facts rather than on theories: Nowhere is this mentioned that scientists should insist on facts
c) understand that theories are frequently strict inductions from facts: The opposite is mentioned here
"Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts"

d) consider the cultural biases of scientists: Correct, this seems to capture what is central to the argument that scientific results are influenced by cultural contexts.

e) reject the imaginative visions imposed on facts: Not mentioned

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2013, 18:37
Ans- D but took 2.51 mins to solve :(

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 291

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 23:40
Oh Man!!! How do i develop the IQ to even understand such questions. I have a fair bit of understanding of the English language (to support that claim, I would like to quote that I scored a 6.0 in my AWA ). I am unable to understand the level of thinking that questions such as these demand. Let alone answer, I could not even entirely make out what the passage meant to say. Help me out somebody please. I have scored a miserly 570 with V 22.

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 291

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [4], given: 34

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
Oh Man!!! How do i develop the IQ to even understand such questions. I have a fair bit of understanding of the English language (to support that claim, I would like to quote that I scored a 6.0 in my AWA ). I am unable to understand the level of thinking that questions such as these demand. Let alone answer, I could not even entirely make out what the passage meant to say. Help me out somebody please. I have scored a miserly 570 with V 22.

Questions like these are actually difficult. Once you spot such type of questions try to break down the argument into small pieces and then link them. You simply cannot read these type of questions without pausing and making sense of what's being said.

Science, because people engage in it, is a socially embedded activity -- Science is a activity that involves social engagement
It progresses by hunch, vision, and intuition -- pretty much clear
Much of its change through time does not record a closer approach to absolute truth, but the alternation of the cultural contexts that influence it so strongly. -- It is influenced more by cultural contexts than absolute truth.
Facts are not pure and unsullied bits of information— culture influences what we see and how we see it. -- facts are also influenced by culture influences
Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts. --Theories are not derived directly from facts
The most creative theories are often imaginative visions imposed upon facts; the source of imagination is also strongly cultural.-- As most creative theories involve imagination and source of imagination is also cultural, so culture influences creative theories also.

If you had broken the sentence down, you would pretty much get the crux of the argument about how culture influences everything and you would have been able to pick the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps.

--

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Kudos [?]: 101 [4], given: 34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 90

GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 09:03
Dear you have provided excellent approach but it again took took me 4 minutes to solve by breaking and understanding what is the intent of each line
:cry:
But again thanks, I lack something somewhere that i need to improve ........ Oh Lord Help me !!

ramannanda9 wrote:
mohnish104 wrote:

Questions like these are actually difficult. Once you spot such type of questions try to break down the argument into small pieces and then link them. You simply cannot read these type of questions without pausing and making sense of what's being said.

Science, because people engage in it, is a socially embedded activity -- Science is a activity that involves social engagement
It progresses by hunch, vision, and intuition -- pretty much clear
Much of its change through time does not record a closer approach to absolute truth, but the alternation of the cultural contexts that influence it so strongly. -- It is influenced more by cultural contexts than absolute truth.
Facts are not pure and unsullied bits of information— culture influences what we see and how we see it. -- facts are also influenced by culture influences
Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts. --Theories are not derived directly from facts
The most creative theories are often imaginative visions imposed upon facts; the source of imagination is also strongly cultural.-- As most creative theories involve imagination and source of imagination is also cultural, so culture influences creative theories also.

If you had broken the sentence down, you would pretty much get the crux of the argument about how culture influences everything and you would have been able to pick the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps.

--

"Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached"

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 90

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 20:49
The option D states about how cultural traits affects scientific notion hence this one is the answer. hope this one helps.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 23:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 966 [0], given: 69

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 09:50
We are given that Science works more on intuition/imagination than on closer approach to absolute truth. Then it says it is strongly influenced by culture. Everything is imaginative based on current facts.

The author implies that those who rely on scientific results should

a) realize that science relies on imagination to approach absolute truth : No we are said it is not even closer to absolute truth
b) insist on pure and unsullied facts rather than on theories : No such comparison is made.
c) understand that theories are frequently strict inductions from facts : Trap. Hold On.
d) consider the cultural biases of scientists : yeah, we got it. Correct. Now we can reject C as well.
e) reject the imaginative visions imposed on facts : No. It is exact opposite.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 966 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 594

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 01:08
D

Facts are not pure and unsullied bits of information— culture influences what we see and how we see it. Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts.

Click Kudos if this helps!
Nash

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 594

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 09:46
D is correct, it seems to capture what is central to the argument. i.e scientific results are influenced by cultural contexts.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Re: Science a social embedded activity   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 09:46

Science a social embedded activity

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap