GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wharton ($$), Yale SOM ($$$), CBS ($$$) or Sloan ($$$)?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Where should I go?

• 57% [44]
  • 27% [21]
  • 7% [6]
  • 6% [5]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Wharton ($$), Yale SOM ($$$), CBS ($$$) or Sloan ($$$)?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 22:11
Hi all - very, very conflicted on this - W essentially gave me enough to cover 85% of tuition & fees and I received full rides from SOM, CBS, and Sloan.

Background: IB turned impact investing fund of funds. On the younger side (<25). ST goal: MBB consulting (want more strategy/operations exposure). LT goal: Returning to impact investing (direct investing, not fund of funds) or moving towards entrepreneurship (fintech), with a focus on Sub-Saharan Africa (familial connection + frontier market).

Less keen on Sloan due to the culture. Graduated from Columbia undergrad so not sure if it makes sense from a network perspective.

I think it comes down to W or SOM, but let me know if you think otherwise!

W would be a ranking play and they have a well funded/run social impact initiative. Not crazy about the class size and heard professors could be better. However, would also have the option to apply for the HKS dual degree. Attended admit wknd - current students seem to be very engaged. Named an endowed Fellow.

SOM's ethos is in better alignment with my interests, but alumni network is less expansive / diversified. Also let's be honest, New Haven. However, have loved all the interactions I have had with students, faculty, administration. Just good people. Also named Consortium + Forte Fellow.

Overall, not an easy decision! Please vote and kindly let me know if you have any more pros/cons - trying to wrap this up by this weekend! Thank you!!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 22:44
I voted Y-Bomb because:

Deliberating wrote:
I received full rides from SOM

SOM's ethos is in better alignment with my interests

have loved all the interactions I have had with students, faculty, administration.

I don't think you can go wrong with your options, so I'd try and figure out where you'd be *happiest*, and from the info in your post it seemed like SOM may be that place.
Intern
Intern
Re: Wharton ($$), Yale SOM ($$$), CBS ($$$) or Sloan ($$$)?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 23:04
teleste wrote:
I don't think you can go wrong with your options, so I'd try and figure out where you'd be *happiest*, and from the info in your post it seemed like SOM may be that place.

Thank you - very much appreciate the perspective! SOM seems to be the most nurturing community over the two years, but willing to be a member of another if it means better long term value. That's the ultimate trade off in my mind.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 23:58
wharton
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 07:53
Sloan would be an interesting alternative for Fintech. What didn't you like about the culture?

Anyway, I feel like with your profile fit is the most important factor and in that case you should go to Yale SOM (without considering $)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 10:33
drnostrand wrote:
Sloan would be an interesting alternative for Fintech. What didn't you like about the culture?

Anyway, I feel like with your profile fit is the most important factor and in that case you should go to Yale SOM (without considering $)

Thanks for the reply! Re: Sloan, talking to some more folks today, but feel like the African presence is not as strong there. Seems like I would have to be more enterprising to create a community on campus and developing a relevant network as an alum. Also, don't come from a STEM background so may be a little alienating in that regard (recognize folks come from various backgrounds, but the concentration is there). That being said, tech/VC is obviously huge @ Sloan (see: Doug Leone).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 10:44
Deliberating wrote:
drnostrand wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Re: Sloan, talking to some more folks today, but feel like the African presence is not as strong there. Seems like I would have to be more enterprising to create a community on campus and developing a relevant network as an alum. Also, don't come from a STEM background so may be a little alienating in that regard (recognize folks come from various backgrounds, but the concentration is there). That being said, tech/VC is obviously huge @ Sloan (see: Doug Leone).

Makes sense, for me the STEM background was a plus (disclaimer: Studied Engineering) and I get your point about the African presence as well. Have you tried reaching out to members from the MIT Sloan Africa Business Club?

https://www.facebook.com/mitafrica/
http://africans.mit.edu/
https://innovation.mit.edu/event/mit-sl ... ence-2017/
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 12:48
Congrats on a fantastic Admit!
If you are going outside of the US, Yale or Wharton will be very helpful with name recognition (i.e. wearing a school T-shirt to a drinks party to get a conversation going). However, I feel Wharton would connect you with a greater range of international network. I have not attended the program, and not a Wharton alum, but my understanding is that a meaningful number of governments and stat-sponsored applicants end up there.

Wharton should have a slightly better placement with MBB but Yale has been catching up. You can also reach out to aerien via PM. I think you two have a lot in common and worth a chat about your goals/experiences. Aerien attended Yale.

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 13:26
bb wrote:
Congrats on a fantastic Admit!
If you are going outside of the US, Yale or Wharton will be very helpful with name recognition (i.e. wearing a school T-shirt to a drinks party to get a conversation going). However, I feel Wharton would connect you with a greater range of international network. I have not attended the program, and not a Wharton alum, but my understanding is that a meaningful number of governments and stat-sponsored applicants end up there.

Wharton should have a slightly better position towards MBB but Yale has been catching. You can also reach out via PM. I think you two have a lot in common and worth a chat about your goals/experienced. Aerien attended Yale.

Thanks so much! Yes, have international ambitions. SOM and W both have cache abroad. Yale halo effect helps the former. But yes, trying to get more visibility into international representation (not just passports of students, but where people actually land after). Not sure W actually has an advantage in MBB due to the sheer size of the class (i.e., may be more slots, but offset by more competition). PM'ing.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 13:29
drnostrand wrote:
Makes sense, for me the STEM background was a plus (disclaimer: Studied Engineering) and I get your point about the African presence as well. Have you tried reaching out to members from the MIT Sloan Africa Business Club?

Yep - have reached out to those folks already! Not completely sold on the sense of community, but very nice crew (as are most Sloanies like yourself!)
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '17 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 15:29
I'd go Yale here. They're closing in on Wharton reputation wise and given your background I don't see any issue getting MBB from either school. More money at Yale/perception of better fit is the kicker.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 20:00
Either school will get you where you want. Both schools send high number of students to elite consulting firms. Whether you get into consulting depends entirely on your profile and ability to interview & network.

The decision really comes down to your preference for community and location. Go with your intuition here, if you don't like the people you'll spend the next two years with, it'll be two long years for you.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 21:05
WHARTON.
Both schools have a tremendous reputation.So you can't go wrong with either one.
However in the international circuits i think Wharton is a much bigger Brand.

Regards
Stone Cold

B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 08:50
Yalie here- sounds like you have a tough decision. With regard to MBB, as others posted before, both will get you there. Yes Wharton is the bigger name but internationally (and in the US with people who aren't locked in to b-school rankings) Yale definitely holds its own. So choose based on fit!
Board of Directors
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 05:58
Thanks bb for calling this out.

Wow, tough decision! And amazing $$ options -- super congrats.

Given that money is arguably less of a concern in this situation, go where you're going to see yourself fitting in for the next two years. As Wilch pointed out, if you don't like the people you're surrounded by, the next two years will be a long two years. The MBA is, for most people, a personal investment in one's self, and you want to take the most advantage of that and make the best decision for you.

In terms of career standpoint, both schools have ties with MBB consulting (and more firms as well). Based on your own initiative and background, you should have many options from moment you step on campus, if not before given the career fairs, etc put on through Consortium and Forte.
For your longer term goals, I'll say culturally SOM has great ties in impact investing, especially with the close ties to the programs at the School of Forestry. And there are alums who return to Africa if you're looking at that angle as well. Happy to connect you with some folks if you want that perspective first-hand. To your point on the alumni network, yes, SOM's is going to be smaller in size/reach than Wharton's based on sheer numbers alone -- we graduate ~300 students per year whereas Wharton graduates ~1000; add on that SOM is a younger school, and you can extrapolate from there. However, I've found SOM alumni to be very responsive and helpful both professionally and personally. You can see that once you join the SOM community, you are an SOM-er for life, not only for the 2 years you are in an MBA program. I personally valued and continue to value that lifelong community. I can't speak to Wharton's.

The cultures between Wharton and SOM are starkly different imo. I've even heard that from faculty who have taught at both institutions. I hope you were able to see that during the admitted student weekends, if you were able to attend both. Message me if you want to chat further; happy to chat or meet up if you're in the area.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Current Student
G
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 08:08
Deliberating wrote:
Hi all - very, very conflicted on this - W essentially gave me enough to cover 85% of tuition & fees and I received full rides from SOM, CBS, and Sloan.

Background: IB turned impact investing fund of funds. On the younger side (<25). ST goal: MBB consulting (want more strategy/operations exposure). LT goal: Returning to impact investing (direct investing, not fund of funds) or moving towards entrepreneurship (fintech), with a focus on Sub-Saharan Africa (familial connection + frontier market).

Less keen on Sloan due to the culture. Graduated from Columbia undergrad so not sure if it makes sense from a network perspective.

I think it comes down to W or SOM, but let me know if you think otherwise!

W would be a ranking play and they have a well funded/run social impact initiative. Not crazy about the class size and heard professors could be better. However, would also have the option to apply for the HKS dual degree. Attended admit wknd - current students seem to be very engaged. Named an endowed Fellow.

SOM's ethos is in better alignment with my interests, but alumni network is less expansive / diversified. Also let's be honest, New Haven. However, have loved all the interactions I have had with students, faculty, administration. Just good people. Also named Consortium + Forte Fellow.

Overall, not an easy decision! Please vote and kindly let me know if you have any more pros/cons - trying to wrap this up by this weekend! Thank you!!

Wow- congrats! Very jealous of your predicament. What would be the $ difference between SOM and W? I think SOM aligns better with your goals, but I was impressed with both schools when I visited. Realistically, you can't go wrong either way. Also, would you mind sharing your background/stats?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 08:11
aerien wrote:

In terms of career standpoint, both schools have ties with MBB consulting (and more firms as well). Based on your own initiative and background, you should have many options from moment you step on campus, if not before given the career fairs, etc put on through Consortium and Forte.
For your longer term goals, I'll say culturally SOM has great ties in impact investing, especially with the close ties to the programs at the School of Forestry. And there are alums who return to Africa if you're looking at that angle as well. Happy to connect you with some folks if you want that perspective first-hand. To your point on the alumni network, yes, SOM's is going to be smaller in size/reach than Wharton's based on sheer numbers alone -- we graduate ~300 students per year whereas Wharton graduates ~1000; add on that SOM is a younger school, and you can extrapolate from there. However, I've found SOM alumni to be very responsive and helpful both professionally and personally. You can see that once you join the SOM community, you are an SOM-er for life, not only for the 2 years you are in an MBA program. I personally valued and continue to value that lifelong community. I can't speak to Wharton's.

The cultures between Wharton and SOM are starkly different imo. I've even heard that from faculty who have taught at both institutions. I hope you were able to see that during the admitted student weekends, if you were able to attend both. Message me if you want to chat further; happy to chat or meet up if you're in the area.

Thanks so much for your perspective!! Sent you a PM - would love to connect offline.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 09:58
Go with Wharton here, better perception particularly in business and is a no fail option. Yale SOM is a great program but not quite at Wharton's level yet

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wharton ($$), Yale SOM ($$$), CBS ($$$) or Sloan ($$$)?   [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 09:58

Wharton ($$), Yale SOM ($$$), CBS ($$$) or Sloan ($$$)?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate