GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups eve

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups eve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 May 2018, 01:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:04) correct 25% (01:02) wrong based on 627 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups every three weeks if she chooses to breed at maximum speed, but they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess.

A. they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess

B. voles begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles

C. the suppression of pup production begins by them from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess

D. the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles is when suppression of pup production begins

E. the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess is when they begin suppressing pup production

Originally posted by swat on 02 Oct 2009, 07:37.
Last edited by Bunuel on 13 May 2018, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups eve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2009, 07:44
Will go with B

A/ they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess. No proper referrent for they.
B/ voles begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles
C/ the suppression of pup production begins by them from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess
D/ the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles is when suppression of pup production begins
E/ the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess is when they begin suppressing pup production
They can refer to the nearby voles meaning nearby voles begin suppressing pup production
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Premium Member
Re: A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups eve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2010, 21:37
I think that "they" and "them" can only grammatically refer to pups, but this would be illogical. That leaves us with choice B.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2010, 12:17
A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups every three weeks if she chooses to breed at maximum speed, but they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become concious of nearby voles in excess.

A/ they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess
They - no clear antecedent... INCORRECT

B/ voles begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles
Correct - They now has a clear & a valid antecedent

C/ the suppression of pup production begins by them from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess
them - again lost in wonderland.... :) No antecedent.

D/ the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles is when suppression of pup production begins
They - no clear antecedent... INCORRECT

E/ the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess is when they begin suppressing pup production
they has a valid antecedent here but moment and when is redundant... INCORRECT

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2010, 12:31
IMO - B

Why B ?
1. The prnoun has antecedent
2. I belive the sentence has a structure of X but Y

A/ they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess
No antecedent for "they". Singular subject "female meadow"
CORRECT
No antecedent for "them".
No antecedent for "they".
No antecedent for "they". The subject of second part of statement is The moment voles. Hence "they" does not have clear antecedent.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2014, 14:50
ms wrote:
IMO - B

Why B ?
1. The prnoun has antecedent
2. I belive the sentence has a structure of X but Y

No antecedent for "they". Singular subject "female meadow"
CORRECT
No antecedent for "them".
No antecedent for "they".
No antecedent for "they". The subject of second part of statement is The moment voles. Hence "they" does not have clear antecedent.

But in B, that 'they' does it refer to voles or to pups, for me it isn't as clear as to which antecedent it is referring.
Would anybody dare to elaborate on this one?

Thanks!
Cheers
J
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 10:12
A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups every three weeks if she chooses to breed at maximum speed, but they begin puppressing pup production from the moment they become concious of nearby voles in excess.

B/ voles begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles....CORRECT
C/ the suppression of pup productionbegins by themfrom the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess
D/ the moment theybecome conscious of an excess of nearby voles is when suppression of pup production begins
E/ the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excessis when they begin suppressing pup production
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 23:33
swat wrote:
A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups every three weeks if she chooses to breed at maximum speed, but they begin puppressing pup production from the moment they become concious of nearby voles in excess.

The first thing to look for is the subject verb agreement.
"A female vole" is singular, hence we cannot use "they"
Eliminate Options A, C and D

Out of B and E, Option E is unnecessarily wordy and awkward.
We do not need both "the moment" and "when"

Correct Option: B
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 02:47
narrowed down to B and E.

excess of nearby voles....seems wrong

excess of money, excess of energy, excess of enthusiasm... correct.
something seems wrong above.

someone please explain how excess of nearby voles is correct.
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 11:43
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
narrowed down to B and E.

excess of nearby voles....seems wrong

excess of money, excess of energy, excess of enthusiasm... correct.
something seems wrong above.

someone please explain how excess of nearby voles is correct.

Read it as
    excess of nearby voles...
nearby is an adjective which modifies voles
Also, looks like excess can be used with both countable (voles) and uncountable nouns (money, energy, enthusiasm)

Thanks

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 12:40
A) they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess
CORRECT CHOICE. Its not necessary that the antecedent should come before the noun(Read about that in this awesome article here). Here "they" refers to "voles". and "voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess". Sounds good.

B) voles begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles
"they" refers to "voles". Sentence looks ok but the last part is incorrect. "they become conscious of an excess". This is a bit awkward. The last in A is much clearer. INCORRECT

C) the suppression of pup production begins by them from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess
The sentence is in passive voice. But we have a better option in A which is ACTIVE. Hence ELIMINATE

D) the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles is when suppression of pup production begins
Same as B -"they become conscious of an excess". INCORRECT

E) the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess is when they begin suppressing pup production
Changes the entire meaning of the sentence with the subject "the moment". The moment is when they start suppressing pup production. INCORRECT

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 21:49
Hello Experts GMATNinja, Vyshak

Can you confirm whats the OA here? I have shared my reasoning in this thread and I believe A should be the answer and not B

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 23:10
A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups every three weeks if she chooses to breed at maximum speed, but they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become concious of nearby voles in excess.

A/ they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess - Incorrect. Here 'they' does not have a proper antecedent. 'Female meadow vole' is singular.

B/ voles begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles - Correct.

C/ the suppression of pup production begins by them from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess - Same as A. Pronoun error is repeated.

D/ the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles is when suppression of pup production begins - Same as A

E/ the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess is when they begin suppressing pup production - Passive construction. A appears to be better.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 10:09
hi guys

why is a passive contruction wrong? and how do i identify it? as if dont seem to understand why E is passive construction?
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 07:47
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Experts GMATNinja, Vyshak

Can you confirm whats the OA here? I have shared my reasoning in this thread and I believe A should be the answer and not B

Hi OA is B

It is the correct answer as pointed in many threads .
The basic difference between A and B is the use of pronoun "They".As it refers to pubs. It can not refer to meadow vole as it is singular .
So it has to refer to pups .
Now pups are not suppressing production and it is not the intended meaning of the sentence .
B is more direct and removes pronoun ambiguity also the phrase "nearby voles in excess" is not proper it is used correctly in B "excess of nearby voles"
Think about what A is saying .It says that the voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess , meaning excess conscious .Now this is absurd.

Hope it helps

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 07:54
MikeHelios wrote:
hi guys

why is a passive contruction wrong? and how do i identify it? as if dont seem to understand why E is passive construction?

Hi
Here is choice E

the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess is when they begin suppressing pup production

E is wrong for meaning error.
the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess this part of sentence is not correct because of the meaning error it is saying that voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess. Ideally they would become conscious of the excess in the nearby voles population.

This is not passive construction .
Passive construction would be The suppression of the production is done by Voles when they become conscious of excess in nearby voles .

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 14:03
MikeHelios wrote:
hi guys

after practicing, you soon understand why passive is almost always wrong, at lest on gmat.
The official test guides, and many gmat questions prove that passive sentences are longer, less concise, awkward, and have mood, or meaning changed.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 09:50
swat wrote:
A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups every three weeks if she chooses to breed at maximum speed, but they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess.

A. they begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess

B. voles begin suppressing pup production from the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles

C. the suppression of pup production begins by them from the moment they become conscious of nearby voles in excess

D. the moment they become conscious of an excess of nearby voles is when suppression of pup production begins

E. the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess is when they begin suppressing pup production

Classic Subject-verb agreement error.
In the original sentence, the subject vole is singular, however, the underlined part uses plural verb with it. This is the big error.

Option B corrects this error by introducing plural subject and using a plural verb to create subject-verb agreement.

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people to think they can't lose" - Bill Gates.

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 12:44
Hi mikemcgarry, can you please explain why E is incorrect? From all the posts, I read above, I could not see a clear convincing explanation that its incorrect besides that its awkward and that the meaning sounds off.

Migatte no Gokui

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 01:04
oasis90 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry, can you please explain why E is incorrect? From all the posts, I read above, I could not see a clear convincing explanation that its incorrect besides that its awkward and that the meaning sounds off.

In option E - the moment voles become conscious of nearby voles in excess is when they begin suppressing pup production

"they can refer to any of the two "voles" that is present earlier in the sentence. Hence it leads to confusion as to which voles begin suppressing the pup production - whether it is the voles that become conscious or the voles that are present nearby.

So, we can rule out this option because of this pronoun-antecedent ambiguity.
Re: A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups eve &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jun 2018, 01:04

A female meadow vole can produce a fresh litter of about five pups eve

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap