GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sudden drop in mock scores

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 23
Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2019, 00:53
Hello,
I started my preparation almost 2 months ago. When i started taking mock tests my scores were as follows:
Full length test 1 Jamboree- 640
Full length test 2 Jamboree- 680
Gmat Prep 1 - 690
Full length test 3 Jamboree- 700
Full length test 4 Jamboree- 610
Full length test 5 Jamboree- 620

Why is there a sudden drop in my scores? Its really freaking me out. Are the Jamboree tests difficult than the actual GMAT or my preparation is in the wrong direction?

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15489
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2019, 19:53
Hi Chinmay1998,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), but the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion). The one Official CAT that you took resulted in a 690, so if you took that CAT in a realistic fashion, then that result is likely the most accurate one of the CATs that you listed. That having been said, there are a variety of factors that can influence your performance on a CAT/mock, including the time of day that you take your Exams, whether you take the full Exam or not, the number of lucky guesses and/or silly mistakes you make, etc. - meaning that your current 'ability level' might be higher or lower than that Score suggests.

In a prior post, you stated that you were planning to take the Official GMAT around October 15th. Is that still your plan? If not, then when is your Official Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
V
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 8427
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2019, 12:23
1
Hi Chinmay1998,

I see that you scored 690 on an official GMATPrep exam. Why don’t you take another official practice test to see how you score? Once you take that exam, feel free to report back here with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice.
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 23
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2019, 19:43
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Chinmay1998,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), but the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion). The one Official CAT that you took resulted in a 690, so if you took that CAT in a realistic fashion, then that result is likely the most accurate one of the CATs that you listed. That having been said, there are a variety of factors that can influence your performance on a CAT/mock, including the time of day that you take your Exams, whether you take the full Exam or not, the number of lucky guesses and/or silly mistakes you make, etc. - meaning that your current 'ability level' might be higher or lower than that Score suggests.

In a prior post, you stated that you were planning to take the Official GMAT around October 15th. Is that still your plan? If not, then when is your Official Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Hello Sir,
I will take the G-prep2. I was initially thinking of 15th October as the date for my exam but now i think i should delay it a bit. I should practice more and get my accuracy up and then based on my mock scores decide when to take it. I am currently thinking to take it during the end of October.
Thanks alot for your guidance.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 23
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2019, 19:46
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Chinmay1998,

I see that you scored 690 on an official GMATPrep exam. Why don’t you take another official practice test to see how you score? Once you take that exam, feel free to report back here with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice.


Hello,
I think i should practice a few days, revise all the concepts that i have studied and then take the test 2. It shouldn't happen that i exhaust the test material without sufficient practice. I will definitely report back with the scores by the next week.
Thanks alot for your help.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15489
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2019, 13:03
1
Hi Chinmay1998,

When you take your next practice CAT, you should make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results and how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
V
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 8427
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 17:44
1
Chinmay1998 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Chinmay1998,

I see that you scored 690 on an official GMATPrep exam. Why don’t you take another official practice test to see how you score? Once you take that exam, feel free to report back here with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice.


Hello,
I think i should practice a few days, revise all the concepts that i have studied and then take the test 2. It shouldn't happen that i exhaust the test material without sufficient practice. I will definitely report back with the scores by the next week.
Thanks alot for your help.

Posted from my mobile device


Awesome. My pleasure!
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 23
Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 09:19
Hello,
As discussed previously, i practiced for around a week and solved as many questions as i could with thorough analysis. I took the G-Prep 2 yesterday and scored 720. The breakup was Q-50 and V-38. I can see some improvement but i am worried that the scores can be inflated since in the Verbal i got one RC passage in the start which i had solved previously. Kindly guide me on the following:
1)How accurate are these scores?
2)What should be my further study plan
3)Which date should i be looking forward to for my exam?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15489
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 21:15
Hi Chinmay1998,

Unfortunately, seeing that 'repeat' RC passage likely inflated your performance in a number of different ways - but there's no way to determine the degree of that inflation. Based on your overall performance, you likely have the necessary knowledge and ability to score 710+, but based on this CAT, we cannot deduce the likelihood that you would earn that type of Score on the Official GMAT.

1) Besides taking this CAT, how else have you studied over the last 3 weeks?
2) Are you still leaning towards taking the GMAT at the end of October?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Posts: 23
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 21:31
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Chinmay1998,

Unfortunately, seeing that 'repeat' RC passage likely inflated your performance in a number of different ways - but there's no way to determine the degree of that inflation. Based on your overall performance, you likely have the necessary knowledge and ability to score 710+, but based on this CAT, we cannot deduce the likelihood that you would earn that type of Score on the Official GMAT.

1) Besides taking this CAT, how else have you studied over the last 3 weeks?
2) Are you still leaning towards taking the GMAT at the end of October?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

1) Study Plan -
Since verbal is my weaker point i focus more on verbal and practice quant on alternate days for an hour or two.
Verbal-
I am done with the OG. I practice around 40-60 SC questions from Manhattan or GMAT Club.
Around 20-25 CR questions from Manhattan or Gmat Club.
2&3 RC passages.
I also read 1-2 articles from Wall street journal or Washington post to improve my reading speed.
Quant-
I am currently practicing 700-800 level questions from Manhattan.

2)I am still keen on taking the GMAT as soon as possible though not october end but anyhow before 11th of November.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sudden drop in mock scores   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2019, 21:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sudden drop in mock scores

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne