GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Sep 2017
Posts: 4
CAT Tests
Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 10:39
5
2
Hello Community,

I recently gave my GMAT and scored 730 (V42, Q48). I had set my mind on not accepting anything below 760 so I cancelled it. Since material provided by users on this site has been of immense use to me for my prep, I think it's only fair if I share my journey so far and how I am planning to progress from now on. This debrief is lengthy, so if you are short on time and are interested in the tips, go the last section. Otherwise, let's go :-D

Introduction: I am 24 years old Indian working at a FT 100 as a Business Analyst. Last year, I decided to go for the MBA with the intentions to get into Tech with PM roles. After a quick search, I opted to go for the GMAT against the domestic CAT exam based on my career goals to gain international exposure and work experience.

GMAT Preparation: Once decided, I started collecting more information of the exam. I came to know that OG was the most reliable question bank so I purchased one. By that time I have already read that the Quant section in GMAT is fairly easy for an Indian so I decided to jump on the PS section of the OG and solved all of them without much difficulty. I was on cloud nine, thinking I can pull a 750+ without any coaching/guide and be on my way to an M7 lol. Then I went to Sentence Correction part and that was it. I got 1 correct out of 10 (or maybe more) questions which I attempted. I was bamboozled and decided to get external help in Verbal. I was pretty comfortable with Quant so didn't bother spending any dime for Quant resources or preparing any plan whatsoever (my biggest mistake). Since Verbal was my weakness I looked out for different courses (offline and online) and then finally settled for e-gmat's Verbal Live prep as working full time hardly game me any time on weekdays plus when you travel for 5 days a week you kinda want to stay at home on weekends. I bought this course in September 2018, studied for 2 weeks aggressively and then just left it out in dark. Procrastination hit me so hard that it wasn't until December 2018 that I started to study again seriously but thanks to my job I had to travel out of city for 2 weeks twice which again hampered my progress. Finally in the last week of January I started to hit the engines in full throttle, started studying for 2 hours everyday on weekdays and ~10 hours on weekends. At the same time I booked the GMAT for 24th April as I knew nothing would get be fired up as much as a real exam will do. I finished the Verbal course in March, and then shifted my focus on Quant and practice tests. For Quant I referred to the GMAT Club's Maths book as well as their Quant Mocks. I saved the GMAT Prep's official mocks for the last 2 weeks to get a real assessment of my preparation. In the first one I scored 750 (V41, Q50) and in second 770 (V42, Q51). These scores gave me confidence and I actually got less scared of the exam.

Exam Day: The day before exam I revised some formulas, did some IR questions and read the AWA template. Slept normally for ~7 hours. My exam was scheduled for the afternoon so I woke up early in the morning, had breakfast, revised some formulas, practiced some questions from OG to get in the groove and then went for the center. Gave the exam and got the score of 730.

Some Tips: These are by no means my tips, after reading hundreds of debrief they are a subset of a few that worked for me.

Quant: Practice, practice and practice. I didn't, neither did I make any plans to tackle to DS or difficult PS questions. I knew I was good in Quant therefore decided to left it for last and approached it unstructured. Please don't do this. Doesn't matter how good you were in a subject, your skills wane off if not being in touch for long which can hurt your efficiency in that subject. I could have easily scored Q50 had I stayed humble but hey that's life, what's important is you learn and don't commit those mistakes next time. So for Quant, practice tough questions, time yourself and use GMATClub's resources (there are many question pdfs) as much as you can.

Verbal: During my final stage, I became really comfortable with CR and SC. For CR I would just look for the conclusion and then connect it with the other statements in the passage by thinking their purpose. Once I got a grasp of it I was solving CR questions in ~1 minute with 90% efficiency (for OG and GMATPrep questions). For SC I thank the egmat for their extensive course on it. They over simplified it and made it so simple to learn. But whether or not you will take any course or not, just remember this - MEANING is everything. You don't even need to learn hundreds of Idioms (I learned like 15), just understand this basic concept, practice it, and you will get unreal efficiency. RC was my weakest, and I will be improving it the most in my next sitting but from what I understand the passages in actual exam were difficult than what I practiced in OG and GmatPrep Mocks so practice hard questions and read the passage with interest to get the maximum out of it from first time.

For both Quant and Verbal maintain an error log and go through it every 15 days or so to not repeat those mistakes again. Also for the questions that you get right look for the solutions as you will learn new concept (for Verbal) or a new method (for Quant) to solve that question.

IR: I scored 8 in IR while I practiced this section for 1 day. In exam there was 1 msr question that I guessed but otherwise I solved rest of the 11 questions and found them to be fairly easy.

AWA: I just read the template provided by someone on GMATClub and I learned it by heart. You can found it by searching AWA topic (It has like 2000+ kudos) so it will be a top post.

Some Exam Center Tip: Reach 40 minutes early, and request for earplugs straight away (they will inform you that you can request for one provided you didn't find headphones comfortable). I was not comfortable with the headphones but didn't ask as I thought it would be a waste of time.

Ah this is it, I will be sitting again in 2 months and this time will hopefully break the 750+ barrier. Thank you for reading and please feel free to ask me anything. Good Luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
D
Joined: 15 Jan 2018
Posts: 368
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 11:56
1
Congratulations on getting a 730 on the GMAT. You can always reinstate your score, should you choose to. There are a few good insights in your debrief.
All the best for the retake.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 21 Mar 2018
Posts: 453
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 12:59
1
Ronaldo7 wrote:
Hello Community,

I recently gave my GMAT and scored 730 (V42, Q48). I had set my mind on not accepting anything below 760 so I cancelled it. Since material provided by users on this site has been of immense use to me for my prep, I think it's only fair if I share my journey so far and how I am planning to progress from now on. This debrief is lengthy, so if you are short on time and are interested in the tips, go the last section. Otherwise, let's go :-D

Introduction: I am 24 years old Indian working at a FT 100 as a Business Analyst. Last year, I decided to go for the MBA with the intentions to get into Tech with PM roles. After a quick search, I opted to go for the GMAT against the domestic CAT exam based on my career goals to gain international exposure and work experience.

GMAT Preparation: Once decided, I started collecting more information of the exam. I came to know that OG was the most reliable question bank so I purchased one. By that time I have already read that the Quant section in GMAT is fairly easy for an Indian so I decided to jump on the PS section of the OG and solved all of them without much difficulty. I was on cloud nine, thinking I can pull a 750+ without any coaching/guide and be on my way to an M7 lol. Then I went to Sentence Correction part and that was it. I got 1 correct out of 10 (or maybe more) questions which I attempted. I was bamboozled and decided to get external help in Verbal. I was pretty comfortable with Quant so didn't bother spending any dime for Quant resources or preparing any plan whatsoever (my biggest mistake). Since Verbal was my weakness I looked out for different courses (offline and online) and then finally settled for e-gmat's Verbal Live prep as working full time hardly game me any time on weekdays plus when you travel for 5 days a week you kinda want to stay at home on weekends. I bought this course in September 2018, studied for 2 weeks aggressively and then just left it out in dark. Procrastination hit me so hard that it wasn't until December 2018 that I started to study again seriously but thanks to my job I had to travel out of city for 2 weeks twice which again hampered my progress. Finally in the last week of January I started to hit the engines in full throttle, started studying for 2 hours everyday on weekdays and ~10 hours on weekends. At the same time I booked the GMAT for 24th April as I knew nothing would get be fired up as much as a real exam will do. I finished the Verbal course in March, and then shifted my focus on Quant and practice tests. For Quant I referred to the GMAT Club's Maths book as well as their Quant Mocks. I saved the GMAT Prep's official mocks for the last 2 weeks to get a real assessment of my preparation. In the first one I scored 750 (V41, Q50) and in second 770 (V42, Q51). These scores gave me confidence and I actually got less scared of the exam.

Exam Day: The day before exam I revised some formulas, did some IR questions and read the AWA template. Slept normally for ~7 hours. My exam was scheduled for the afternoon so I woke up early in the morning, had breakfast, revised some formulas, practiced some questions from OG to get in the groove and then went for the center. Gave the exam and got the score of 730.

Some Tips: These are by no means my tips, after reading hundreds of debrief they are a subset of a few that worked for me.

Quant: Practice, practice and practice. I didn't, neither did I make any plans to tackle to DS or difficult PS questions. I knew I was good in Quant therefore decided to left it for last and approached it unstructured. Please don't do this. Doesn't matter how good you were in a subject, your skills wane off if not being in touch for long which can hurt your efficiency in that subject. I could have easily scored Q50 had I stayed humble but hey that's life, what's important is you learn and don't commit those mistakes next time. So for Quant, practice tough questions, time yourself and use GMATClub's resources (there are many question pdfs) as much as you can.

Verbal: During my final stage, I became really comfortable with CR and SC. For CR I would just look for the conclusion and then connect it with the other statements in the passage by thinking their purpose. Once I got a grasp of it I was solving CR questions in ~1 minute with 90% efficiency (for OG and GMATPrep questions). For SC I thank the egmat for their extensive course on it. They over simplified it and made it so simple to learn. But whether or not you will take any course or not, just remember this - MEANING is everything. You don't even need to learn hundreds of Idioms (I learned like 15), just understand this basic concept, practice it, and you will get unreal efficiency. RC was my weakest, and I will be improving it the most in my next sitting but from what I understand the passages in actual exam were difficult than what I practiced in OG and GmatPrep Mocks so practice hard questions and read the passage with interest to get the maximum out of it from first time.

For both Quant and Verbal maintain an error log and go through it every 15 days or so to not repeat those mistakes again. Also for the questions that you get right look for the solutions as you will learn new concept (for Verbal) or a new method (for Quant) to solve that question.

IR: I scored 8 in IR while I practiced this section for 1 day. In exam there was 1 msr question that I guessed but otherwise I solved rest of the 11 questions and found them to be fairly easy.

AWA: I just read the template provided by someone on GMATClub and I learned it by heart. You can found it by searching AWA topic (It has like 2000+ kudos) so it will be a top post.

Some Exam Center Tip: Reach 40 minutes early, and request for earplugs straight away (they will inform you that you can request for one provided you didn't find headphones comfortable). I was not comfortable with the headphones but didn't ask as I thought it would be a waste of time.

Ah this is it, I will be sitting again in 2 months and this time will hopefully break the 750+ barrier. Thank you for reading and please feel free to ask me anything. Good Luck!



Hello Ronaldo7


Nice debrief.


I respect your idea of necessity to score 760+, however if you already are not, you should be aware of few important facts.

Average GMAT score of admitted students at M7 is believe it or not, around 730. :idea:

Here it is the most important fact for you, people get admitted all the time with lower than that, since that is average.

Now I strongly believe that GMAT score higher than that WILL NOT get you admitted in the same way as your current score WILL NOT get you rejected. :idea:

What will you get you admitted or not, is your overall profile, once you satisfied GMAT threshold, which you just did. :idea:


I am only gonna provide you with example of Stanford and Booth :

Stanford GMAT range of accepted students is 610-790

Booth GMAT range of accepted students is 620-790




I believe this is enough for smart guy ;)



Good Luck :cool:
_________________
Your kudos are much appreciated
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Sep 2017
Posts: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 22:24
ju9999 wrote:
Good luck!! Tips are helpful, thank you :)

Posted from my mobile device


Thank you for your kind words and good luck to you too!! I am glad that you find the tips to be helpful :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Sep 2017
Posts: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 22:26
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
Congratulations on getting a 730 on the GMAT. You can always reinstate your score, should you choose to. There are a few good insights in your debrief.
All the best for the retake.


Thank you for you kind words. I understand that I can reinstate but I know my potential and if nothing works out there's always that option. I am glad you found the debrief to be helpful :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Sep 2017
Posts: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 02:22
1
billionaire wrote:



Nice debrief.


I respect your idea of necessity to score 760+, however if you already are not, you should be aware of few important facts.

Average GMAT score of admitted students at M7 is believe it or not, around 730. :idea:

Here it is the most important fact for you, people get admitted all the time with lower than that, since that is average.

Now I strongly believe that GMAT score higher than that WILL NOT get you admitted in the same way as your current score WILL NOT get you rejected. :idea:

What will you get you admitted or not, is your overall profile, once you satisfied GMAT threshold, which you just did. :idea:


I am only gonna provide you with example of Stanford and Booth :

Stanford GMAT range of accepted students is 610-790

Booth GMAT range of accepted students is 620-790




I believe this is enough for smart guy ;)



Good Luck :cool:


Hi billionaire,

Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback, much appreciated! I understand your perspective and have no doubt that you CV and essays matter a lot but I know my capabilities and that I belong to an over represented community therefore had to do everything in my power to stand out. The data of the mean scores of accepted candidates at top schools is interesting - but think about it, it's average - that means there will be students who got lower than it and then some who got more than it. With my resume and work ex in mind, I know in which category I should be in ;)
But still thank you and I will give it one last shot, if not I will go with whatever I have. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 447
Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 21:53
1
Ronaldo7 wrote:
I recently gave my GMAT and scored 730 (V42, Q48). I had set my mind on not accepting anything below 760 so I cancelled it.

Good luck with your retake, Ronado7. You're on a pretty strong footing already.

And being convinced about your potential to get a better score is a strong drive to keep you going.

Just make sure you are also looking into the non-GMAT aspects of the application in parallel i.e. business school research, student/alumni interactions, career goals introspection etc.

A ton of folks delay that part till the last minute, without realising how much time and effort these things can take up.

More power to you for the next attempt!
_________________
Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com
CR Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 578
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 08:39
Congratulations Ronaldo7 on 730

All the best for your retake.(You can always reinstate your score if you wish to)
_________________
Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
D
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Posts: 259
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 09:01
Your story is really inspiring..congratulations on crossing the 700 barrier..730 is an amazing score, and well to cancel it, requires courage..sometimes hardest choices requires strongest will power and this sure proves you have one. You have what it takes and i think you should never settle for anything less. 750! go for it. Wish you goodluck :)
_________________
Why do we fall?...So we can learn to pick ourselves up again



If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2784
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 18:44
Ronaldo7 wrote:
Thank you for you kind words. I understand that I can reinstate but I know my potential and if nothing works out there's always that option. I am glad you found the debrief to be helpful :)
That is such a good score! Anyway, you're absolutely right that a cancellation can't hurt you, as you can always reinstate your score.

All the best for the retake!
_________________
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1060
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 09:23
Ronaldo7 wrote:
Hello Community,

Verbal: During my final stage, I became really comfortable with CR and SC. For CR I would just look for the conclusion and then connect it with the other statements in the passage by thinking their purpose. Once I got a grasp of it I was solving CR questions in ~1 minute with 90% efficiency (for OG and GMATPrep questions).


Ronaldo7
Congrats for your nice score.
Could you explain the highlighted part a bit with the real example from official materials (designed by GMAC), please?
Thanks__
_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief   [#permalink] 25 May 2019, 09:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne