Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:51 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:51
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.46
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
Any idea when the candidates will be sent the letter of rejection?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
With Just <30 days remaining for the decision deadline, chances are getting slimmer everyday. :(
Or, is there a chance still.?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: CDO Weighs In: Recruiting Advice for Investment Banking

Deirdre O’Donnell is an associate director of Tuck's Career Development Office (CDO).

Discuss how you’d prepare for fit interviews for the investment banking industry.

The first thing that’s very important is to understand what the desired skill set is for the industry. There are very standard competencies that all investment banks look for. They’ve all had consulting firms in to do studies on what makes the most successful people successful. The most importance competency is leadership, followed by quantitative ability, which means you have to be a logical problem-solver who is comfortable with numbers. Because of what you do as an associate, you really need to be somebody who takes a lot of personal initiative, which might be another thing they test for in the first round interviews.

The final round interviews for banking are usually with someone much more senior who is looking at you through a different lens. They are looking to see if you would be an asset in a meeting: are you client-facing? That’s a hard thing to prepare for. People are either socially adept or they’re not. It’s really a test of your listening skills and putting your client first, so they’re going to ask you fit questions that will address those things.

Doing a lot of mock interviews is essential. It’s a client-facing business, so you never want to sound rehearsed. To get comfortable, practice with second-years, the CDO, and with Tuck alumni who are currently associates at the investment banks. I’ve never seen a situation where someone hasn’t been willing to do mock interviews so there’s a lot of support.

Shed some light on technical questions that are asked in the investment banking industry.

We have collected a whole library of technical questions over the years. That’s complemented by the core curriculum where there are three key classes that help in this preparation: Accounting, Decision Science, and Capital Markets. The easiest way for banks to test whether or not you’ve got a grasp of the technical concepts is to ask for grades. Tuck’s a non-grade-disclosure school, but banks will typically ask students if they’re comfortable revealing their grades. If you don’t, they’ll assume the worst. They will also test your modeling skills and may have you walk them through a DCF or LBO model in an interview.

We bring up Training the Street before Winter Break to go through how banks do their models, how to work those models through Excel, things like that. We do it before Winter Break so that students then have those weeks to crunch through the 400 technical questions we have in our library and then use what they’ve learned in the Training the Street class. Also, the Finance Club does a tremendous job assigning mentors. Each second-year student might have three or four mentees and they will do a series of technical mock interviews with them until they’re comfortable with the concepts.

People who have a quantitative background don’t often get a lot of technical questions. The assumption is they’ve got a quantitative major; they’re doing well in the Tuck classes; they can do the work. It’s the people with nontraditional backgrounds who get the most technical questions. So they do have to work a little bit harder, but the second-years know that and they’re very supportive.

Tell me about the logistics of the typical interview process for the investment banking industry.

Typically, there are two interviews, a first round and a final round. Usually they’re one-on-one: one bank representative to one student. Sometimes they are two-on-one where they’ll have somebody who’s more experienced at interviewing and someone who’s new, as a way to train them. But the second person is usually there to listen, so in terms of your interaction it’s one-on-one.

The first round interview is usually with somebody at the vice president level to test your technical ability. Can you crunch the numbers? Are you detail-oriented? Can you deal with tight time frames? Can you prioritize because you’re working on more than one project? They’re looking at you in terms of what they need in an associate.

Assuming you make the final round interview, then it’s more the client-facing fit piece. Fit is important and even more so if you’re interviewing away from the bank headquarters. If you have interest in going to San Francisco or Houston, the offices are much smaller and you’re working long hours together in highly tense situations, so it is important for them to feel comfortable with you as a team member.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.15
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
USuleri wrote:

I am also keen on an answer to that... the interview didn't go as well as I would have liked...each day i think of something that I could have answered better in the interview...

I am an international applicant (India) and would like nothing more than a confirmation, whether acceptance or rejection, as soon as possible...I heard that decisions start rolling out and would most probably be intimated in the coming weeks..so, no need to wait till 11th March (deadline for decisions of round 2)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
So I got the application completion mail on 21st Jan and haven't heard anything afterwards. So is it end of the story?
Decision date is one month away.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Send PM
akskal wrote:
USuleri wrote:

I am also keen on an answer to that... the interview didn't go as well as I would have liked...each day i think of something that I could have answered better in the interview...

I am an international applicant (India) and would like nothing more than a confirmation, whether acceptance or rejection, as soon as possible...I heard that decisions start rolling out and would most probably be intimated in the coming weeks..so, no need to wait till 11th March (deadline for decisions of round 2)

just keen to know more about this. How do you know that they intimate the decisions before the mentioned date?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.15
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
hawksight wrote:
akskal wrote:
USuleri wrote:

just keen to know more about this. How do you know that they intimate the decisions before the mentioned date?

Someone told me that the adcom does not wait till the very end to let the international candidates know their decision so that they can start working on visa..
And I read somewhere about a school that starts to informing the international applicants a week before the round deadline. So, can't direct you to an official source. Sorry.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Send PM
akskal wrote:

Someone told me that the adcom does not wait till the very end to let the international candidates know their decision so that they can start working on visa..
And I read somewhere about a school that starts to informing the international applicants a week before the round deadline. So, can't direct you to an official source. Sorry.

No its ok. It's just that this wait is tougher than the entire admission process. Like they say an ideal mind is devil's playground. Too many thoughts and inbox refreshes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 2.8
WE:Analyst (Retail)
Send PM
Are the interview invites still rolling out?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
I received an interview invite today. I live in DC. Excited!

Last interview slot available was Feb 25th so I figure some interviews may roll out in the next few days.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I need people's thoughts! Got an interview invite today (January Round), but there are only a few days available to interview (only goes past the 25th and it's only Tues-Thurs). Unfortunately the only day I can go is the 17th, but weather channel is saying Hanover (and most of northeast) will get freezing rain and snow early next week.

Should I risk the weather and fly there and back (have to get back the following day for work). I would risk getting a canceled flight/send back and for adcom emails to reschedule/messing up everyone's schedules/visiting school during ugly weather. Or should I just do a skype interview? I really want to visit to show I'm serious, but I don't want to mix snow and planes lol. I feel like the chaos of weather disruptions would look worse then opting for a skype interview.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
My friend from Argentina received his invite today and has his interview at the end of the week. Good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Sloan '18 (M)
Send PM
Consistent with EA, can we expect the November round admit calls to start tomorrow?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Tuck '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GRE 1: Q163 V156
GPA: 3.76
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
DoorDelano wrote:
I need people's thoughts! Got an interview invite today (January Round), but there are only a few days available to interview (only goes past the 25th and it's only Tues-Thurs). Unfortunately the only day I can go is the 17th, but weather channel is saying Hanover (and most of northeast) will get freezing rain and snow early next week.

Should I risk the weather and fly there and back (have to get back the following day for work). I would risk getting a canceled flight/send back and for adcom emails to reschedule/messing up everyone's schedules/visiting school during ugly weather. Or should I just do a skype interview? I really want to visit to show I'm serious, but I don't want to mix snow and planes lol. I feel like the chaos of weather disruptions would look worse then opting for a skype interview.

Do your best to present in person. I'd bet the adcom will be more than understanding if weather restricts. Skype should be plan B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Restless November round applicant here from India. Slow death.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Admitted. Got a call around 3 hours back
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
rsindhu wrote:
Admitted. Got a call around 3 hours back

Congrats. Called by alum? Looks like it's curtains for me. Were you also interviewed By alum?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32  ...  42   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts