GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     07:00 PM PST

     08:00 PM PST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Studies of fitness tests show that playing..

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Prep Mode
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 154
Location: India
Reviews Badge
Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 23:47
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:00) correct 59% (00:52) wrong based on 583 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Studies of fitness tests show that playing basketball has a markedly positive effect on children whose parents are not athletic, as compared to those who are athletic.

a) to those who are
b) with children who are
c) with
d) to those whose parents are
e) with children whose parents are
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1073
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2013, 00:12
7
2
Gian wrote:
I understood why E is the correct answer, clear and concise comparison. But I am not convinced why D is wrong, as "those" refers to children only. If we ignore the subtleties of compare to/compare with construction, then shouldn't D be correct as per the intended meaning.

Also is this a good GMAT like question? Please help.


This question is almost identical to this studies-of-test-scores-show-that-watching-television-has-a-72151.html?fl=similar that is from MGMAT .

Two things:

I)compare to == compare with: there is no difference at all.

II)Both D and E are fine, and this questions has been removed from the MGMAT CAT's pool. They say the same thing.

However let me just add a little rule of thumb (even if this is not directly applicable to this question): if an option replaces a pronoun with the noun it stands for ("those" with "children), go for this latter option (in the OG those are the cases on not acceptable pronoun ambiguity).

As I said this is not applicable directly to this question however because the only logical thing that "those" can stand for is "children".

Hope this helps
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Prep Mode
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 154
Location: India
Reviews Badge
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 23:51
I understood why E is the correct answer, clear and concise comparison. But I am not convinced why D is wrong, as "those" refers to children only. If we ignore the subtleties of compare to/compare with construction, then shouldn't D be correct as per the intended meaning.

Also is this a good GMAT like question? Please help.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Prep Mode
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 154
Location: India
Reviews Badge
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2013, 00:21
Thanks Zarrolou for clearing the confusion. I do agree with you that the more clear choice will be the winner among the five.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Persevering
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 173
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2013, 02:21
Also idiomatically, the usage of compared with implies act of actual comparison, whereas compared to is generally used to highlight some quality as in the sentence messi is being compared to god of football.
_________________

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Status: I am not giving up. Not yet.
Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Posts: 44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 03:07
1
The easiest of ways to choose the right one between D & E is to understand how and where we use "compared to" and "compared with".
"compare" can really mean compare or contrast. When we wish to show two like things as similar, we use "compare to." When we wish to show them as dissimilar, we use "compare with."
_________________

Cheers
PeeKay

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 08:09
peekaysan wrote:
The easiest of ways to choose the right one between D & E is to understand how and where we use "compared to" and "compared with".
"compare" can really mean compare or contrast. When we wish to show two like things as similar, we use "compare to." When we wish to show them as dissimilar, we use "compare with."



I think you told the opposite. 'Compared to' is used to highlight contrast whereas 'Compared with' is used for actual comparison. As in this case, comparison is in between children, similar things.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Status: I am not giving up. Not yet.
Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Posts: 44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 08:57
1
prabhjinder wrote:
peekaysan wrote:
The easiest of ways to choose the right one between D & E is to understand how and where we use "compared to" and "compared with".
"compare" can really mean compare or contrast. When we wish to show two like things as similar, we use "compare to." When we wish to show them as dissimilar, we use "compare with."



I think you told the opposite. 'Compared to' is used to highlight contrast whereas 'Compared with' is used for actual comparison. As in this case, comparison is in between children, similar things.


No. The confusion arises when you decide whether the items that we wish to compare are similar.

Compared to-show similarity between two things.
Eg. Om compared his wife to a bull. :wink:

Om is trying to draw similarity between the bull and his wife.

Compared with- when you want to contrast between two things.
Eg. Om compared his wife with his girlfriend.
Wife and GF- Om is making a comparison and contrasting between the two. Om wants to know who is better- the wife or the girlfriend :wink:


+1 Kudos if this helped.
_________________
_________________

Cheers
PeeKay

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4208
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 10:24
3
Gian wrote:
Studies of fitness tests show that playing basketball has a markedly positive effect on children whose parents are not athletic, as compared to those who are athletic.

a) to those who are
b) with children who are
c) with
d) to those whose parents are
e) with children whose parents are


Compare A with B is used to stress the difference between unlike items
Compare A to B is used to stress the similarities between like items

Hence, option (E) which stresses the difference in characteristics of athletic and non athletic parents...

_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 42
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 13:16
peekaysan wrote:
prabhjinder wrote:
peekaysan wrote:
The easiest of ways to choose the right one between D & E is to understand how and where we use "compared to" and "compared with".
"compare" can really mean compare or contrast. When we wish to show two like things as similar, we use "compare to." When we wish to show them as dissimilar, we use "compare with."



I think you told the opposite. 'Compared to' is used to highlight contrast whereas 'Compared with' is used for actual comparison. As in this case, comparison is in between children, similar things.


No. The confusion arises when you decide whether the items that we wish to compare are similar.

Compared to-show similarity between two things.
Eg. Om compared his wife to a bull. :wink:

Om is trying to draw similarity between the bull and his wife.

Compared with- when you want to contrast between two things.
Eg. Om compared his wife with his girlfriend.
Wife and GF- Om is making a comparison and contrasting between the two. Om wants to know who is better- the wife or the girlfriend :wink:


+1 Kudos if this helped.
_________________


Thanks for the examples.
I shall never forget the differences now :P + 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 356
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 04:05
Abhishek009 wrote:
Gian wrote:
Studies of fitness tests show that playing basketball has a markedly positive effect on children whose parents are not athletic, as compared to those who are athletic.

a) to those who are
b) with children who are
c) with
d) to those whose parents are
e) with children whose parents are


Compare A with B is used to stress the difference between unlike items
Compare A to B is used to stress the similarities between like items

Hence, option (E) which stresses the difference in characteristics of athletic and non athletic parents...


Hi ,

are there any OG examples to exemplify the same.
It would be great if you could give some examples.
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1674
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 02:40
this question is a part of an official question. In other words, this question just gives an illustration on how unambiguous concept in gmat test looks like. Test taker should know this.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Studies of fitness tests show that playing.. &nbs [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 02:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Studies of fitness tests show that playing..

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.