Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1141 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Re: Price-sensitive [#permalink]
I will go with A for clarity.

can we say that using 'it' creates ambiguity for the second 'it' in the not underlined part and also the reason of eliminating E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [0]
Send PM
sudeep wrote:
I will go with A for clarity.

can we say that using 'it' creates ambiguity for the second 'it' in the not underlined part and also the reason of eliminating E.

Your observations are point on. Do refer to the official explanation for choice (E).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Dear All,

I agree with choice (A). The official explanation is as follows:

The meaning of the original sentence is clear: If passengers are not deterred by a significant fare increase, the airline industry must be doing well. The original sentence also uses concise language ("price-sensitive passengers") to make its point. Additionally, the pronoun "it" in the original sentence clearly refers to the fact that passengers are not deterred by a significant fare increase.

(A) CORRECT. This choice is correct as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice incorrectly replaces the concise phrase "price-sensitive passengers" with the wordy alternative "passengers who are price-sensitive."

(C) In this choice, the pronoun "it" is used initially to refer to a fare increase. In the non-underlined
portion of the sentence, a second "it" is used to refer not to a fare increase, but to the fact that a fare increase does not deter price-sensitive passengers. The use of the pronoun "it" is incorrect in this answer choice as it causes the antecedent to be unclear for the second "it" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. Also, "acting as a deterrent" is unnecessarily wordy, and the use of the term "may raise" suggests that the airlines are being given permission to increase their fares.

(D) In this choice, the pronoun "it" is used initially to refer to a fare increase. In the non-underlined portion of the sentence, a second "it" is used to refer not to a fare increase, but to the fact that a fare increase does not deter price-sensitive passengers. The use of the pronoun "it" is incorrect in this answer choice as it causes the antecedent to be unclear for the second "it" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. Also, the use of the term "may raise" suggests that the airlines are being given permission to increase their fares.

(E) In this choice, the pronoun "it" is used initially to refer to a fare increase. In the non-underlined portion of the sentence, a second "it" is used to refer not to a fare increase, but to the fact that a fare increase does not deter price-sensitive passengers. The use of the pronoun "it" is incorrect in this answer choice as it causes the antecedent to be unclear for the second "it" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare [#permalink]
Here "it" is a pronoun in non underlined portion and as per my understanding it must refer back to an antecedent.

explanation says:
"it" in the original sentence clearly refers to the fact that passengers are not deterred by a significant fare increase.

I think it refers to "a significant fare increase "
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Although 'A' is the answer, this problem breaks a cardinal GMAT rule: there should be at least one difference at the beginning and the end of the underline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
In C, D and E, the two it’s have to mean the same thing, which is not the case.
The meaning of the original sentence is clear: hence A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
Send PM
can anybody tell me the difference between ''significant fare increase'' and ''fare increase significantly'' ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 1049
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Hello zhanbo

Though i understood option A is best among all. But it is really hard to see IT is referring to any singular noun here. is IT referring to price increase? if yes then price increase is an encouraging sign for the health of the airline industry does not make sense to me.

please clarify my understanding.

thanks and regards
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare [#permalink]
Kudos
kadamhari825 wrote:
Hello zhanbo

Though i understood option A is best among all. But it is really hard to see IT is referring to any singular noun here. is IT referring to price increase? if yes then price increase is an encouraging sign for the health of the airline industry does not make sense to me.

thanks and regards

After spending more than 3 minutes, I did end up choosing (A), but I think the use of "it" in the un-underlined part is rather sloppy.

We are trained to always find an appropriate antecedent for pronouns such as "it". The only possible antecedent for "it" is "a significant fare increase". While the clause "a significant fare increase is an encouraging sign for the health of the airline industry" can be defended to a certain degree, we know, as the OA states, "it" actually means "Carriers' ability to hike prices without losing customers". We could not find the proper antecedent for it, a fact that should be a very good reason to eliminate (A).

The only difference between (A) and (B) are between " price-sensitive passengers" and "passengers who are price-sensitive". (A) is shorter. Shorter is better.
In (CD), there is definitely no precedent for "it" in "it acting".
In (E), "it" in "it deterring" can refer to "a significant fare increase". But, strictly speaking, "its" should be used. because "deterring many price-sensitive passengers" is a noun / gerund.

So, in the end, I guess option (A) is the best option among five, but I would eliminate it in an actual GMAT test question.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
kadamhari825 wrote:
Hello zhanbo

thanks and regards

Hello kadamhari825,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can help resolve your doubt.

In Option A, "it" is a placeholder pronoun, a pronoun that refers to a "that/who/whether" clause; here "it" refers to the "that" clause "that airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many price-sensitive passengers".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Can someone please explain in details with some other examples the use of the pronoun "it" in the nonunderlined part. Feeling lost ... :(
Thanks in advance... :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]

Send PM
When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare [#permalink]
Kudos
nahid78 wrote:
Can someone please explain in details with some other examples the use of the pronoun "it" in the nonunderlined part. Feeling lost ... :(
Thanks in advance... :)

Do check the question from kadamhari825, and then two replies to it, one of which is from me.

I remain convinced that the "it" in the nonunderlined part is not used appropriately to the standard of GMAT test.

(This question seems to be sourced from ManhattanGMAT CAT Verbal Free Online)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
How to choose between Option A & B, both of them literally have the same meaning. So why prefer A over B?

I have seen in many other questions that the correct answer is of type B, hence I choose B.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]

Send PM
jim441 wrote:
How to choose between Option A & B, both of them literally have the same meaning. So why prefer A over B?

I have seen in many other questions that the correct answer is of type B, hence I choose B.

For essentially the same meaning, A is shorter than B. Shorter is better.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts