It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What's the highest tier of Bizz School that i can aim for given my Unu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What's the highest tier of Bizz School that i can aim for given my Unu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 19:00
I honestly have no idea how this will hurt my chances, anyone have an idea? :
I'm 27 and not a minority. Went to a state school right out of high school and failed horribly for a few semesters, very low GPA (highest grade B+, lots of F's).
Worked in a restaurant after that , went from bus boy to manager, worked for about 7-8 years. While in the later years of work, went to community college for nine classes, then UNC - Greensboro for 18 more classes.
Those 27 classes after I went back to school were all straight A's, so technically I graduated form UNC-Greensboro with a 4.0 GPA in Economics, which is what employers see and what is on my resume. I assume that any Bizz School will want to see all transcripts from any school I went (it seems to be the case), so there is no hiding the old bad grades.
Since graduating, I've worked in a corp finance job for about a year. Have NOT taken GMAT, I'm in the early process of thinking about an MBA.
Thanks for any thoughts!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 462 [1], given: 3

Re: What's the highest tier of Bizz School that i can aim for given my Unu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. You're right in that you'll have to disclose all of your academic history, so this will be all about how you frame your story. The good news? It looks like you learned something since your first couple semesters and that you got yourself back on track. Top MBA programs will want to hear you tell them what changed. That's where a lot of prospective students need help. It's not going to be about making excuses of why your grades were bad, nor will it be about turning your weakness into a strength. It will be about crafting a compelling story around the catalyst for change and how it affected every aspect of your life.

The tier of school all depends on the rigor of your current job, career trajectory (promotions?), leadership capacity, community involvement, and of course the GMAT. Taking a step further, the specific schools you should apply to will largely depend on your goals and what you hope to get out of your MBA experience. Based on what you shared so far, I'd aim for tier 2 schools (outside the top 15) with 1-2 tier 1 stretch goals. If you'd like to chat about how to navigate your journey from here, let us know, we'd love to chat. In the meantime, feel free to take a look at some of our free resources. Best of luck!

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let us know!

Kudos [?]: 462 [1], given: 3

Re: What's the highest tier of Bizz School that i can aim for given my Unu   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2017, 08:01

What's the highest tier of Bizz School that i can aim for given my Unu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap