It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2014
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 06:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (01:13) correct 74% (01:14) wrong based on 347 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonviolent crimes in the state have been given community-service sentences instead of prison sentences. These offenders perform services commensurate with their training and skills, from scrubbing floors to conducting research for the state. The community-service program, which began in 1979, has grown immensely as a result of drunken-driver legislation en-acted a few months ago.
The introduction of the community-service program in 1979 was most probably prompted by which of the following, all of which occurred during the 1970's?
(A)A decrease in the number of violent crimes in the state
(B)An increase in the number of crimes committed by employees of the state
(C)A gradual decrease in the median age of judges in the state
(D)The overcrowding of prisons in the state
(E)The passage of drunken-driver legislation in other states

The correct answer is D, why not E?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 219

Kudos [?]: 417 [1], given: 172

GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 07:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
None of the choices look convincing to be honest. What is the source? Doesn't seem like a typical GMAT question.

Experts feedback will be good in this case

Kudos [?]: 417 [1], given: 172

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 17:27
aarongre wrote:
Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonviolent crimes in the state have been given community-service sentences instead of prison sentences. These offenders perform services commensurate with their training and skills, from scrubbing floors to conducting research for the state. The community-service program, which began in 1979, has grown immensely as a result of drunken-driver legislation en-acted a few months ago.
The introduction of the community-service program in 1979 was most probably prompted by which of the following, all of which occurred during the 1970's?
(A)A decrease in the number of violent crimes in the state
(B)An increase in the number of crimes committed by employees of the state
(C)A gradual decrease in the median age of judges in the state
(D)The overcrowding of prisons in the state
(E)The passage of drunken-driver legislation in other states

The correct answer is D, why not E?


For me ,the answer by elimination is D

A)-->passage talks about non-violent crimes
B)-->employees of the state are irrelevant
C)-->judges do not write legislation and therefore a fairly broad assumption to think this would have been the reason
D)-->Overcrowding could be a reason for taking non-violent offenders out of the prison system CORRECT
E0-->Passage of this legislation in other states would explain passing of similar drunk-driver legislation in 1979 not now as the passage states

Kudos if this helps

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2013
Posts: 37

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 40

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2014, 11:03
You say the correct answer is D, but you've provided E in the post.!


Here's my take for D -
(A)A decrease in the number of violent crimes in the state
A decrease in violent crime does not lead to change in punishment for non-violent crimes.
(B)An increase in the number of crimes committed by employees of the state
Again doesnt change what punishment is appropriate.
(C)A gradual decrease in the median age of judges in the state
Nope. Same reason as above.
(D)The overcrowding of prisons in the state
Correct. This is especially true because community service is given OVER prison sentence. So something happened in 1970s related to prisons, and the reason is they became overcrowded.
(E)The passage of drunken-driver legislation in other states
Drunken driving scenario comes in because of a change of legislation "few months ago" - say in 2013 (as of writing). Put another way, drunken driving wasnt the primary motive to change from prison sentence to community service.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 40

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1966

Kudos [?]: 757 [1], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2014, 20:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Dude is the OA 'D' or 'E'

Also, you may wanna use a spoiler next time :)

Cheers!
J :)

Kudos [?]: 757 [1], given: 355

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2014
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2015, 23:04
The answer should be D, until unless there was an additional premise in the argument stating that the Subject State prison's were over saturated , because of housing prisoners from other states. :-)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

CR Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 498

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 09:27
The correct answer is D, but in spoiler it is given E.
The incorrect answer in spoiler confuses me and hopefully all.
Please rectify the issue.
Thanks.
_________________

Hasan Mahmud


Last edited by Mahmud6 on 03 Feb 2017, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 197

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 197

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 17:00
Could some experts confirm what the right answer is. No way (E) can be. Passage does not talk about what happened in other states.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Aug 2016
Posts: 23

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 55

Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 22:38
I have marked D asmy OA. I cant see any reason why can E be OA? Experts pls guide

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 55

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Dec 2015
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 204

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 23:10
OA is incorrect. Kindly review

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 204

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2016
Posts: 59

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 25

Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 23:18
+1 D.

What's the source? Doesn't look like a gmat question to me.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 25

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3219

Kudos [?]: 3630 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 04:00
startjumprun wrote:
I have marked D asmy OA. I cant see any reason why can E be OA? Experts pls guide


OA has been changed to D - this question seems to be too plain to be considered a typical GMAT style question.

Kudos [?]: 3630 [0], given: 22

CR Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 498

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 04:48
sayantanc2k wrote:
startjumprun wrote:
I have marked D asmy OA. I cant see any reason why can E be OA? Experts pls guide


OA has been changed to D - this question seems to be too plain to be considered a typical GMAT style question.



I don't know how difficulty level of a question is defined.
The difficulty level shall also need to be justified. Surely, it is not of a 95% level difficult question!
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 197

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3219

Kudos [?]: 3630 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 05:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Mahmud6 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
startjumprun wrote:
I have marked D asmy OA. I cant see any reason why can E be OA? Experts pls guide


OA has been changed to D - this question seems to be too plain to be considered a typical GMAT style question.



I don't know how difficulty level of a question is defined.
The difficulty level shall also need to be justified. Surely, it is not of a 95% level difficult question!


The difficulty level is determined by the proprotion of correct answers to wrong. Thus if the original poster of the question has given a wrong OA or posted an unauthentic question, the difficulty % goes haywire. We ( i.e. people like you who highlight the mistakes, and moderators like us) together try to eliminate as many mistakes or misconceptions as possible so as to make this forum as useful to the GMAT aspirants as we can. Thank you for your cooperation.

Kudos [?]: 3630 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 471

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 12:45
Mahmud6 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
startjumprun wrote:
I have marked D asmy OA. I cant see any reason why can E be OA? Experts pls guide


OA has been changed to D - this question seems to be too plain to be considered a typical GMAT style question.


I don't know how difficulty level of a question is defined.
The difficulty level shall also need to be justified. Surely, it is not of a 95% level difficult question!


Thinking difficulty level in the exam is bad habit. There is no chance to know any question's difficulty level in exam. So, try to ignore the difficulty level when you're in the exam hall-you already don't know what is the difficulty level is going on right now. Suppose, your difficulty level is going on 550 level right now, but you think that it is 750 difficulty level. This 750 level thing will give you stress, pain to solve next 550/560 level question, because you already thought that is 750/760 level question is going on. So, get rid the difficulty level from your head.
Thank you...
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

Re: Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2017, 12:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Approximately 5 ,000 people who have been convicted of nonvi

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.