It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 21:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After the new CEO took over the position, an automobile comp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
After the new CEO took over the position, an automobile comp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2014, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:14) correct 53% (01:25) wrong based on 459 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hi,

Can someone please help me with this question. Though it's 500 level question, i am little confused here.

After the new CEO took over the position, an automobile company’s car’s seat covers were changed to only silver and gold colours. Previously, the seats were displayed only in their heritage white seat covers. An acclaimed automobile journalist mentioned that the changes made by the automobile company are relevant again. However, many car magazine editorials, automobile journalist’s opponents, did not agree and pointed out that the new CEO is more interested in boosting sales than in maintaining car’s heritage feature.

Which of the following is an assumption that has to be made for the argument made by the acclaimed automobile journalist’s opponents?

a. The shiny lustre of silver and gold coloured seat covers often attracts public attention and motivates them to buy new cars.

b. Final say in choosing the seat cover colours for the cars lies with the CEO.

c. An automobile company can boost sales while highlighting the seat covers of grey and crimson colours.

d. The silver and gold coloured seat covers are featured in the new international automobile expo.

e. Automobile company’s cars with silver and gold coloured seat covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with cars with heritage white seat covers.

Source: GMAT Club test

Thanks in advance.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 29

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9483 [0], given: 1202

Re: After the new CEO took over the position, an automobile comp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2014, 21:34
This is what I called: armor assumption

If you demonstrate that something no matter how or what or agree or not the situation is a matter of fact: you have reached your goal.

B just says this.

The other option are out of scope or irrelevant

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9483 [0], given: 1202

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 10:44
After the new CEO took over the position, an automobile company’s car’s seat covers were changed to only silver and gold colours. Previously, the seats were displayed only in their heritage white seat covers. An acclaimed automobile journalist mentioned that the changes made by the automobile company are relevant again. However, many car magazine editorials, automobile journalist’s opponents, did not agree and pointed out that the new CEO is more interested in boosting sales than in maintaining car’s heritage feature.

Which of the following is an assumption that has to be made for the argument made by the acclaimed automobile journalist’s opponents?

a. The shiny lustre of silver and gold coloured seat covers often attracts public attention and motivates them to buy new cars......IT MAY NOT BE THE SHINY LUSTRE BUT JUST THE COLOR COMBINATION..... RATHER - "CHANGING COLOR TO SILVER AND GOLD COLORS BOOSTS SALES"...COULD HAVE BEEN AN ASSUMPTION.... .

b. Final say in choosing the seat cover colours for the cars lies with the CEO.....CORRECT............SINCE CEO IS PRESUMABLY INTERESTED IN BOOSTING SALES .. THERE FORE THE COLOR DECISION IS HIS...

c. An automobile company can boost sales while highlighting the seat covers of grey and crimson colours.....NEW COLORS ... NOT MENTIONED EARLIER....

d. The silver and gold coloured seat covers are featured in the new international automobile expo.WHO SAID THAT...IN ANY CASE TRRELEVANT

e. Automobile company’s cars with silver and gold coloured seat covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with cars with heritage white seat covers.

INNFRUCTUOUS INFORMATION...

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 04:31
Well I got it right, but it isnt a 500-level question AT ALL. The main trick here is that A,B and E seem to be good contenders for the answer, but A and E are informations rather than an assumption.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 51

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 21:36
If we negate the option B then the whole argument falls. If final decision is not of the CEO then the new covers could be used or could not be. Hence the Option B is correct . Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 367

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 12:21
i m not convinced with the explanation. please help
i think conclusion clearly says CEO is more interested in margins rather than heritage value. It is about interest of CEO not the final decision of CEO. in case of B if we negate it says "Final say in choosing the seat cover colours for the cars "NOT" lies with the CEO" but still it cannot refute conclusion. CEO still can be interested.

Please help and correct me, if i m wrong

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 367

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Schools: Olin '18 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 13:40
Explanations given for this question does not appear to be convincing.

Negation is a good method to find assumption.Similarly, stated option truth ,if the option is assumption, should make the conclusion more believable.

What i mean here that if i assume CEO holds the final say of choosing seat cover colors, this fact does not make the conclusion believable that CEO is interested in boosting sales.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 22:14
well for people who kept E as a contender, i think E doesnt stand as an assumption. An assumption always strengthens an argument, if we consider E;

Automobile company’s cars with silver and gold coloured seat covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with cars with heritage white seat covers. : this is sort of a weakener, if the prices are 3 times more than the heritage covers, maybe the CEO is looking to add more luxury to the car segment. maybe as the manufacturing cost of the car goes up, he still prices the car at an affordable rate. maybe he might price the car so high, that people automatically get deterred from buying the car thereby reducing the sales. where there are so many "maybes" within an option, that does not stand a chance as a contender.

In fact, A and B are the only contenders. But again B wins over A, thats my take on it. Hope that was helpful.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 06:45
gabriel87 wrote:
Hi,

Can someone please help me with this question. Though it's 500 level question, i am little confused here.

a. The shiny lustre of silver and gold coloured seat covers often attracts public attention and motivates them to buy new cars.

b. Final say in choosing the seat cover colours for the cars lies with the CEO.

c. An automobile company can boost sales while highlighting the seat covers of grey and crimson colours.

d. The silver and gold coloured seat covers are featured in the new international automobile expo.

Source: GMAT Club test

Thanks in advance.

Although I chose ‘E’ at first, but after reading the argument again I realised that ‘B’ is the right option.

Well, argument says that new CEO has taken a decision to change White coloured seats to silver and gold colours. White seat covers were the manufacturer’s heritage colour.
Based on this information, it concluded that CEO is interested in increasing the sales instead of sticking to the heritage.

We have to find a link between the CEO’s decision and his interest in increasing the sales.
1) While giving his joining speech, CEO mentioned that he will change few existing things to increase the sales.
2) He can take the decision
3) From his point of view few changes should be done to increase the sales.

a. The shiny lustre of silver and gold coloured seat covers often attracts public attention and motivates them to buy new cars. The proposed seat cover colours motivate the consumers, but this doesn’t tell us anything about the relation between CEO’s decision and his interest

b. Final say in choosing the seat cover colours for the cars lies with the CEO. He can make the final decision. This is same assumption as we concluded above

c. An automobile company can boost sales while highlighting the seat covers of grey and crimson colours. we are not concerned about other colours

d. The silver and gold coloured seat covers are featured in the new international automobile expo. Featuring in automobile expo doesn’t tell anything about CEO’s interests

e. Automobile company’s cars with silver and gold coloured seat covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with cars with heritage white seat covers. The given data doesn’t tell us that CEO is interested in executing the change. This option doesn’t say that three times greater sales has attracted CEO’s attention and he showed his interest in gaining some market share in this sales.

Hope it is clear. Please share if somebody has any other view because I am learning with all of you :)

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 04:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 13:36

a. The shiny lustre of silver and gold coloured seat covers often attracts public attention and motivates them to buy new cars. -Colors are meant to attract people. "often"things happen.
b. Final say in choosing the seat cover colours for the cars lies with the CEO. -Correct. If the CEO is not the final authority then the changes are not being made by the CEO for his interest.
c. An automobile company can boost sales while highlighting the seat covers of grey and crimson colours. -This is out of scope. We are talking only about silver and gold.
d. The silver and gold coloured seat covers are featured in the new international automobile expo. -Out of scope
e. Automobile company’s cars with silver and gold coloured seat covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with cars with heritage white seat covers. -Even if the new seats were purchased at a rate twice that of purchase of previous seats the argument holds. Thus this is not an assumption

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 138

Re: After the new CEO took over the position, an automobile comp   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2017, 13:36

After the new CEO took over the position, an automobile comp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap