GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Verbal Accuracy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Verbal Accuracy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 20:34
I am getting a current accuracy of 68-74%(24-27qs out of 36 qs correct) for verbal in the sectional tests which i am attempting with no more than 2-3 questions in a row. In order to achieve a V40 what should be my percentage accuracy? I have not yet taken a full length test yet.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Verbal Accuracy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 21:35
Hi Chinmin123,

The Scoring Algorithm is more complicated than most people realize - and it takes into account far more than the number/percentage of correct answers. While working on individual practice questions and Quizzes are both a valuable part of the overall training process, there's no practical way to determine how ready you are to face the Verbal section of the GMAT except by taking a FULL-LENGTH CAT under realistic testing conditions (meaning that you take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). If you have not taken any practice CATs/mocks yet, then I suggest that you take one soon (perhaps this weekend). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how best to proceed.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 22:04
Thank you so much for the information Sir. I will try to take the mock as soon as possible.
Studies:
1) Its been a month and a half since i started studying for the exam. I had joined a GMAT coaching institute and have finished attending the classes. Now i am in the post class phase and focussing on speed and accuracy. I typically study 3-4 hours a day which is around 21-28 hours a week.
2) I am done solving the Official Guide and have reviewed all the tough/tricky questions for the quant and verbal sections. I am going through a list of idioms everyday. I have also started reading articles from WSJ, Washington Post etc to get more familiar with American english and improve my reading speed. Besides this i am using the material provided by the institute which is a compilation of all the famous books for GMAT prep. I am also giving 1 sectional test per day for verbal and reviewing it thoroughly.

Goals:
3) My overall goal score is 710+
4) I am planning to attempt the exam in October mostly around the 15th.
5) Since i am still in the final year of my bachelor's program i plan on applying for Deffered MBA or MiM (after a year's work experience).
6) For Deffered MBA:

1) Indian School of Business
2) Chicago Booth scholar's program
3) 2+2 program at Harvard Business school
4) Yale Silver Scholar's program.
5) IESE early admission program (YTP)

For MiM:
1) HEC Paris
2) London Business school
3) Essec France
4) Insead
5) Duke Fuqua MSM

These just the options which i am considering, but it finally depends on my GMAT score.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 22:36
Hi Chinmin123,

You've named some highly-competitive Programs, so a high GMAT Score will be a 'must.' In addition, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

At this point in your studies, it's really important to take FULL-LENGTH CATs at regular intervals (since there are Test-taking skills that take time to develop, but that can really only be learned by taking CATs over time) and in a realistic fashion (as I described in my prior post). Going forward, you should plan to take a new CAT/mock every 1-2 weeks. We can discuss any additional adjustments once we have your 1st CAT Score as a reference.

Rich

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 23:26
Alright sir,
Thank you so much for your guidance. Will definitely get in touch Once i have attempted my first mock test.

Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 19:45
Hi Chinmin123,

I agree that in order to see exactly where you are at, you should take an official GMAT practice exam. Once you take the practice exam, feel free to report back here with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 20:50
Hello Sir,
Will definitely report back in a day or two with my mock scores. Thanks alot.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 21:28
Hello,
So I attempted my first full length test (leaving the AWA section) and i got a score of 680. Section wise breakage-
Quant:
27/31 correct
Estimated score between 47-49
Verbal:
22/36 correct-
SC 8/10
CR 9/12
RC 6/14

Estimated score-
29-31

Kindly guide me how to proceed aahead and if i continue the preparation religiously by when can i attempt my GMAT.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 11:28
Hi Chinmin123,

Assuming that this Score is an accurate assessment of your current skills, you're closer to a 710+ than you probably realize. "Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about this CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 11:53
Hello Sir,
The test which i gave was a test prepared by my coaching institute and had a combination of easy,medium and hard questions. Though the test was not computer adaptive i tried not to get more than 2-3 questions wrong consecutively.
I did review the CAT thoroughly and noticed the following points about my wrong questions:
1) I got 1 question wrong in Quant due to silly mistake and nearly 4-5 questions wrong in verbal most of them being CR. I felt that i was losing my focus after solving the first 10-15 questions in a section which eventually led to silly mistakes.
2) Maths i did not face a problem in remembering stuff, though in verbal i did have some issues with vocabulary.
3) Quant there were 2 questions which i found lengthy and tough to solve. Verbal there was an RC passage which i just could not understand (maybe because i was exhausted) and got all four questions wrong in a row.
4) Quant i managed to finish early and got around 5-6 minutes for the last question. Verbal however i faced a time shortage for the last 3-4 questions and had to rush through.
5) 2-3 of the wrong questions in SC i could narrow down to 2 options but ended up selecting the wrong one.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 12:01
Hi Chinmin123,

The only practical way to assess your skills (and your 'readiness' to face the Official GMAT) is take a reputable practice CAT/mock - and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). From what you describe, there's some question as to how accurate this practice test may have been, so I suggest that you take one of the 2 free Official practice CATs (from www.mba.com). For the next few days, you should study and review as you see fit, then take the CAT over the weekend (if possible). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verbal Accuracy   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2019, 12:01

Verbal Accuracy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k