It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck campus visit

new topic post reply Update application status  
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Tuck campus visit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 06:57
Howdie future Tuckies !!!

As you all know Application season is approaching fast and while everyone else is scrambling to get their GMAT or applications done/ready, your threadmaster is trying to finish his undergrad 8-) .
Jokes aside Tuck has been on top of my B-school list since the day i made my mind to do MBA. I never really got the full college experience as i was working full time while studying part time, so Tuck's really collaborative and tight knit community is what i want to finish my academic career in. In order to give myself best shot i'll be flying out to Hanover to visit Tuck. I know quite a few of the applicants here are Internationals and it's hard for everyone to visit the campus. So i'll document my visit, take as many pictures as possible and ask questions to current students, admissions staff and random folks on the street (maybe not). If you guys could list your questions (please nothing profile specific) and i'll make a list and try to ask them.

My agenda :
1. Be there a night before and try to spend it at Tuck housing (anyone with connections)
2. Visit Gymnasium and get a workout in (yup it is a priority for me)
3. Tour entire campus
4. Have breakfast n lunch at different locations to check out options
5. Attend atleast one class
6. Attend any info sessions

July 28th is the Campus visit day and it's also my friends wedding in Connecticut (3 hours from Tuck). So i'll be missing his wedding but i'll drive down to his reception right after the campus event.
It is going to be one hell of a day, if anyone else is going hit me up and we can catch up there.

Sat Sri Akal,
MbSingh

Final Debrief and Visit Summary if Here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/tuck-campus- ... 46215.html

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Tuck campus visit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 11:31
mbsingh wrote:

As you all know Application season is approaching fast and while everyone else is scrambling to get their GMAT or applications done/ready, your threadmaster is trying to finish his undergrad 8-) .
Jokes aside Tuck has been on top of my B-school list since the day i made my mind to do MBA. I never really got the full college experience as i was working full time while studying part time, so Tuck's really collaborative and tight knit community is what i want to finish my academic career in. In order to give myself best shot i'll be flying out to Hanover to visit Tuck. I know quite a few of the applicants here are Internationals and it's hard for everyone to visit the campus. So i'll document my visit, take as many pictures as possible and ask questions to current students, admissions staff and random folks on the street (maybe not). If you guys could list your questions (please nothing profile specific) and i'll make a list and try to ask them.

My agenda :
1. Be there a night before and try to spend it at Tuck housing (anyone with connections)
3. Tour entire campus

July 28th is the Campus visit day and it's also my friends wedding in Connecticut (3 hours from Tuck). So i'll be missing his wedding but i'll drive down to his reception right after the campus event.
It is going to be one hell of a day, if anyone else is going hit me up and we can catch up there.

Sat Sri Akal,
MbSingh

Missing friend's wedding for campus visit! Brutal. I guess one question that I wanted to ask is "How does Tuck try to cater to a diverse student group with different career visions? I hear a lot about the consulting focus at Tuck so it would be great to know what its approach is to other careers - say for technology or non profits.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 11:59
souvik101990 wrote:
Missing friend's wedding for campus visit! Brutal. I guess one question that I wanted to ask is "How does Tuck try to cater to a diverse student group with different career visions? I hear a lot about the consulting focus at Tuck so it would be great to know what its approach is to other careers - say for technology or non profits.

Ya man, kinda bummed out its on same day but going to his stag next weekend and ill be there at reception party at night so it's all good. For sure man i am making a list of questions to ask and i am going to see if i can get half an hour with adcoms first thing in morning to get all the answers.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 10:12
M B Singh can certainly add to this, but here are my 2 cents.
Each school has its strengths and weaknesses - and of course stereo types. So, take such things with grain of salt.
Let's say tech, Tepper is a great place to be. Not just because the class combination leans towards engineers but also because the university's strength in that area - where you may possibly draw upon alumni network. And of course schools in warm and sunny CA are well positioned too.
The same way, Finance - look at HBS, Booth, etc. For social enterprise - Yale has some strong reputation.

Tuck has most supportive alumni network - to a point where it is described as 'herd mentality' by a few (Veritas Prep). If you think, even if the school is not known in a specific sector of your interest, but you can draw upon network, certainly Tuck will fit the bill. And of course, Tuck is a name to reckon with - you will have doors (mostly) open to you if you do well there.
But going to school is an experience that changes everything. Can't remember where I read it but I read a story of a student at Stanford, who practically broke down and then had to build up confidence all again. There was support and all, but that would reflect on your score card. Location of Tuck is very interesting - to say the least - some would love it and some would hate it - to the guts.
A lot of us (applicants) prioritize ranking, strengths / weaknesses and employment report / salaries, etc. but misses location - a bad for any international student - in my opinion.
So think of all these aspects - along with your chosen sector.

souvik101990 wrote:
mbsingh wrote:

My agenda :
3. Tour entire campus

Sat Sri Akal,
MbSingh

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 10:30
hiren2011 wrote:
Each school has its strengths and weaknesses - and of course stereo types. So, take such things with grain of salt.
Let's say tech, Tepper is a great place to be. Not just because the class combination leans towards engineers but also because the university's strength in that area - where you may possibly draw upon alumni network. And of course schools in warm and sunny CA are well positioned too.
The same way, Finance - look at HBS, Booth, etc. For social enterprise - Yale has some strong reputation.

Tuck has most supportive alumni network - to a point where it is described as 'herd mentality' by a few (Veritas Prep). If you think, even if the school is not known in a specific sector of your interest, but you can draw upon network, certainly Tuck will fit the bill. And of course, Tuck is a name to reckon with - you will have doors (mostly) open to you if you do well there.
But going to school is an experience that changes everything. Can't remember where I read it but I read a story of a student at Stanford, who practically broke down and then had to build up confidence all again. There was support and all, but that would reflect on your score card. Location of Tuck is very interesting - to say the least - some would love it and some would hate it - to the guts.
A lot of us (applicants) prioritize ranking, strengths / weaknesses and employment report / salaries, etc. but misses location - a bad for any international student - in my opinion.

From what i have gathered talking to current students and alumni at Top 10 schools or even students at Foster (top 25). If you are willing to put in the effort regardless if there's strong alumni network in that domain or not, CDO will help you out and you'll land an internship for sure. Regarding MBA experience, you only got one shot. So you can't really do comparison regarding that. Harvard is dream school for everyone but keeping up with rich kids could be bad for one's career. Here's how i am picking schools for myself

GMAT range - higher the range, smarter the people ( to an extent). I want challenges and what better way than competing with brightest people.
Avg/Max Salary Post MBA - I need significant jump from my current wage scale, if avg salary for a school is 100,000 then i am not interested. No point wasting two years of my life for tiny bump.
Name (not the ranking) - Rankings change, reputation doesn't (or atleast not at same pace).
Location - Would love big city experience but looking at the cost of living, i would much rather try to land internship in big city (New york) and atleast have some salary while living there.
Last but not least Gut feeling - Can't really explain it. Just talk to people, don't buy into marketing stuff. Talk to students from your own country and see if you can envision yourself there.

To summarize - GMAT is a lot of work, I bet applications are even more work. Your hard work will pay off somehow. Take leap of faith.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 11:50
mbsingh , you bring up a good point of cost that I didn't mention in my last answer. Of course, it is a big concern for many.

Salary is a different beast altogether though. I have noticed from a few schools' websites / employment reports (those who publish with details) that international students are almost always at a disadvantage. Their salaries are lower by about 10 to 25% (not talking about people who return to their country - but internationals working in the USA). In addition, signing bonuses and other benefits are also tend to be lower and / or non-existent.
Of course, only a few schools publish data with such details, but I am sure that it is not an isolated issue as they had it across all the sectors and all the years - for the data was available.
It also depends a lot on what sector one chooses. Finance, which includes IB and VC, would boost up avg salary and so will consulting. But the moment we take those two sectors out, a different picture emerges and thus be careful when you (or anyone for that matter) bases their expectation based on that published number.

I know you are in Canada - so am I. A loan in CAD would be a very bad idea at this time, but getting a co-signer would also be difficult if we are to take loan from within the USA. That is another issue though.

mbsingh wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:

From what i have gathered talking to current students and alumni at Top 10 schools or even students at Foster (top 25). If you are willing to put in the effort regardless if there's strong alumni network in that domain or not, CDO will help you out and you'll land an internship for sure. Regarding MBA experience, you only got one shot. So you can't really do comparison regarding that. Harvard is dream school for everyone but keeping up with rich kids could be bad for one's career. Here's how i am picking schools for myself

GMAT range - higher the range, smarter the people ( to an extent). I want challenges and what better way than competing with brightest people.
Avg/Max Salary Post MBA - I need significant jump from my current wage scale, if avg salary for a school is 100,000 then i am not interested. No point wasting two years of my life for tiny bump.
Name (not the ranking) - Rankings change, reputation doesn't (or atleast not at same pace).
Location - Would love big city experience but looking at the cost of living, i would much rather try to land internship in big city (New york) and atleast have some salary while living there.
Last but not least Gut feeling - Can't really explain it. Just talk to people, don't buy into marketing stuff. Talk to students from your own country and see if you can envision yourself there.

To summarize - GMAT is a lot of work, I bet applications are even more work. Your hard work will pay off somehow. Take leap of faith.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 12:14
hiren2011 wrote:
mbsingh , you bring up a good point of cost that I didn't mention in my last answer. Of course, it is a big concern for many.

Salary is a different beast altogether though. I have noticed from a few schools' websites / employment reports (those who publish with details) that international students are almost always at a disadvantage. Their salaries are lower by about 10 to 25% (not talking about people who return to their country - but internationals working in the USA). In addition, signing bonuses and other benefits are also tend to be lower and / or non-existent.
Of course, only a few schools publish data with such details, but I am sure that it is not an isolated issue as they had it across all the sectors and all the years - for the data was available.
It also depends a lot on what sector one chooses. Finance, which includes IB and VC, would boost up avg salary and so will consulting. But the moment we take those two sectors out, a different picture emerges and thus be careful when you (or anyone for that matter) bases their expectation based on that published number.

I know you are in Canada - so am I. A loan in CAD would be a very bad idea at this time, but getting a co-signer would also be difficult if we are to take loan from within the USA. That is another issue though.

Over 10 year timeframe or lifetime of employment pretty much everyone is better off getting an MBA but since MBA usually happens between ages of 25-35 and that's where most people either get married, or plan stuff like that, MBA becomes even more trickier. Yeah jobs for internationals ( Mostly Indians) will be tricky, Consulting requires a certain personality. Someone who's aware of North American culture and can talk the talk and walk the walk. Internationals are not in-competent in any way but it's easier for locals to sell stuff than internationals. IB and VC i have no clue but then again its same thing, it requires socializing and i personally feel internationals could be at a disadvantage here. In truest sense/ actual underlying genuine reason for getting an MBA is having a better life which is 99% of the time means making more money. So weigh your options in terms of Industry you are trying to settle into, Cost of MBA at each school and Post MBA avg salary for that industry. And then go for the most financially preferable option

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 07:39
Hmmm seems like not too people have seen this topic or just not in that stage of the process yet.
Anyhow i am flying out to Tuck in 10 days, feel free to post your questions, concerns here or PM me and ill try to get you answers from adcom or current students.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 22:39
Hi MBsingh - I look forward to your analysis on the visit! I submitted an application for the Tuck Diversity Conference in early November so I'm hoping to make a trip out then.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what there is to do in the community while not in class.

Enjoy the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 15:10
JMBA wrote:
Hi MBsingh - I look forward to your analysis on the visit! I submitted an application for the Tuck Diversity Conference in early November so I'm hoping to make a trip out then.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what there is to do in the community while not in class.

Enjoy the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

For sure. I am heading there next thursday - meeting up with couple of current students. And then friday is the summer campus event. I have reached out to few profs but they are out of town. Let's see how it goes. Let me know if you want me to check out something specific or ask any questions to current students.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 21:01
Hey Mbsingh! How was the visit? Can you share any photos? and insights?
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 07:07
mridulm1812 wrote:
Hey Mbsingh! How was the visit? Can you share any photos? and insights?

I was working on it last night but couldnt finish it all. There are way too many pictures and audio files to be included. I am gonna post it in couple hours.

Post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/tuck-campus- ... 46215.html

Last edited by bb on 02 Aug 2017, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
added link
Re: Tuck campus visit   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2017, 07:07

Tuck campus visit

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbsingh

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap