GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 07:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

760 GMAT (First Attempt)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge
760 GMAT (First Attempt) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 19:21
I took the GMAT today. I had been studying since September using a combination of a Magoosh subscription and the in-person Veritas course.

For Magoosh, I watched all of their excellent lesson videos as a supplement to the Veritas class and materials and relied on Magoosh for the majority of my problems (did almost 500 of them). Since I know people are curious how practice tests relate to the real score, here are the 4 Veritas online practice tests I took:

Nov 19: 650/76th Q: 41/45th V: 39/89th (did not take AWA/IR)
Nov 27: 660/79th Q: 42/47th V: 39/89th (did not take AWA/IR)
Jan 2: 680/84th Q: 45/59th V: 39/89th IR: 6 (did not write AWA)
Feb 5: 710/91st Q: 47/65th V: 40/91st IR: 5 (wrote AWA)

Feb 18: Real GMAT
760/99th Q: 47/65th V: 47/99th IR: 8 AWA: TBD

Turned out Veritas predicted the Q score perfectly but well underestimated the V and IR.

I actually found the test surprisingly easy, as strange as that is to say. I even said as much to the woman at the desk and she said she had never heard anyone say that before. I expected to struggle on more questions based on my Veritas practice experience and thought the IR was a breeze compared to the really tough IR I had seen on the Veritas. I was actually getting a bit nervous during the test that I was only getting the easier bank of questions.

Very happy with my score. :-D
Magoosh Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
B
Re: 760 GMAT (First Attempt) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 13:07
Can you talk a little bit about your study patterns? Around how many hours a week were you studying and what was the split between weekend/weekdays?

Also does cramming work? Some of my buddies are able to study for 6 hours at a time. I personally think that is insane, and the most I can do straight is 2 hours at a time.

How was anxiety for test day and sleep the night before?

Last question:

How did you treat yourself after the big score (if you did at all) ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 16:28
Keepushinalmosthere wrote:
Can you talk a little bit about your study patterns? Around how many hours a week were you studying and what was the split between weekend/weekdays?

Also does cramming work? Some of my buddies are able to study for 6 hours at a time. I personally think that is insane, and the most I can do straight is 2 hours at a time.

It really varied depending on my workload at work. The Veritas course was 3 hours 2x a week for 6 weeks. I studied when I could during the weekdays otherwise but I probably averaged under 5 hours/week during the weekdays with another 6 hours or so on the weekend, usually broken up into chunks. I've found that for me, it is easier to do an hour or two of studying, take a break for a few hours, then get back into it. I also would keep myself fresh by switching between Q and V. For example, I might do an hour of geometry problems, then dive into an hour of verbal.

Quite a bit of my study time was spent watching the Magoosh videos, however, and reading the skillbuilders and lessons in the Veritas course books. I also download the Magoosh GMAT Flashcards App on my phone and would look through them when I had a few minutes to kill, such as between meetings at work or while on the subway.

Quote:
How was anxiety for test day and sleep the night before?

No issues for me. I'm actually a First Lieutenant in the Marine Corps Reserves so that might have something to do with my generally calm composure before and through the test. I will admit though that on the last 3 or 4 Verbal questions, knowing that my test score was coming, the anxiety suddenly hit me like a brick wall. I had the noise-cancellation headphones on, so I could hear my heart rapidly beating and I had to re-read the questions several times before I comprehended what they were saying. Fortunately, I had plenty of time left on the section so I could afford my lapse into anxiety.

Funnily enough, the last answer submission does not immediately generate your score. I had several pages of demographic information to fill out so my score kind of sneaked up on me in the end.

Quote:
Last question:
How did you treat yourself after the big score (if you did at all) ?

I didn't do anything. Sorry for not being exciting!
Manager
Manager
G
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 17:10
Woow!!
Congratulations you did a really good job :D
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 22:25
Thanks for the detailed response!

The anxiety hitting you like a brick wall phenomenon is one I can relate to 100%. In past situations, the first 10-15 minutes are when my adrenaline spikes. I can barely concentrate and have to read and re-read multiple times to understand basic questions. After it wears off tho, I'm good, but I totally understand where you are coming from.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
760 GMAT (First Attempt) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 23:17
Nice job. Surprising your verbal score in practice was so far below the actual
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 06:54
That's great I think. My 1st attempt was such a failure. And I had to write custom essay so I was a little distructed
Re: 760 GMAT (First Attempt)   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2017, 06:54

760 GMAT (First Attempt)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap