Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Venting Thread [#permalink]
Aenigma wrote:
LB20 wrote:
Gahhhh. I submitted my final application last night and my friend just found a typo.

UGH I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A TYPO. Unbelievable. Up until then I thought I had a shot.

I know everyone says that it's okay if there's a totally minor typo, but it's so early in my essays that I'm worried it will make them notice any other errors (if there are any--hopefully there aren't). UGH UGH UGH UGH.

Sorry I just had to vent.

Haha. I feel ya, LB. This is why you should never again look at, think about, or be near your application essays. (Not until you get an interview, anyway.) When I printed out my HBS application, for example, I studiously averted my eyes at all times, approaching the printer with a nonchalant sideways sidle and the zip! - I pulled the app off the machine and thrust it under my arm. I keep all my final apps in a folder hidden under other folders in a corner of my room so they can't taunt me in my darkest hours of insecurity. When I opened up my Stanford essays to help me generate material for my Stern essays, I deliberately hit a few stray keys so that if I noticed any typos I could pretend I had just made them. Yes, this process has made me crazy.

I do this when it's really late at night, too, and I don't want to know what time it is: I approach with my peripheral vision and then cover those evil blinking digits with a piece of paper! Ha!

Yeah...the best part is, I had been GREAT about this on my own--it was only when my friend happened to look at the essay once more after I had submitted it that this happened. Oy vey. I guess whatever happens happens. But I wish I didn't know!!!

This process has made me nutso too. Went to the gym for the first time tonight in months, and am a happy camper.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Submitted Chicago and LBS. Now will have to work on INSEAD/Oxford and HEC. Different sets of essays, different stories to tell...the pain continues.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Kudos
AUGH I DON'T WANT TO WAIT ANYMORE

sorry...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

I am pretty good about distracting myself outside of work--getting back in shape, hanging out with friends I haven't seen in months, getting my life in order, etc. But when I'm at work, I can't resist checking forums and compulsively checking for a Wharton invite, even though I know that most won't go out until the week of Feb. 15.

AAAAAAH. Just had to get that out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
LB20 wrote:
Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

I am pretty good about distracting myself outside of work--getting back in shape, hanging out with friends I haven't seen in months, getting my life in order, etc. But when I'm at work, I can't resist checking forums and compulsively checking for a Wharton invite, even though I know that most won't go out until the week of Feb. 15.

AAAAAAH. Just had to get that out.

Yea, I know what you mean. Waiting sucks. I need a drink, but it's only morning, and I'm at work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [2]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Kudos
-

-

-

-

PS:- this is how I find myself staring at people, laptop, WCs etc. A blank stare
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
unplugged wrote:
PS:- this is how I find myself staring at people, laptop, WCs etc. A blank stare

:?: :?: :?:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
unplugged wrote:
-

-

-

-

LOL! The crazy thing is that I know EXACTLY what you mean. I don't think I've ever been so......spacey in my life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Kudos
nink wrote:
unplugged wrote:

:?: :?: :?:

Ha ha. The blank stare is because I try to rehearse answers to why MBA, why now etc in my mind.

zippy10 wrote:
unplugged wrote:
-

-

LOL! The crazy thing is that I know EXACTLY what you mean. I don't think I've ever been so......spacey in my life.

Yeah, I know. I sometimes scare the housekeeping staff, the early morning dog-walkers with my stares
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
This is such a great thread. Thanks for starting it. Sometimes I do have to wonder why I want to studying hours every night, write essays after essays, and pay hundreds of dollars to go back to school...

Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [2]
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Kudos
Yaaaaargggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

I was fine until this week, but now my productivity has plummeted. So has my workload, for whatever reason, which I would normally appreciate, but it just means I have more time to check my e-mail. I disabled my pop-up e-mail notifier so I wouldn't jump out of my seat every time I got a message, but now I just have my account open all the time. And GMAT Club, I love ya, but I need to stop refreshing every couple of minutes.

I also continue to have a bipolar love/hate relationship with my own candidacy. Brilliant. Boring. Mindblowing. Mundane. Qualified. Clueless. Fresh perspective. Freakazoid.

And I guess, ultimately, I don't need an admissions committee to tell me that I am: all those things.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
Kudos
Aenigma wrote:

I was fine until this week, but now my productivity has plummeted. So has my workload, for whatever reason, which I would normally appreciate, but it just means I have more time to check my e-mail. I disabled my pop-up e-mail notifier so I wouldn't jump out of my seat every time I got a message, but now I just have my account open all the time. And GMAT Club, I love ya, but I need to stop refreshing every couple of minutes.

I also continue to have a bipolar love/hate relationship with my own candidacy. Brilliant. Boring. Mindblowing. Mundane. Qualified. Clueless. Fresh perspective. Freakazoid.

And I guess, ultimately, I don't need an admissions committee to tell me that I am: all those things.

This. Exactly. Plus my gut feeling is telling me I am not getting in anywhere I applied except for the schools that I am lukewarm on. Also, I am regretting not sending an application to where I went undergrad. I would really be happy to go back there but my husband does not seem too excited about moving to the great state of North Carolina.

Originally posted by dcdevil on 03 Feb 2010, 09:37.
Last edited by dcdevil on 03 Feb 2010, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:

Haha, yes. I can't tell you how many times I've mulled my essays over in my mind with exactly those wavering sentiments.

How could I tell adcom that?? No, wait, why wouldn't I tell adcom that??? What a risky topic choice; I'd rip that application up. :( What a bold and exciting topic choice; I'd admit me. :-D

I love it. As long as we get in at a school we love, the ride will have been totally worth it and we'll look back a few months from now and laugh.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
really wishing i would have been able to apply RD 1. my lease is up next month and they wont allow month-to-month. i won't have decisions until the end of the month so i don't know if i'll be staying put or moving. no way i find a 3-4 month lease, the only option is to rent a room and move in with strangers. i don't live in the same area as my family and none of my friends really own homes here, they're all in apartments also :cry:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard (R2 - Waiting), Stanford (R2 - See Wharton), Wharton (R2 - Bitchslapped)
Send PM
coakleym wrote:
Aenigma wrote:

Haha, yes. I can't tell you how many times I've mulled my essays over in my mind with exactly those wavering sentiments.

How could I tell adcom that?? No, wait, why wouldn't I tell adcom that??? What a risky topic choice; I'd rip that application up. :( What a bold and exciting topic choice; I'd admit me. :-D

I love it. As long as we get in at a school we love, the ride will have been totally worth it and we'll look back a few months from now and laugh.

I support that sentiment. Though, I particularly enjoy the constant rush to the highs and lows that only uncertainty can bring out. All I can hope for is that I will be able to retain my countenance on decision day, but for now I look back fondly on this at times miserable, at times euphoric but undeniably cathartic process.
Current Student
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. And an extra Ditto just for good measure.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This waiting is sooooooooooooooooooo friggin' hard!!! I can't get anything done at work. I keep checking forums/status every 5 minutes. Argh!!! I thought waiting from 3 schools would spread out the stress, but it has tripled it!!! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm going out of my mind, which is NOT a good thing at work.

Worst thing is that I find myself calling my mom - yes, my mom - to talk about the stress and stuff. This is friggin' sad.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12