GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 05:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

stuck in 590. what should I do to get 700+?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
stuck in 590. what should I do to get 700+?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 06:52
Hi. I'm a non -native speaker and I already gave 4 gmat tests.. (yea I know it's a lot.)
For the first test, I only briefly looked through OG 2018, the result was sadly 570. So I went through OG workbooks for one month, both of verbal and math, and then got frustrating 580 .
From then, I stopped studying for a while since I felt devastated. After one month study with GWD, I bought Kaplan CATs and all of GMAT CATs, scored 650~690. V33~38 and Q46~47.
I didn't think I was prepared perfectly. I just thought it was worth to give a try. But I scored the same as it was months ago... so I stopped study again for a month. And then started study again, gave a test. I scored 590. Q46 with V26. from then I stopped study again for about 3months.
Now Im studying again but I just can't belive my CAT score and my real GMAT score could make a huge difference ...
Also I just feel like Im not gonna get the score I want forever... I can study 5~7hrs a day for 30days from now on.
What should I do? I just started using error log. What else can I do? Please help me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Booth '22, ISB '21, IIMB
GPA: 3.87
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: stuck in 590. what should I do to get 700+?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 07:47
Hi Dododo ,

Did you go with self study ? or any course ?
Try Egmat its very good for verbal as ur quant looks ok .
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: CBS '21, Yale '21, INSEAD
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 08:16
Dodododo wrote:
Hi. I'm a non -native speaker and I already gave 4 gmat tests.. (yea I know it's a lot.)
For the first test, I only briefly looked through OG 2018, the result was sadly 570. So I went through OG workbooks for one month, both of verbal and math, and then got frustrating 580 .
From then, I stopped studying for a while since I felt devastated. After one month study with GWD, I bought Kaplan CATs and all of GMAT CATs, scored 650~690. V33~38 and Q46~47.
I didn't think I was prepared perfectly. I just thought it was worth to give a try. But I scored the same as it was months ago... so I stopped study again for a month. And then started study again, gave a test. I scored 590. Q46 with V26. from then I stopped study again for about 3months.
Now Im studying again but I just can't belive my CAT score and my real GMAT score could make a huge difference ...
Also I just feel like Im not gonna get the score I want forever... I can study 5~7hrs a day for 30days from now on.
What should I do? I just started using error log. What else can I do? Please help me.

Hi Buddy,

I would suggest studying the Manhattan GMAT books for conceptual learning. Try to cover the quant and Verbal books. I am sure you can improve from Q46 to Q49-50 and Verbal can definitely improve to 35.

Whenever you study a topic on MGMAT book, come back and practice OG questions on the GmatClub. Start with sub-600, then 600-700 and finally 700-level. When you feel you have touched 80% accuracy, you can move to the next topic. It's good to solve questions on GMAT club as you can see a lot of solutions shared by various members.

Try giving the GMAT official tests 1-6, one exam every weekend over the next 6 weeks, you will see a marked improvement each week if you are able to formulate a study plan based on the above strategy. Aim to finish all MGMAT books in 4 weeks and in the last 2 weeks solve only OG questions.

Keep us posted on your progress! All the best.
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
stuck in 590. what should I do to get 700+?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Apr 2019, 13:20
Dodododo wrote:

Hi Dodododo
It seems that your quant score is good enough; the problem is in your verbal part.
Just one suggestion:
Finish all the Free videos (RC, CR, SC) from Thursdays with Ron which is taught by Ron Purewal. I promise you that It'll definitely help you.

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests

Originally posted by Asad on 07 Apr 2019, 08:44.
Last edited by Asad on 07 Apr 2019, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 13:00
Hi Dodododo,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 4 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (580 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) On what dates did you take each of your GMATs and what were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your latest GMAT. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 18:46
1) On what dates did you take each of your GMATs and what were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each? -I took the tests at june 2018, july 2018, september 2018 and december 2018. I canceled 3 scores of them. But I remeber the scaled score was like Q44~46 and V 23~26.
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I want to apply round 1. But I want to finish my gmat in May.
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to? HEC PARIS.
Thanks advanced.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 21:43
Dodododo wrote:
I bought Kaplan CATs and all of GMAT CATs, scored 650~690. V33~38 and Q46~47.
Those are very good scores. Were there any questions on those tests that you were already familiar with?
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 22:13
AjiteshArun wrote:
Dodododo wrote:
I bought Kaplan CATs and all of GMAT CATs, scored 650~690. V33~38 and Q46~47.
Those are very good scores. Were there any questions on those tests that you were already familiar with?

Maybe a couple of questions for GMAT preps? Cos I took them before my september exam. So based on 3months study, I knew some. But for Kaplan preps,I don't think so...

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 07:49
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Dodododo,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 4 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (580 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) On what dates did you take each of your GMATs and what were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your latest GMAT. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

1) On what dates did you take each of your GMATs and what were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each? -I took the tests at june 2018, july 2018, september 2018 and december 2018. I canceled 3 scores of them. But I remeber the scaled score was like Q44~46 and V 23~26.
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I want to apply round 1. But I want to finish my gmat in May.
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to? HEC PARIS. 
Thanks advanced.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 11:21
Hi Dodododo,

There are a number of different issues to discuss:

First, raising a 580 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Considering that your 4 Official Scores are so similar, it's likely that you have developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). By extension, you might need even more study time to get to your Goal Score. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, the goal to make all of those improvements in about 30 days might be too difficult to be considered realistic.

Second, GMAC's testing rules 'limit' each Test Taker to no more than 5 attempts in any 12-month period. Given your 4 prior Test Dates, IF you were to take the GMAT in May and not earn a Score that makes you happy, then you will have hit your 5 attempt limit (and you would have to wait until you have passed the one-year anniversary of your first Score date - from last June - before you could retest again). Thus, "rushing in" to retest in May would impact your overall schedule (re: when you could retest again).

Third, based on the information that you've provided about your 4 Official Scores, you'll need to work on both your Quant and Verbal skills. Unfortunately, your plan to study 5-7 hours a day is likely far too much study (and it sounds as if you are confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study). By studying in that way, you will greatly increase your risk of "burn out" before Test Day (and that is something that we want to avoid).

At this point, you have to decide what is MORE important: taking the GMAT in May OR hitting your Goal Score? If you think that you "need" a GMAT Score in the high-600s or 700s, then you need to give yourself more time than you have allotted and commit to at least 2 months of consistent, guided study.

Rich

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 08:19
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Dodododo,

There are a number of different issues to discuss:

First, raising a 580 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Considering that your 4 Official Scores are so similar, it's likely that you have developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). By extension, you might need even more study time to get to your Goal Score. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, the goal to make all of those improvements in about 30 days might be too difficult to be considered realistic.

Second, GMAC's testing rules 'limit' each Test Taker to no more than 5 attempts in any 12-month period. Given your 4 prior Test Dates, IF you were to take the GMAT in May and not earn a Score that makes you happy, then you will have hit your 5 attempt limit (and you would have to wait until you have passed the one-year anniversary of your first Score date - from last June - before you could retest again). Thus, "rushing in" to retest in May would impact your overall schedule (re: when you could retest again).

Third, based on the information that you've provided about your 4 Official Scores, you'll need to work on both your Quant and Verbal skills. Unfortunately, your plan to study 5-7 hours a day is likely far too much study (and it sounds as if you are confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study). By studying in that way, you will greatly increase your risk of "burn out" before Test Day (and that is something that we want to avoid).

At this point, you have to decide what is MORE important: taking the GMAT in May OR hitting your Goal Score? If you think that you "need" a GMAT Score in the high-600s or 700s, then you need to give yourself more time than you have allotted and commit to at least 2 months of consistent, guided study.

Rich

Thank you so much. I didn't think about that I cant take over 5 exams in 12months!!. And moreover, my actual first exam was in june. And I didn't go test center..so does it count ? Does it mean I already had 5exams?

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 09:59
Hi Dodododo,

For an Exam to 'count' against your total, you have to begin the Official Exam in a Testing Facility. If you did NOT physically show up to take that Exam last June, then it should NOT count against your total (meaning that if you actually took the GMAT just 3 times in the last 12 months, then you could take the GMAT 2 additional times before you hit the one-year anniversary of your July Test Date).

Rich

GMAT Club Bot
Re: stuck in 590. what should I do to get 700+?   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2019, 09:59

stuck in 590. what should I do to get 700+?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k