GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scientists typically do their most creative work before the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Scientists typically do their most creative work before the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 08:51
myheartzz wrote:
D is a very tricky option.Two explanations and verbal must be good!

Posted from my mobile device

Why do scientists produce fewer creative works after they cross forty?
There are two opposing explanations:
explanation 1: loss of creative capacity
explanation 2: they have spent a long time in the field (and hence they do not have anything new to contribute).

BF2 is the explanation 2 above, and BF1 is a statement supporting explanation 2.

Hence option E is correct.

The fastest way to eliminate D is:
BF1 and BF2 are on the same side of the argument. Option D states that BF1 and BF2 are on the opposing side. Hence D is wrong. This same side/ opposing side consideration is one of the fastest ways to eliminate options in BF questions.
Director
Director
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 16:55
E is the correcty answer since the first bold face descibes the claim and the secnd bold face is the conclusion which the first bold face was supporting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 06:33
C,D the argument never challenges the alternate explanation
E - correct, the alternate explanation is based on the findings presented in first BF statement and is favored by the author
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V28
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 10:09
I am confused between C & E. Can anyone explain why E is the right answer??
My thought process was like this -->
1st Bold Face ??? Evidence against argument (in the first line)
2nd Bold Face ??? Explanation of the 1st one (why it is so...?)
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 04:10
merajul wrote:
I am confused between C & E. Can anyone explain why E is the right answer??
My thought process was like this -->
1st Bold Face ??? Evidence against argument (in the first line)
2nd Bold Face ??? Explanation of the 1st one (why it is so...?)

IMHO, there is problem with your thinking process:
First, let's analyze the argument: There are 2 explanation for a situation, the 1st explanation is challenged and the 2nd one is favored by author. Evidence is given.
1st Bold Face ??? Evidence against 1st explanation (not against argument). The word "however" indicates this. In another word, the 1st BF is evidence supporting the 2nd explanation.
2nd Bold Face ??? The 2nd explanation (not the 1st one).

That's why (E) is correct.

I think your wrong identification of functions of 2BF leads to wrong choice.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 04:28
The BF1 and BF2 are both on the 'same side' whereas the options stated in answer choice D are on 'opposing sides'.

E should be the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 06:48
I went through all the posts on this questions, but did not find valuable explanation why E is the correct answer.
For me it should be D.

Agrument favors: commonly thought that age brings loss of creativity. So lower creativity beyong 40
Argument against: Most highly creative scientists beyond 40 entered their field older than usual (Age does not affect creativity)--------BF1
Agrument favors: High creativity beyond 40 is due to the time spent on the field (Not because of age)------------------------------------BF2

Answer is D.

What was previously considered impossible is now obvious reality.
In the past, people used to open doors with their hands. Today, doors open "by magic" when people approach them

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 21:58
guialain wrote:
I went through all the posts on this questions, but did not find valuable explanation why E is the correct answer.
For me it should be D.

Agrument favors: commonly thought that age brings loss of creativity. So lower creativity beyong 40
Argument against: Most highly creative scientists beyond 40 entered their field older than usual (Age does not affect creativity)--------BF1
Agrument favors: High creativity beyond 40 is due to the time spent on the field (Not because of age)------------------------------------BF2

Answer is D.

Argument favors: commonly thought that age brings loss of creativity. So lower creativity beyond 40.
The argument also favors the idea that some scientists made discoveries beyond the age of 40 doesn't mean age doesn't affect creativity. It is just because they have worked in the field more. Age is still a factor.
BF1: scientists who produce highly creative work beyond the age of forty, a disproportionately large number entered their field at an older age than is usual. This supports the explanation that argument favors.
BF2: This is that explanation.

Thus E.
Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 06:59
I chose C, but I got confused on what they refer to as the "argument"

Is the argument the main conclusion or is it everything after the counterpoint, which is the initial claim "It is commonly thought that this happens because aging by itself brings about a loss of creative capacity."?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 19:52
bpdulog wrote:
I chose C, but I got confused on what they refer to as the "argument"

Is the argument the main conclusion or is it everything after the counterpoint, which is the initial claim "It is commonly thought that this happens because aging by itself brings about a loss of creative capacity."?

The "argument" refers to the author's entire line of reasoning (i.e. the argument in general, not just a specific piece of the argument).

The conclusion is: "the studies’ finding strongly suggests that the real reason why scientists over forty rarely produce highly creative work is not that they have aged but rather that scientists over forty have generally spent too long in their field."

In other words, the conclusion says, "The finding strongly suggests that the real reason is not Explanation A but Explanation B." The second boldfaced portion is Explanation (B), which is the explanation that the author (and the author's argument) favors. The first boldfaced portion is evidence supporting Explanation B.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 01:48
abhi758 wrote:
Scientists typically do their most creative work before the age of forty. It is commonly thought that this happens because aging by itself brings about a loss of creative capacity. However, studies show that of scientists who produce highly creative work beyond the age of forty, a disproportionately large number entered their field at an older age than is usual. Since by the age of forty the large majority of scientists have been working in their field for at least fifteen years, the studies’ finding strongly suggests that the real reason why scientists over forty rarely produce highly creative work is not that they have aged but rather that scientists over forty have generally spent too long in their field.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a claim, the accuracy of which is at issue in the argument; the second is a conclusion drawn on the basis of that claim.

(B) The first is an objection that has been raised against a position defended in the argument; the second is that position.

(C) The first is evidence that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges; the second is that explanation.

(D) The first is evidence that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges; the second is a competing explanation that the argument favors.

(E) The first provides evidence to support an explanation that the argument favors; the second is that explanation.

Similar Question: Link1 Link2

In a general sense the first part is favorably presented by the author. Only E captures that gist for the first boldface.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Holistic Solutions
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 09:09
Can someone please explain how first provides evidence to support an explanation that the argument favors.?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 12:08
bpdulog wrote:
Can someone please explain how first provides evidence to support an explanation that the argument favors.?

Quote:
Scientists typically do their most creative work before the age of forty. It is commonly thought that this happens because aging by itself brings about a loss of creative capacity. However, studies show that of scientists who produce highly creative work beyond the age of forty, a disproportionately large number entered their field at an older age than is usual. Since by the age of forty the large majority of scientists have been working in their field for at least fifteen years, the studies’ finding strongly suggests that the real reason why scientists over forty rarely produce highly creative work is not that they have aged but rather that scientists over forty have generally spent too long in their field.

Let's start by identifying the author's conclusion:

• "the studies’ finding strongly suggests that the real reason why scientists over forty rarely produce highly creative work is not that they have aged but rather that scientists over forty have generally spent too long in their field."

Here's how the author reaches this conclusion:

• Scientists typically do their most creative work before the age of 40.
  • The majority of scientists who reach age 40 have been working in their field for at least 15 years (i.e., they entered their field at age 25 or younger).
  • There are atypical scientists who produce highly creative work after they've turned 40.
  • Studies show that a disproportionately large number of these atypical scientists entered their field at an older age than is usual. Unlike the majority of scientists, they have likely been working in their field for fewer than 15 years. This provides an alternate explanation for creative work in a given scientific field: being relatively new to that field.
  • Therefore, these studies suggest that the loss of creative capacity in scientists is caused by spending a long their in the same field, not simply by aging.

The author argues that the commonly held explanation ("aging by itself brings about a loss of creative capacity") is wrong.

• The first boldface statement is evidence (i.e. study results) that identifies an alternate cause of highly creative work: being relatively new to the field. As explained in this post, this alternate cause is the explanation that the argument favors.
  • The second boldface statement incorporates that evidence into an alternate explanation for the loss of creative capacity: spending too long in a given field. This explanation is part of the author's argument against the commonly held thought.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 08:17
As D says "The first is evidence that has been used to support an explanation that the argument challenges; the second is a competing explanation that the argument favors." Is it talking about the same explanation or different explanations? Because of the articles present I assumed they are different.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Intern
Intern
Scientists typically do their most creative work before the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 12:25
How does the argument favor BF-1 as this is not view of author? Isn't author neutral in this argument?
Scientists typically do their most creative work before the &nbs [#permalink] 19 Sep 2018, 12:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Scientists typically do their most creative work before the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap