It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 17:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Acceptance Rate Trends

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Schools: HBS '20, Kellogg '20
Acceptance Rate Trends [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 08:18
Im curious about what's pushing the acceptance rate lower at yale since the alumni base is rather young and there hasn't been anything particularly special in the new? any ideas

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 66 [1], given: 35

Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Acceptance Rate Trends [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
My opinion...which is pure speculation...is that Yale is a top 10 program with a strong undergrad brand name...this leads to a lot of people applying without actually getting to know the program.

Kudos [?]: 66 [1], given: 35

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.42
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 08:22
arcticTO wrote:
Im curious about what's pushing the acceptance rate lower at yale since the alumni base is rather young and there hasn't been anything particularly special in the new? any ideas

Are acceptance rates going down? Over what period?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 08:25
Compared to last 2-3 years. I spoke to a few alumni that told me about how difficult it was to find jobs after SOM. They also mentioned that their young alumni base made it hard to get help

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 12:08
Is it possible that people are just slow to update the live tracker if it is positive news? That could skew the numbers one way. I am curious to see what it looks like at the end of December.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 10:34
arcticTO wrote:
Compared to last 2-3 years. I spoke to a few alumni that told me about how difficult it was to find jobs after SOM. They also mentioned that their young alumni base made it hard to get help

Yale has traditionally placed well in banking due to its proximity to New York, so perhaps the continued improvements in consulting placement is among the key drivers. About a quarter to a third of the interns at McKinsey San Francisco, one of the most coveted & competitive offices, were from Yale SOM.

While tech recruiting is nascent at Yale, it's starting to improve right in front of my eyes. For example, while we are a target school at Apple, they typically only hire SOMers into the global supply chain role & they didn't visit our campus. This year, Apple has expanded the range of roles they're hiring to 5-6 & came to SOM for interviews. Moreover, as far as I know, people had to actually write cover letters and apply with their resume to be considered last year - many of my classmates who are interviewing this year didn't even apply. They were contacted because Apple combed through our resume database and liked what they saw.

I think you might have a point about the alumni support and infrastructure, but that's definitely changing at the moment.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 12:24
Wilch wrote:
arcticTO wrote:

Yale has traditionally placed well in banking due to its proximity to New York, so perhaps the continued improvements in consulting placement is among the key drivers. About a quarter to a third of the interns at McKinsey San Francisco, one of the most coveted & competitive offices, were from Yale SOM.

While tech recruiting is nascent at Yale, it's starting to improve right in front of my eyes. For example, while we are a target school at Apple, they typically only hire SOMers into the global supply chain role & they didn't visit our campus. This year, Apple has expanded the range of roles they're hiring to 5-6 & came to SOM for interviews. Moreover, as far as I know, people had to actually write cover letters and apply with their resume to be considered last year - many of my classmates who are interviewing this year didn't even apply. They were contacted because Apple combed through our resume database and liked what they saw.

I think you might have a point about the alumni support and infrastructure, but that's definitely changing at the moment.

Thanks Wilch! How are you finding the career support at SOM? Anecdotally I've heard from some international students that given the US climate this year it was rather difficult to get internships this past summer

Current Student
B

Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 17:18
arcticTO wrote:
Thanks Wilch! How are you finding the career support at SOM? Anecdotally I've heard from some international students that given the US climate this year it was rather difficult to get internships this past summer

The career support is strong with consulting, banking, and select tech firms. Tech can definitely be improved, and it's improving. Always hard to do when the school is on the east coast, doesn't have a massive class, and doesn't have strong CS/engineering undergrad & graduate programs.

On the massive class point - better ROI for recruiters, come once and sweep up 7-8 hires from a pool of 100-200 interested applicants from a massive school like Wharton or Columbia rather than going to a small school like Yale and maybe pick up 1-2 hires instead.

On the CS/engineering tidbit, firms can simply have 1-2 MBA recruiters tag along to CMU and MIT when they go there to hire software engineers & developers.

With that said, Yale SOM is definitely investing resources into the career development office and we're seeing improvements already.

International students from all schools are facing an uphill battle this year because of the "climate".

Re: Acceptance Rate Trends   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2017, 17:18

Acceptance Rate Trends

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap