Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [179]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [29]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [20]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to [#permalink]
Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

a)some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

b)with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.

d)some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

e)with some showing increased flexibility and others not.

With is required in the answer choice, so A D are removed.
While is required for contrast, so i removed C E out of the remaining and was left with B as the answer choice
IMO the answer should be B

Can you please post the OE and the source of the problem ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

With is required in the answer choice, so A D are removed.
While is required for contrast, so i removed C E out of the remaining and was left with B as the answer choice
IMO the answer should be B

Can you please post the OE and the source of the problem ...

I got E... but it was really tough.

I eliminated A and D for the same reason you did.

I then eliminated B and C because an ING form + and =/ did.
(others did not showing ... doesn't make sense... however simply having "others not showing" works)

I think the contrast is nice but not necessary.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
why do we need "with"?

I do not think we need "with"

this is a tough and unofficial question. study with caution.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
I do not know whether i am correct or not but i feel that .......
The underlined portion is a modifier modifying the verb "reponded", hence a preposition phrase or clause must be used...hence B,C and E remains...."did " is past form but showing is not a past form, hence eliminate B and C
E is the best answer

Consider kudos If my post helps!!!!

Archit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM

a some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.
b with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.
c with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.
d some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.
e with some showing increased flexibility and others not

Can someone explain D and E. Please explain the Usage of "with" Thanks!

Originally posted by fozzzy on 11 Jun 2013, 22:05.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 12 Jun 2013, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
manugmat123 wrote:

I eliminated a,b and c, because others did not is incorrect.

D is wrong because an increase in flexibility and others not are not parallel.

Can anyone explain about below:
1. Why with is required here ? Will it be wrong if we don't use with?
2. difference between and and while to show contrast.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [10]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Mannheim"17
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi guys,

I think use of with is not even an issue!

1)clearly "show+ing" increased flexibility & "did not show" are not parallel.
thus we can eliminate the options with "did".

2)D & E are left with us, we cannot eliminate them on the basis of "with".

here I think, there is a small & subtle difference=> "People" is the subject, thus people can show "Flexibility" either increased or decreased or little etc but people cannot show "an increase", this can be shown by a study or a survey or a result.

then, E it is!!!

this is how I interpreted it, please correct me if I am wrong!!

Cheerz!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Mannheim"17
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
I do not know whether i am correct or not but i feel that .......
The underlined portion is a modifier modifying the verb "reponded", hence a preposition phrase or clause must be used...hence B,C and E remains...."did " is past form but showing is not a past form, hence eliminate B and C
E is the best answer

Consider kudos If my post helps!!!!

Archit

Hi Archit,

I think the underlined portion modifies "people" and not responded.

pls correct me, cuz its contradicting the "ING" form's convention!

Thanks,
Aniket
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
I think it's "B". Since it's a verb modifier, the modfier does not have to touch the verb, and "while" creates the required contrast.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi
I think the option is D because it is very straight short and simple i understand hope you all also agree that when a word is starting with a vowel for eg apple or elephant, we say an apple or an elephant not just apple or elephant similarliy in option D has we have "an increase" hence it is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [7]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM