It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs were probably no

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs were probably no [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 22:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (01:00) correct 73% (01:08) wrong based on 120 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs were probably not borne of a desire to seek comfort after death but was more likely to begin as a way to explain the mysterious phenomenon of the natural world.
A. was more likely to begin as a way
B. were more likely a way
C. began most likely as a way
D. were more likely to have begun as a way
E. began, more than likely, as a way

Source: McGraw Hill GMAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 530 Q33 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs were probably no [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 00:57
Can verbal expert explain why D is wrong? Also, please explain why B is better than the other choices?

Jat

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs were probably no [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 03:59
daagh

Sir can you explain what is wrong with option D?
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs were probably no [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 05:42
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Here is a wrong comparison between an 'extant' or linking verb 'were' with an action verb 'began' in C and E. In the same vein, "were to have begun, in D and 'likely to begin' in A also denote an attempted action. In addition, A has the subject verb problem. All the four are out.
B is the reminder and we are force to select it more by chance than by choice. Because B as I see has a parallelism issue in not sticking to the tenets of correlative parallelism. "Not… but" is a correlative conjunction and whatever part of speech appears after 'not' must also appear after 'but'. In B what appears after "not" is a participial adjective phrase while what appears after 'but' is a full - fledged clause. IMO, the correct B would have been:
According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs probably were not borne of a desire to seek comfort after death but drawn more likely by a way to explain the mysterious phenomenon of the natural world.
The OE should be able to clear the haze.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Last edited by daagh on 29 Mar 2017, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 07:34
Expert's post
Top Contributor
My usual disclaimer applies here: this is an unofficial question, so it's inevitably imperfect (at the very least, "phenomenon" should be plural!), and I'd caution against overanalyzing it. Spoiler alert: the same is true of the questions that I write. :)

In this case, the parallelism and subject-verb agreement lead us to eliminate everything besides (B) and (D), as daagh and others have explained.

But what's wrong with (D)? Well, I'm not sure that it's grammatically wrong, exactly -- it's just that there's no good reason to include the phase "to have begun." The meaning of the sentence is clearer without that phrase, so (B) wins.

To be fair, you could argue that the author is trying to emphasize the origins of the beliefs, and that argument would support (B). But again, I wouldn't read too much into this: an "official" version of the question wouldn't leave much reasonable space for argument.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

Re: According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs were probably no   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2017, 07:34

According to anthropologists, early religious beliefs were probably no

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap