GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Starting to study to GMAT? Do not make the same mistakes I did!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Starting to study to GMAT? Do not make the same mistakes I did!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 06:44
Studied for 5 months (while working 10h a day) before doing the GMAT. Scored 500! That´s terrible result for the effort I gave!
What were my mistakes?

1- called former gmat students and asked how did they study. - Do that, but keep in mind that they are not experts in the matter (they told me they bought OGMAT book and did all the exercises. I did the book 3 times and still got terrible result

2- Studied not continuously. In GMAT, I found out that if you study 1h per day, than that´s a bad decision. It´s better to focus one month non-stopping in the Gmat than to do it while you work. You need to be fresh for the GMAT and work causes a lot of stress and consumes a lot of energy

3- stopped doing sports - You should always do 1h sport at least once every 3 days, so your body is strong physically. It will help with stress and endurance of the brain

4- Didn´t check the veritas blog free posts. Please take into account that Veritas gave me more in 2 weeks, than the OGmat on 5 months. (and I studied less time per day)

5- Didn´t train pace. This was the most stupid mistake I did. Since I am a perfectionist freak, I always try to get all the answers correct. Skip some if after 1m you do not see an easy way to solve or if you are doing a lot of calculations(YES every problem should have an easy way to solve). Use the tests available to train for that. you should never answer a question with less than 1 min. If you do 10 questions and can for each of them risk 2 options in under 1 min, you will already improve your probability of getting a correct answer by 13% (trust me it is a lot)
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Starting to study to GMAT? Do not make the same mistakes I did!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 09:52
Thanks for your nice suggestion. Could you specify which things of veritasprep help you?
Thanks__
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Starting to study to GMAT? Do not make the same mistakes I did!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 09:55
Sorry about the low score. Hope you will learn from the mistakes and prep strategically onwards.

filiperibsantos wrote:
If I were helpful in any way, please give a Kudo, since I need 20 to get free exams from GMAT Club and can´t afford it :)

Well, you can immediately get 7 days of FREE access to GMAT Club tests and quizzes if you subscribe to GMATClub's YouTube channel. :-) Here is the subscription link.. https://gmatclub.com/youtube_verify.php

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 11:50
Asad wrote:
Thanks for your nice suggestion. Could you specify which things of veritasprep help you?
Thanks__

The documents provided by Carcass or Bunuel. The documents that helped me the most were Veritas Prep Blog on Quant PDF:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/bunuel-s-sig ... 69373.html
You can also go to veritas prep blog
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/category/gmat/

I am now going to try Gmat tests and question bank for 7 days and will let you know how good it is.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 12:25
Narenn wrote:
Sorry about the low score. Hope you will learn from the mistakes and prep strategically onwards.

filiperibsantos wrote:
If I were helpful in any way, please give a Kudo, since I need 20 to get free exams from GMAT Club and can´t afford it :)

Well, you can immediately get 7 days of FREE access to GMAT Club tests and quizzes if you subscribe to GMATClub's YouTube channel. :-) Here is the subscription link.. https://gmatclub.com/youtube_verify.php

Thank you Nareen!

I couldn´t do it:

"O início de sessão com a Conta Google está temporariamente desativado para esta aplicação
Esta aplicação ainda não foi validada pela Google para utilizar o Início de sessão do Google."
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 15:46
Hi filiperibsantos,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. Before I can offer you any advice for this next phase of your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What type of study routine have you been following? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 20:22
I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. If you decide to retake and need any advice, feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 06:10
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. If you decide to retake and need any advice, feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Hello Scot! I saw your videos on youtube and they helped me a lot.

I scored 690 in the Gmat free Cat number 2. SO I guess I am ready to get a better mark than 600 at least (need 600, but would like to have 650)

By the way, your veritas tests helped also, but they´re far more difficult than the official GMat free Cats.

For data, I scored always around on the paid veritas CATS. 590 was my worst (3rd exam on the day, so not the best representation) and 650 was my overall best mark.

However I have never finished the quant section, leaving some unanswered questions there, so by randomly selecting the last questions and by replying 1 less, I guess I would have in each a score higher than 600

By the way, I totally recommend Veritas Prep mock tests, if you do not do the question bank before. If you use the question bank, than it´s probable that you will get higher socres in the CATS.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 06:11
filiperibsantos wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:

Hello Scot! I saw your videos on youtube and they helped me a lot.

I scored 690 in the Gmat free Cat number 2. SO I guess I am ready to get a better mark than 600 at least (need 600, but would like to have 650)

By the way, your veritas tests helped also, but they´re far more difficult than the official GMat free Cats.

For data, I scored always around on the paid veritas CATS. 590 was my worst (3rd exam on the day, so not the best representation) and 650 was my overall best mark.

However I have never finished the quant section, leaving some unanswered questions there, so by randomly selecting the last questions and by replying 1 less, I guess I would have in each a score higher than 600

By the way, I totally recommend Veritas Prep mock tests, if you do not do the question bank before. If you use the question bank, than it´s probable that you will get higher socres in the CATS.

Will try 2nd attempt tomorrow! Wish me luck ;)

I will publish my result once I do it.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 19:16
filiperibsantos wrote:

Will try 2nd attempt tomorrow! Wish me luck ;)

I will publish my result once I do it.

Good luck!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Starting to study to GMAT? Do not make the same mistakes I did!   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2020, 19:16

Starting to study to GMAT? Do not make the same mistakes I did!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep