GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Kenan-Flagler($$$$) vs Rotman($$$) vs Darden($$) for Indian

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 10% [3]
  • 26% [8]
  • 63% [19]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Kenan-Flagler($$$$) vs Rotman($$$) vs Darden($$) for Indian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 21:39
I have been admitted to Kenan-Flagler with a full ride, Toronto Rotman with a 75% tuition funding, and UVA Darden with 50% tuition funding. I am married and an Indian citizen in my late twenties and would like to consider the easier immigration perspective that Canada has to offer (compared to the long waiting time for an Indian applying for a permanent residency in the US on an employment based category) but also don’t want to miss out on the earning potential in the US. Which school would you choose and why? Would it be wise to do a degree from the united states and then move to Canada after a few years of working here? Any insights would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Kenan-Flagler($$$$) vs Rotman($$$) vs Darden($$) for Indian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 07:59
Hello Aakashsharma1 ..... welcome to the community.

If you choose Rotman ....... you will be in the way to easiest immigration pathway in North America. On average with current immigration policies you can get a Canadian citizenship in 4-6 years (depending on the exact case).

Saying that ....... out of the schools you have listed, Darden is the most prestigious one. But again, with current US immigration policies , H1-B visa is not 100% guaranteed for even an HBS graduate.

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 14:51
Thanks for you response! I am already on an H1B visa in the US and would be going back to school for mba. What I am more concerned about is easier green card process in canada vs higher earning potential in US.

Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 15:11
If you were single Darden would have been a no brainer. But, you have a complicated situation. With H4 under the radar you might also want to consult your wife regarding her career aspirations. I guess you already have and very well understand the Visa situation. Having said that if the end goal is to move to Canada in 4-5 years then Rotman should be your choice as I don't see any major benefit coming from Darden in such short time.
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 15:32
What's your post-MBA career goal (industry / function)?
For example, if you go into consulting you will earn great in US. You can do that for 2-4 years and then move to Canada at a much higher level and you will get good positions.

Once your respond, I can write more.

Application Journey - From zero admits to 4 T15 offers | GMAT Debrief - 770 (Q49,V47)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 19:23
Thanks for the responses and the votes. Much appreciated! However, I am surprised till now that Kenan-Flagler hasn’t gotten a single vote, even though I am getting a full ride. And we won’t have to shell out as much as 60k (of after tax money) for tuition at Darden (after 50% funding).

I should also make it clear that both my wife and I are on H1B visa right now. We both plan to do our mba and she will be applying for a fall 2020 start.

I am thinking of strategy consulting after mba but might opt for general management if I like that better. I am not sure the hectic consulting lifestyle would suit me even though I find the work appealing. Hence I dont want to put too much weight on the very high consulting salaries.

Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 22:00
Looking at your situation I would say go for Darden. In my humble opinion it will give you a much better brand value outside U.S. As far as U.N.C is concerned it's a great school but it's not in Darden's league. 60k would have been a deciding factor for an Indian candidate who is just moving to U.S and might not get H1B. With Darden you have a much better shot at MBB and the extra money won't matter much in the long run. But it's your money after all and it's your call.
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 07:15
I agree with the other comments..... depending on what we know as of now ? .......Darden seems to be a better choice even if you have to shell out some bucks..........all the best.

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 16:49
Thanks all for your opinions. I will post a response to this post once we make a decision.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kenan-Flagler($$$$) vs Rotman($$$) vs Darden($$) for Indian   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2019, 16:49

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap