It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike psychiatrists, who are trained as medical doctors, psychologist

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [1], given: 0

Unlike psychiatrists, who are trained as medical doctors, psychologist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:03) correct 41% (01:08) wrong based on 532 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike psychiatrists, who are trained as medical doctors, psychologists have historically been forbidden from prescribing their patient drugs, but in 2002 New Mexico began to grant the privilege of prescribing to licensed, doctoral level psychologists who complete an additional training and certification program.

A. psychologists have historically been forbidden from prescribing their patient drugs, but in 2002 New Mexico began to grant the privilege of prescribing

B. psychologists have historically been forbidden to prescribe drugs for their patients, but in 2002 New Mexico began granting prescribing privileges

C. psychologists have historically been forbidden to prescribe their patients drugs, but in 2002 in New Mexico, the privilege to prescribe began to be granted

D. historically psychologists have been forbidden from prescribing their patients drugs, but in 2002 New Mexico began to grant the privilege of prescribing

E. historically psychologists have been forbidden from prescribing drugs for their patients, but in 2002 in New Mexico, they began granting prescribing privileges

[Reveal] Spoiler:
----
my specific question is, is there a difference between:
..but in 2002 New Mexico began to grant...
..but in 2002 New Mexico began granting..

thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 27 Sep 2017, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted the Q

Kudos [?]: 118 [1], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 0

Re: Unlike psychiatrists, who are trained as medical doctors, psychologist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 09:35
B

according to MGMAT SC idiom list, "forbid to" is the correct idiom

edit:
actually, "forbidden from" is also correct, according to here http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashc ... 769?page=2

but the sentence "forbidden from prescribing their patient drugs" is awkward
it sounds better if it was "forbidden from prescribing drugs to their patient"

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: Unlike psychiatrists, who are trained as medical doctors, psychologist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 09:58
B for me too...

@gmat blows
B correctly states as "prescribing privileges"

I think, "Began to grant" and "began granting" both are correct. However the rest of the statement - "privileges of prescribing to licensed psychologists" is misleading. It may be read as "privileges of prescribing to licensed pscyhologists".

Thus, stating it as "prescribing privileges" avoids this confusion.

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 14:56
jallenmorris wrote:
I think D. Will explain in a moment.

gmat blows wrote:
Unlike psychiatrists, who are trained as medical doctors, psychologists have historically been forbidden from prescribing their patient drugs, but in 2002 New Mexico began to grant the privilege of prescribing to licensed, doctoral level psychologists who complete an additional training and certification program.

A. psychologists have historically been forbidden from prescribing their patient drugs, but in 2002 New Mexico began to grant the privilege of prescribing
B. psychologists have historically been forbidden to prescribe drugs for their patients, but in 2002 New Mexico began granting prescribing privileges
C. psychologists have historically been forbidden to prescribe their patients drugs, but in 2002 in New Mexico, the privilege to prescribe began to be granted
D. historically psychologists have been forbidden from prescribing their patients drugs, but in 2002 New Mexico began to grant the privilege of prescribing
E. historically psychologists have been forbidden from prescribing drugs for their patients, but in 2002 in New Mexico, they began granting prescribing privileges.

----

thanks.

B looks good for me

"forbidden to prescribe drugs for their patients" sounds better

"forbidden from prescribing their patients drugs" vs --- "forbidden from prescribing drugs for their patients"
second one sounds better to me. Can some one throw lights on this

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 5

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 362 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 16:36
verb form should be as close as possible and placement of unnecessary words should be avoided in verbs. "Historically" is wrongly placed in A, B, and C, where it is separating "have" from "been".

Seems correct to me.

E. historically psychologists have been forbidden from prescribing drugs for their patients, but in 2002 in New Mexico, they began granting prescribing privileges.
Seems awkward because "granting prescribing" does not go well. You can say either "to grant the privilege of prescribing" or "granting privileges to prescribe".

I will go with D.

Kudos [?]: 362 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2008, 21:46
Yes D looks better of reasons given but original question still remains unanswered

is there a difference between:

btw what is OA.???

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2008, 22:29
I think it is A. "Forbidden from' is correct idiom. OA please.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 02:59
MY pick for this one is D

in case it is the correct answer then i can explain

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 03:17
gmat blows wrote:

C. psychologists have historically been forbidden to prescribe their patients drugs, but in 2002 in New Mexico, the privilege to prescribe began to be grantedawkward

----

thanks.

D and E are out - Modifier issues

B is the only answer left. Forbid to is the right idiom

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 627 [1], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding on GMATClub regarding "forbid to" or "forbid from". Here is my opinion on the subject:

Forbid to
I have seen more people, on various forums, state that this is the correct idiom. It is also a very active voice. "I forbid you to see him again!" MGMAT SC says it's the correct idiom.

Forbid from
To many non-native English speakers, this sounds incorrect. I was born in the U.S., and it sounds fine to me, but then, many in different parts of the U.S. say odd things (pop, soda, or Coke?[even though you're drinking Pepsi!])

My Conclusion:
It seems that on the GMAT, the correct answer, when given "forbid from" or "forbid to" is going to be "forbid to".

If there is not an answer that contains a form of "forbid to". Find one that doesn't use "forbid from", but doesn't break any other rules.

The Lesser of Two Evils is Often the Best Choice on the GMAT!

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 627 [1], given: 32

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 06:14
IMO (b) is correct.
i also have a question- which of the following would be better and why ?
1. prescribe drugs for their patients
2. prescribe drugs to their patients

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 11:43
sorry for the late response. OA is B.

thanks!

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 11:53
Makes sense with regard to the idiom "forbid to" / "Forbidden to" etc...{even though I got it wrong with my first guess :(

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2008, 07:34
I went with B and the idiom is forbid to..

check this out..

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/idi ... t2254.html

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 974 [0], given: 621

GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2010, 08:39
Hi guys!

I am confused with B, "but in 2002 New Mexico began granting prescribing privileges" How New mexico began granting? is it an authority or a person? no! so it is a bit nonscence to me.

thasnk

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Kudos [?]: 974 [0], given: 621

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 669 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 06:44
For those who find option B hard to grasp:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... tml#p31559

Additionally:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... tml#p15685

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 669 [0], given: 606

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 21:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As far as I know

Forbid X TO do Y is correct usage on GMAT

Prohibit X doing from Y is correct on GMAT

Forbid takes "to" --> infinitive form of verb

prohibit takes "ing" -->

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 18:46

: who started granting is not clear. " but in 2002 in New Mexico" as a modifier distort the intended meaning that is "New Mexico began to grant "

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 15:40

change to passive tense not needed and is wrong
D. historically psychologists have been forbidden from prescribing their patients drugs, but in 2002 New Mexico began to grant the privilege of prescribing incorrect comparison.

E. historically psychologists have been forbidden from prescribing drugs for their patients, but in 2002 in New Mexico, they began granting prescribing privileges incorrect comparison

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Re: Unlike psychiatrists, who are trained as medical doctors, psychologist   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2017, 15:40

Unlike psychiatrists, who are trained as medical doctors, psychologist

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap