GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Steps to a 5 Star Recommendation

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Nov. 14, 9 AM PST. Donna Bauman, Senior MBA Admissions Counselor and Lisa Cummings, MBA Admissions Counselor at Stratus have read tens of THOUSANDS of MBA recommendations during their time on top MBA admissions committees.
  • MBA Interview Prep: How to Ace Your Interviews

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Learn the steps you need to take to ace your interviews and get accepted!

WP Carey Profile Evaluation Thread: Post Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
WP Carey Profile Evaluation Thread: Post Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 22:35

!
This thread is the master profile evaluations thread for Arizona State MBA applications only. We do not want random profile evaluation threads everywhere on the forum. This will help people get some consolidated (and free :P ) advice from consultants and help others learn as well.

Post your profile here if you want!

Suggested Template

Background and nationality
Undergrad Information
GMAT:
Work experience and leadership
Community and others
Post MBA goals
Anything else?

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: WP Carey Profile Evaluation Thread: Post Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 18:46
Background and nationality: Hello, I am Hitarth Parmar from Gujarat, India. I work as Senior Officer (Projects) on client side in laying of MBBVPL project spanning across Andhra Pradesh and Telangana in a consortium of GSPL, IOCL, BPCL and HPCL.
Undergrad Information: B.E. Electrical from L.D. College of Engineering, Ahmedabad, Batch of 2013. Passed with 7.64 CGPA.

GMAT: Q - 48, V - 39, Overall - 710, AWA - 5, IR - 8. Retaking on 20.09.2018

Work experience and leadership: 62 months, 51 months in Operations & Maintenance and 11 months in Projects.

Have comprehensive experience in Pipeline industry, having been associated with both Operations & maintenance and with Projects
Have accomplished negotiations related to design flaws in system, saving costs to the company
Have modified maintenance procedures in the company and universalised them, thereby improving system efficiency
Experience on SAP-Plant maintenance module, thereby improving vendor management

Community and others: First captain to lead my district's table tennis team into knockout stages of the school games tournament
Winner of Table Tennis national level team event during college
Represented college in Table Tennis at university level tournaments
Sponsorship committee member during techfests
Event manager during techfest for Quiz event

Post MBA goals - Short term: Projects/Operations Consulting; Long term: Strategy Consulting

Questions:
1) What are the chances of scholarship?
2) What are the prospects for someone with Oil & Gas background trying to venture into Operations/Projects consulting, especially for an international student?

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people to think they can't lose" - Bill Gates.

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: WP Carey Profile Evaluation Thread: Post Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 23:00
Hello Heisenberg12

You have a decent profile for Carey. GMAT, work ex, extracurricular all looks solid.
If you put together a decent application, you are good to go.
Make sure you touch upon all the crucial admission factors (read here) and connect it with your career goals (you may read here)

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Heisenberg12 wrote:
Background and nationality: Hello, I am Hitarth Parmar from Gujarat, India. I work as Senior Officer (Projects) on client side in laying of MBBVPL project spanning across Andhra Pradesh and Telangana in a consortium of GSPL, IOCL, BPCL and HPCL.
Undergrad Information: B.E. Electrical from L.D. College of Engineering, Ahmedabad, Batch of 2013. Passed with 7.64 CGPA.

GMAT: Q - 48, V - 39, Overall - 710, AWA - 5, IR - 8. Retaking on 20.09.2018

Work experience and leadership: 62 months, 51 months in Operations & Maintenance and 11 months in Projects.

Have comprehensive experience in Pipeline industry, having been associated with both Operations & maintenance and with Projects
Have accomplished negotiations related to design flaws in system, saving costs to the company
Have modified maintenance procedures in the company and universalised them, thereby improving system efficiency
Experience on SAP-Plant maintenance module, thereby improving vendor management

Community and others: First captain to lead my district's table tennis team into knockout stages of the school games tournament
Winner of Table Tennis national level team event during college
Represented college in Table Tennis at university level tournaments
Sponsorship committee member during techfests
Event manager during techfest for Quiz event

Post MBA goals - Short term: Projects/Operations Consulting; Long term: Strategy Consulting

Questions:
1) What are the chances of scholarship?
2) What are the prospects for someone with Oil & Gas background trying to venture into Operations/Projects consulting, especially for an international student?

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.62
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 23:10
Background and nationality : Indian
Undergrad Information : CGPA : 3.4 in Computer Science Engineering
GMAT: 680
Work experience and leadership : 5 years. Currently working on dual role as Cloud Optimization lead where managing a team of 5 associates and PMO Finance where I am managing project finance side.
Community and others : Worked in ngo for 6 months
Post MBA goals : Consultant (SCM or strategy management)
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 23:24
Hello Pushpak21

Since your GMAT is slightly on the lower side (not a deal breaker for Carey, but does not strengthen your case either) it will help further if you can tell more around the nature of your work experience- what are your key achievements, how has been your career progress etc.
Same goes for extracurricular activities too- working at an NGO for 6 months is too limited an information. What do you do here, why do you do it, what has been your contribution or impact here, what sort of NGO are we talking about. Qualitative details matter more than a list of activities. What other extracurricular are you involved in? You may want to read here on what factors matter in a profile.
Lastly, though you have touched upon your career goals briefly, not sure how these tie in with your past experience and transferable skills. If you can seamlessly link the past to your future goals and a need of an MBA only then you will be able to present a strong narrative. See if reading here helps.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Pushpak21 wrote:
Background and nationality : Indian
Undergrad Information : CGPA : 3.4 in Computer Science Engineering
GMAT: 680
Work experience and leadership : 5 years. Currently working on dual role as Cloud Optimization lead where managing a team of 5 associates and PMO Finance where I am managing project finance side.
Community and others : Worked in ngo for 6 months
Post MBA goals : Consultant (SCM or strategy management)

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.62
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 00:49
Hi MBAkarma

I have started my professional career as server architect after which I moved to Center of Excellence where I worked on Identity and Access management domain, leading me to become Subject Matter Expertise and while working as SME I presented solutions to clients which helped organization to win multiple projects of 1.2 Millions $ worth. After that I moved to work as Project Management Officer- general management (2 associates reported me) where I worked on end to end requirement of project with multiple project managers, managed, finance of 10 Millions $,also created FP&A which lead to post a 35% gross margin and created contract documents . Currently, I am working as PMO Finance where I am managing finances of 40 Million $ along with vendor management and as Cloud optimization lead where I am managing a team of 5 associates where primary goal is to proactively come up with the solution to rightsize the environment so as to reduce the cost related to unused assets and reduce the man power cost required by using automation. Till now we have successfully automated couple of processes which reduced the manpower cost by 70% and increased the gross margin by ~1.2% for the quarter.Now, I am working on a process where dynamically environments will be monitored and a rightsizing solution will be provided and after approval (only human intervention) it will implement the solution.

I have received 2 promotions and won best performer of the quarter for consecutive times.

It was an NGO which worked on causes such as education, environment, animals and community welfare. I worked on education part in which we gave Art classes to underprivileged schools. We as a team worked on establishing art classes curriculum for schools. And I arranged an "Story Telling Event" for all age groups which was part of Literary domain in one of the inter house competition for orphanage home's.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: WP Carey Profile Evaluation Thread: Post Profile Eval Requests Here &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2018, 00:49

WP Carey Profile Evaluation Thread: Post Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap