Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [11]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618582 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: The city council has announced that it will now increase the city's re [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pardhu1212 wrote:
What exactly is being asked in the question? Assumption, weakening or strength etc.

Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 108
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The city council has announced that it will now increase the city's re [#permalink]
Kudos
Can't we assume that if part of the funding is from fines from proposed regulation, remaining will be filled by City's treasury? If yes, then Option A (OA) may not be correct.
Also, for any city, if there is legal parking available in the square then it makes sense to charge for illegal parking.
Can I request Bunuel to post official explanation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
In this question we are given that the aim is to improve quality of life.
Then we are given that we will build a parking lot.
So shouldn't there be an option that says how building a lot will improve the life.
Also I didn't understand how C is not a possible answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 293
Send PM
The city council has announced that it will now increase the city's re [#permalink]
@veritaskarishma generis mikemcgarry GMATGuruNY

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
The city council has announced that it will now increase the city's re [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Kaushik786 wrote:
The city council has announced that it will now increase the city's revenue and thus improve the quality of life in the city. The plan is to enforce the parking regulations in the main square and to use part of the revenue from the fines to construct a new municipal parking lot in which people can park without time limits or fees.

The city council’s plan rests in the assumption that

A. fines collected from illegal parking in the square will be sufficient to finance construction of the new lot
B. the new municipal parking lot would cause an eventual loss of revenue for the city, since the city council does not plan to charge for its use
C. there is no legal parking available in the square
D. the revenue generated by the collection of the parking fines must be used to improve the quality of life in the city
E. the new municipal parking lot is the most effective use of the funds generated by the collecting of fines in the square

To improve the city's quality of life, the council has come up with the following plan and goal:

Plan:
Enforce parking regulations in the main square
Goal:
Use revenue from the fines to construct a new municipal parking lot in which people can park without time limits or fees

When the correct answer is negated, the plan will not achieve its goal.

A, negated:
Fines collected from illegal parking in the square will not be sufficient to finance construction of the new lot.
Here, the collected fines will be insufficient to construct the new lot, with the result that the plan will not achieve its goal.
Since the negation of A prevents the plan from achieving its goal, A is an ASSUMPTION: a statement that MUST BE TRUE for the plan to achieve its goal.

The other options, negated:

B. The new municipal parking lot would not cause an eventual loss of revenue for the city.
C. There is at least one legal parking spot available in the square.
D. The revenue generated by the collection of the parking fines does not have to be used to improve the quality of life in the city.
E. The new municipal parking lot is not the most effective use of the funds generated by the collecting of fines in the square.

None of these negations prevents the plan from achieving its goal.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
neutronstar wrote:
Can't we assume that if part of the funding is from fines from proposed regulation, remaining will be filled by City's treasury? If yes, then Option A (OA) may not be correct.
We aren't supposed to assume anything!
The question is asking what the COUNCIL has assumed.

This part of the argument tells us that Answer A is one of the assumptions that the council has made:
Quote:
...use part of the revenue from the fines to construct a new municipal parking lot...
If the council plans to use PART of the revenue from fines to construct the new parking lot, then the revenue from the fines HAS to be sufficient.

BTW, the council has made many assumptions in formulating this plan. Answer A is just one of them.

neutronstar wrote:
Also, for any city, if there is legal parking available in the square then it makes sense to charge for illegal parking.
I don't understand how this statement is relevant to the question.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
PRNDL wrote:
In this question we are given that the aim is to improve quality of life.
Then we are given that we will build a parking lot.
So shouldn't there be an option that says how building a lot will improve the life.

No, there need not be such an option.
The council has certainly assumed that the parking lot will improve quality of life. It has also made many other assumptions.
The answer to the question will be ONE of the assumptions. The answer does not (and cannot) mention all possible assumptions.

PRNDL wrote:
Also I didn't understand how C is not a possible answer

The argument does not imply or require that there is no legal parking. There may already be legal parking in the city.
What the plan assumes is that the current legal parking is insufficient or inadequate in some way.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts