Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:02 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [2]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi JaswanthReddy,

I very well understand your dilemma and will try my best to provide you a reasonable answer. Your GMAT score of 720 hovers around the average and median class GMAT scores of the target schools you’ve mentioned. Talking about your acads, they are very slightly weak for the schools you are applying to.

Please try to understand that b-schools not only look at quantitative aspects, but for qualitative aspects too. So even when you get back later with a higher score, say 740 or 750, you’ll have to careful draft your application to make sure it stands out. You may go forward and apply in this round. I can give a more appropriate answer once I know more about you and your full story.

Your professional experience looks fine. You’ll have to make sure to showcase it such a way that it looks progressive. You must bring out instances highlighting that you’ve performed better than your peers in the past. Or you can showcase any scenario where you handled a leadership role in a very able and dexterous way.

Talking about your open-source organization, I insist more information with respect to the size, scale and diversity of the members in it. I see you’ve not mentioned your hobbies and interests as well.

Hobbies and interests bring out qualitative values in the applicants which adcoms are on lookout for. It can be as simple as cooking or complex as any obscure art.

As you are eyeing different colleges, make sure to tailor your application and essays for each school separately. Different b-schools acknowledge different qualitative values and specifically bringing them out in your profile works wonders. For instance, Yale emphasizes values such as broadmindedness, curiosity, ingenuity, etc. in its applicants.

Don’t hesitate to book an appointment for a free consultation. We can talk about your application strategy and understanding of your target schools.

Regards,
Shantanu Sharma
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

JaswanthReddy wrote:
Nationality- Indian Male
Age- 26
GMAT- 720 (V37 Q50 IR 3)
Undergraduate Information-
B.Tech in Computer Science & Engineering
GPA:7.3/10 From one of the top 7 IITs (Graduated on May 2016)

Work Experience:
Currently working as an Associate in a Global Financial Services firm (started as an analyst in 2016)
- acting as a tech lead for a group of 3-4 employees overseeing 3 different products
- working on an automation platform that reduced 300 x 8 man-hours per day
- architected a few services & products for better automation across the firm

Extracurriculars:
- Founded an open-source organization that develops the intelligent administrative tools leveraging vast experiences of system/product administrators
- active participation in multiple community works

Target schools for 2021 intake: Haas, Sloan, Yale, Booth

Post MBA goals: Short term - work as a project manager (or a technical lead) to gain some experience & Long term - build an organization that build products that increase work efficiency by utilizing developers' experiences (Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship)

Confused between option 1:- re-attempt GMAT to improve my score and apply for R3 and
option 2:- apply in R2

Please evaluate my profile and suggest whether I should retake GMAT. Also, feel free to suggest target schools based on my profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Background and nationality : I am a female Indian engineer ,graduating in 2017 from a Tier3 college in Mechanical engineering.
CGPA : 8.93
10th : 10 CGPA
12th : 92.6%

[b]GMAT : 550
[b]Work experience and leadership : Has joined one of the renowned steel industry in 2017 as a Management trainee ,from campus placement and currently looking after technical stuff at shopfloor as a Manager in Maintenance. Managing and leading a team of 70+ own employees and 150+ contractor vendor employees.
[b]Community and others: (dont understand this question)
[b]Post MBA goals: I am targetting to acquire my degree in Marketing and Sales & Strategy management .
[b]Anything else : Has been a classically trained vocalist, swimmer and Kathak dancer . Has also worked actively to promote menstrual health among yound girls as a part of CSR activity at workplace. Organised cultural event at my workplace as a part of 5 years celebration of my department.

[b]Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
197369 wrote:
Background and nationality : I am a female Indian engineer ,graduating in 2017 from a Tier3 college in Mechanical engineering.

[b]Work experience and leadership : Has joined one of the renowned steel industry in 2017 as a Management trainee ,from campus placement and currently looking after technical stuff at shopfloor as a Manager in Maintenance. Managing and leading a team of 70+ own employees and 150+ contractor vendor employees.
[b]Post MBA goals: I am targetting to acquire my degree in Marketing and Sales & Strategy management .
[b]Anything else : Has been a classically trained vocalist, swimmer and Kathak dancer . Has also worked actively to promote menstrual health among yound girls as a part of CSR activity at workplace. Organised cultural event at my workplace as a part of 5 years celebration of my department.

Hi 197369,

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations.

My name is Priyanka, Client Manager at ARINGO.

You have a very interesting profile! From what I can see:

Academics – Well, GPA is good but would also like to know about your class ranking (or percentile) and details about your college. Any certifications, etc.?

Work Experience –The work experience looks good with promotion. Also, managing people (70+ employees & 150+ contract vendor employees- WOW) shows strong leadership skills. You need to make an impactful resume quantifying the results, leadership skills, roles, and responsibilities, etc. Any international experience/global clients?

Community & Others (extracurricular) – Community means if you have any community work experience (or NGO experience). I love your extracurricular activities and curious to know if you have won any awards or represented anywhere. Also, I would like to know the extent of involvement in the NGO activity and if it is an ongoing thing. Again a good talking point but would really want to know more details about it.

Your career goals - Your career goals look fine but again we will be able to give more insights once you share your CV.

All in all sounds like you have a good profile! If you send me your CV once you have taken the exam (as 550 is just not enough) on PRIYANKAK@ARINGO.com, I would love to connect you with our CEO who will be happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps.

All the best. :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi 197369,

Thank you for sharing your profile. Your undergraduate stats are good, but the pain point in your profile is your low GMAT score. Because 550 seems very low for Yale and I think for any good b-school. You are from an over-represented pool (Indian Engineers) of applicants, so you must have a competitive GMAT score.

About your work experience, I can see a fast career trajectory from MT to Manager, and it reflects your ability and capacity to succeed in your positions. Your profile already has proof of leading teams and I would encourage you to bring leadership experiences from and beyond work where you with your team have had huge impacts and contribution to the organization.

Your ECs are interesting, it shows you a person who is passionate and eager to learn new things and a vibrant personality. You should express it in your essays about how these hobbies have impacted you and shaped your life and vision. Your participation in promoting menstrual health is what we term community involvement (which means one’s involvement and commitment to a cause that has created an impact on the community) and this work, apart from one's career, leads one to stand out among the pool of applicants. It plays a major role in your apps.

As your post-MBA goal is marketing and management you can also look for Rotman and Schulich, as they align with your post-MBA goals and top schools in Canada do accept low GMAT scores.

Overall, your profile is fine but less impactful. I would like to know more about your story and goals in-depth and give you a more comprehensive assessment of your chances to Yale and gauge your fit for other b-schools as well!

If you’d like we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week and discuss your profile in length and further chances. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials

197369 wrote:

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
197369 wrote:

Hey 197369!

I would like to start off by saying that you have a pretty decent profile.

To commence your profile evaluation, I would say that your academic background is quite strong. Your GPA of 8.93 not only displays your academic prowess but also opens a lot of opportunities and doors to top business schools for you.

On the flip side, your GMAT score does fall on the lower end and as you wish to target a top-notch school such as Yale, you’d require at least 730+ in your GMAT score to match the class average. Hence, I’d suggest you go for a retake and boost your scores.

Moving on to your work experience, you have 3 years of relevant work experience which when contrasted with the average work experience of your competitor pool does fall on the shorter end. However, you can negate that shortfall by highlighting the quality of work experience by talking about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created and your career progression with major learning takeaways.

Further on the note of extracurricular, top tier schools such as Yale tend to favour candidates with a well-rounded and holistically developed profile. Hence, accounting for the same, your active involvement in the CSR initiatives of your company highlights your socially empathetic attitude and your potential to create a positive impact on society, while your experience with organizing cultural events at your office displays your management and initiative-taking skills. Moreover, being trained in classical dance and music highlight the artistic aspect of your personality. All in all, I would say that you have a pretty well-rounded profile. However, you can further build upon the same by taking up some certifications in the field you wish to pursue a career in as it will portray your drive to constantly upskill yourself.

Given your school choice, Yale is a dream school with an acceptance of a mere 23%. Hence your chances of acceptance into Yale’s MBA program are anywhere between 40-50%. However, while applying to top B-schools across the world, it is never a good idea to put all of your eggs in one basket and you should hedge your bets wisely and apply to a good mix of 6-8 schools to maximize your chances of earning an admit. Hence, based on your profile you can also target schools such as Duke, Michigan, Berkeley, NYU, USC Marshall and McCombs etc.

Another aspect that you should be acquainted with while applying to B-schools is the importance of a strong application. Since you wish to apply to a highly competitive school such as Yale, you’d be facing competition from a highly saturated and holistically developed competitor pool. Hence, a strong application would not only allow you to highlight your strength but also boost your chances of acceptance by 3x.

Therefore, in lieu of that, I would recommend you to check out our flagship ALL-IN-ONE service, which has allowed us to help 3500+ applicants to get into their dream schools. As you are still in the early process of your application, it would provide you with end-to-end consulting and unlimited edits on your application documents. With our customized approach and carefully crafted applications, we have helped our clients bag scholarships worth 3.3 million Euros and we’d love for you to be next!

Link for the All-In-One Solution:

https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one

Hope this helped!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Female Indian

GMAT - 740
College - IIIT Allahabad (B.Tech) + IIIT Allahabad (M.Tech)
CGPA - 7.3
Companies - 1.5 Years (GE Power) + 1.5 Years (Amazon)
Current Student
Send PM
Hey,

Can you please take a look at the below details and tell me if I will be eligible for admission into any of the Ivy league colleges for MBA in Marketing?

Demographics : Female Indian

Education:
College - IIIT Allahabad (B.Tech) + IIIT Allahabad (M.Tech) (Tier-1 college in India) + CGPA - 7.3 + Completed Thesis in NLP
Senior Secondary Examination - Physics+Maths+Chemistry+English+Psychology - 96%

GMAT - 740 (Quant - 50 + Verbal - 40)

Work experience
I worked with developers based in USA and Europe in both the companies.

Extracurricular activities: Almost non existent

Post-MBA goals: Want to work for Marketing in Travel/Hospitality Industry

Target schools: Ivy League Colleges for MBA
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
ss085 wrote:
Hey,

Can you please take a look at the below details and tell me if I will be eligible for admission into any of the Ivy league colleges for MBA in Marketing?

Education:
College - IIIT Allahabad (B.Tech) + IIIT Allahabad (M.Tech) (Tier-1 college in India) + CGPA - 7.3 + Completed Thesis in NLP

Work experience

Just wondering how you pinned down your career goals and the industry, given that you seem to have no experience in marketing and travel/hospitality industry. Also, IMO, if you wish to shift to these industries/ function, you can do that now, without an MBA.

Lastly, a complete lack of ECAs is likely to keep you out of the top 10 MBA programs. I am not going to use the word Ivy League, as I am not sure whether you are referring to the Ivy League programs or are using it as a general term for the top MBA programs. Do read up a little on this.
Current Student
Send PM
You don't need to have experience in Marketing to know that you are interested in it. :)
Thanks for your input though.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ss085,

Your profile looks good on the surface. You have good stats with reputable undergrad and with a 740 score, you can make your case real strong. Talking about your work experience, you haven't given enough specifics, so it's difficult for me to comment. You will need to demonstrate the roles and responsibilities you have undertaken in the specific organization, as well as your contribution for its growth and development. Talk about your experience while working with international companies as this will give your profile a global perspective. Moving ahead, your ECs are missing. ECs play a very important role in your apps, revealing your diverse personality, and adcoms get to know the various aspects of your personality. You can talk about any hobby you pursue or what you like to do in your free time apart from your work. I'm sure there's going to be something and do speak about it in your apps. Think of something you love to do and talk about it because that's going to make your applications interesting. Your post-MBA goals are clear, you will need to speak about your interest in marketing and make sure you list down the gaps that you have identified in your profile that you think an MBA from a particular b-school you are applying to will help you fill in order to achieve your post-MBA goals.

If you’re looking for other European b-schools such as INSEAD feel free to look into this session. It's on 20th March and it's a personalised session, to help you assess your chances.

I would like to know some major aspects of your work experience to guide you better and gauge your fit for the b-school. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and your further chances to b-schools. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

What it takes you to get into INSEAD

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials

ss085 wrote:
Hey,

Education:

Work experience

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [3]
Given Kudos: 73
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Name/username: texas101
Country/Location : USA (Texas)
Under-Graduate School : Unwilling to Share
Under-Graduate GPA: 3.5ish
GMAT/GRE Test scores: 760
Total Work Experience : 6 years
Pre-MBA Industry : Oil/Gas
Target industry post-MBA: Consulting or Energy LDP
Brief about Work Experience : Varied work experience, from supply chain and operations to business development and sales
What is your relation to the Recommenders?(Manager. client etc): 2 previous managers. I had a new manager right as I was applying and so did not use my "current manager"
Volunteering/Extra-curriculars: Extensive leadership positions in undergraduate including student body pres etc
International Experience : mostly personal and business travel. never lived in another country
Scholarship Given? : 40k
The motivation for MBA and why Now brief? : energy industry is evolving, my undergrad wasn't in business, and I need business skills to be successful in becoming a leader in the energy industry
Why Yale SOM?: Energy focus, personal ties to the area
Short-Term Goal : consulting
Long-Term Goal : leading a large energy company
Any comments, feelings, advice to share?: feel free to PM me on GMAT club if you have questions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hey, There!
Background and nationality
My name is Vinay, and I'm from Bangalore, India. I would be applying for my MBA request some input on my selection of universities. I've added the details of my profile as briefly as I could. My shortlist of colleges is given at the bottom of the comment. I'm also wondering if I should apply to universities, some advice from you.

GRE
- 330 (V-157; Q-170; AWA- 3)

Undergraduate

Completed my Bachelors of Business Administration from Alliance University, Bangalore in Finance with an aggregate of 81.5% ( First Class with Distinction) Top 5% of the class. With a GPA of 3.3/4.

Work Experience
Four of Years work-ex, with the deep domain of equity research and valuation.
-Equity Research Analyst at Sarthak Returns ( June 5th, 2017 – Date ) – Sarthak Returns a Stock Market Advisory Company based in Bangalore. Responsibilities here include
- Technical Analysis, Fundamental Analysis, Equity Research, Proprietary trading, Handling client's accounts, Blog writing.Was Handling a team of 3 people directly reporting.
- I had three promotions in the last four years
- I Handle four people, teams, where they report to me directly.
- I handle and manage clients directly.

Certifications

NSE Academy's Certified Investment Analyst Champion (NCIAC) & NCMP Level 3
NISM-Series-VIII: Equity Derivatives Certification Examination
NISM-Series-X-A: Investment Adviser (Level 1) Certification Examination
NISM-Series-X-B: Investment Adviser (Level 2) Certification Examination
NISM Series-XV: Research Analyst Certification Examination

Extra-Curricular Activities:

• Volunteer with Youth for Seva ( July 1st, 2016 – September 30th, 2016 ), a Non-Governmental Organisation. The work involved teaching Spoken English and Basic Computer Skills to Primary and Middle School children. This continues till date in a Part-time effect, with overall service time over **Five Hundred Hours**.
• Organised “Mock Stock,” a stock market simulator, in an inter-college event.
•Co-Founded a start-up in the college days - Started with the platform-based company for travel (Air and Bus) with Hotel booking. What improved it based on blind spots; I started renting out textbooks. That rented out students' old books and paid them a share of the earnings, thereby enabling students to make money off books they do not need.
•Co-Founded a niche-based stock research firm meanwhile I was working as an equity research analyst. The firm employs 15 people directly reporting. The firm name is Valuenomics Research
• Have pursued Young Leadership program from Indian Institute of Management Bangalore; the program was for the one-year duration with blend learning from both online and offline.

Post MBA goals
Short Term
Work for Asset Management Company

Long Term
Become Fund Manager in Asset Management Company

Hobbies
I am reading Books, Playing badminton, Networking with people who aren't like me at all.

Please evaluate my profile; I'd love to hear your thoughts about my profile?

**UNIVERSITY SHORTLIST**

**Ambitious**
- NYU – MBA
- Cornell -MBA
- Yale- MBA
- Duke -MBA
- ISB - MBA

**Conservative**
- Simon -MBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi all,

Here is my profile

Nationality: Indian
Undergrads: B.E Civil Engineering from university in India, 2.4 GPA
Masters: Computers and Information system from American University 3.1 GPA
Work Ex: 4 years experience as ITSM consultant including 3 years of international experience. Expert in automating workflows using different technologies.
Currently working as Team Lead at Guardian Life Insurance.
GRE: 326
Goal: To get into the startups and Private equity
Reco Letters: Can arrange letters from my Director and managers in the US.

Let me know if I can provide any other information
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: ISB '23 (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q167 V150
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Profile Evaluation for MBA 2022 Intake-
GMAT: 760
Duolingo: 145
Undergrad: 9.7 CGPA in Bachelor of Commerce.
University: Lovely Professional University, Punjab
12th Grade: 92%
Work Experience: 2.5 yrs as Finance Associate in Largest Infrastructure Company of India- Promoted Twice in the period currently leading a team and managing finance of Two National Projects in India under the direct control of PM Office.
3 MOnths as a Process analyst intern in Telecom Company.
EC's - Hosted many events in Undergrad, District level Hockey Player won prizes in Undergrad, Been a part of Charitable organization for the past 5 years.
Certifications: CFA Level 1, CPMP and Online MOOC's over Analytics and Data Science.
My concern is the reputation of my undergrad university.
Hope for the Comments.
Also, Please let me know if pursuing MBA in India or in Abroad is correct for my profile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 760 Q52 V41
Send PM