GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Science writer: All scientists have beliefs and values that might

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
D
Science writer: All scientists have beliefs and values that might  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 21:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:56) correct 53% (02:05) wrong based on 185 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Science writer: All scientists have beliefs and values that might slant their interpretations of the data from which they draw their conclusions. However, serious scientific papers are carefully reviewed by many other scientists before publication. These reviewers are likely to notice and object to biases that they do not share. Thus, any slanted interpretations of scientific data will generally have been removed before publication.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the science writer’s argument?

(A) The scientists reviewing serious scientific papers for publication do not always have biases likely to slant their interpretations of the data in those papers.

(B) In general, biases that slant interpretations of data in serious scientific papers being reviewed for publication are not shared among all scientists.

(C) Biases that are present in published scientific papers and shared by most scientists, including those who review the papers, are unlikely to impair the scientific value of those papers.

(D) The interpretation of data is the only part of a serious scientific paper that is sometimes slanted by the beliefs and values of scientists.

(E) Slanted interpretations of data in a scientific paper can be removed only through careful review by scientists who do not share the biases of the author or authors of the paper.

Source: LSAT
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Premium Member
Re: Science writer: All scientists have beliefs and values that might  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 23:28
B. If the reviewers share same bias then that bias will not be eliminated after review. So the assumption must be the reviewers don't share same bias
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Science writer: All scientists have beliefs and values that might  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 06:24
In the premise it is mentioned that 'These reviewers are likely to notice and object to biases that they don't share'. So how is B a valid assumption here. It is already mentioned that they don't share any biases. Here Wont E make a better assumption.
Please explain .
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 08:01
Hi,
Can anyone tell me as to Why E is wrong?

The information given in B is already stated in the passage.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 10:56
ganand wrote:
Science writer: All scientists have beliefs and values that might slant their interpretations of the data from which they draw their conclusions. However, serious scientific papers are carefully reviewed by many other scientists before publication. These reviewers are likely to notice and object to biases that they do not share. Thus, any slanted interpretations of scientific data will generally have been removed before publication.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the science writer’s argument?

(A) The scientists reviewing serious scientific papers for publication do not always have biases likely to slant their interpretations of the data in those papers.

(B) In general, biases that slant interpretations of data in serious scientific papers being reviewed for publication are not shared among all scientists.

(C) Biases that are present in published scientific papers and shared by most scientists, including those who review the papers, are unlikely to impair the scientific value of those papers.

(D) The interpretation of data is the only part of a serious scientific paper that is sometimes slanted by the beliefs and values of scientists.

(E) Slanted interpretations of data in a scientific paper can be removed only through careful review by scientists who do not share the biases of the author or authors of the paper.

Source: LSAT

Assumption Question: The answer must be true

Conclusion: Thus, any slanted interpretations of scientific data will generally have been removed before publication.

Question stem says :Reviewers are likely to notice and object to biases that they do not share.
The argument relies on the fact that the biases brought by the scientist who published the paper will be filtered by at least one of the scientists reviewing the paper. Now what if some bias which will slant the interpretation is shared among all the scientists?
In that case the author's argument will fail.
Hence this assumption is needed and must be true.

Please correct me if wrong!

Kudos for a correct solution :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 13:08
coolnuts,
Quote:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me as to Why E is wrong?

The information given in B is already stated in the passage.

First, let's examine choice E:
Quote:

The passage suggests that slanted interpretations can be removed through careful review by scientists who do not share the biases of the author or authors of the paper, but the passage does NOT suggest that this is the ONLY way to remove slanted interpretations. Whether there are other methods for removing slanted interpretations (eg review by an editor who is not a scientist) does not have any impact on the author's argument, so choice E can be eliminated.

The author states that the "reviewers are likely to notice and object to biases that they do not share"... but what if the biases of the reviewers are the same as those of the writer? Because the reviewers are only likely to notice and object to biases that they do not share, this suggests that they are not likely to notice and object to biases that they DO share. Any slanted interpretations shared by the reviewers will not be removed before publication, so choice B is the best answer.

www.gmatninja.com

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 04:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Science writer: All scientists have beliefs and values that might &nbs [#permalink] 19 Sep 2018, 04:56

Science writer: All scientists have beliefs and values that might

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap