It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 12

As an Actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2010, 09:48
49. As an Actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert Deniro

a.Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including

b. Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include

c. Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors, whose ranks included

d. One of the most influential artist in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including

e. One of the most influential artist in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:C

People plz answer with explanations.
Thanks in advance

Nanquam Fractum

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 6

Re: Stella Adler.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2010, 12:43
can someone please explain why (D) and (E) are incorrect?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: SPG

Kudos [?]: 897 [1], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2010, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
as an actress ... stella
answer choice should start with stella

eliminate D & E

A: theatre, who trained
i'd love to see a theatre WHO can train :)

B: trained actors who include
tense should be consistent .. either use present or past
stella is surrounded by modifiers before and after .. such construction looks awkward

C it is

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Kudos [?]: 897 [1], given: 28

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 6

As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2010, 07:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

Please support with explantions!!
I think the OA is incorrect for this question....So plz discuss

Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Need help to sort this one out [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2010, 07:44
Please refer to the following post.

participle-clause-vs-relative-clause-83593.html

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

14 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT

Kudos [?]: 1684 [14], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All,

While you all got to the write answer here, there are a lot of mistakes made in the explanations that I'd like to correct.

49. As an Actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert Deniro.

The category of this question is MODIFIERS, which are responsible for almost every error. We can recognize this simply by reading the original sentence. First, it starts with a prepositional modifier (as an actress...), and then we'd notice the "who trained", which is a modifier opened with a relative pronoun. The most important rule to remember for modifiers is that noun modifiers need to touch the thing they're modifying.

a.Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
PROBLEM: The first modifier is correct ("As an actress..." is touching "Stella Adler"). Unfortunately, the second modifier is incorrect. "Who trained several..." should be touching Stella Adler as well. Instead it's modifying "American theater", which doesn't make any sense.

b. Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
PROBLEM: The problem here is two-fold. First of all, our modifier gets odd here. If you take out the middle man "one of the most...", we end up with a sentence saying that "As an actress and a teacher of acting, Stella Adler trained several generations of actors." That doesn't make any sense. She only taught people as a teacher, not as an actress. Also, the "who include" is modifying incorrectly here.

Think about this sample sentence, "I have a lot of friends who include Dave and Jim." It sounds like my friends are including Dave and Jim (when they hang out together), rather than that Dave and Jim are two of my many friends.

c. Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors, whose ranks included
ANSWER: This fixes both problems I discussed in B.

d. One of the most influential artist in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
PROBLEM: First, the opening modifier "As an actress" needs to be modifying Stella Adler, but now it's modifying "one of the most influential artists...". The "including" is also problematic, like "include" in b.

e. One of the most influential artist in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included
PROBLEM: Same as above in terms of modifier. Also makes the "trained" mistake that B made. The loss of the comma creates a lack of clarity, but NOT a run-on sentence (that's when you have independent clauses without a period or semicolon to separate them).

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1684 [14], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 12:47
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

Ok after reading through the link provided i get what is incorrect in (a), (d) and (e).

Can someone explain what is wrong in B?
B/C i'm confused.

Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 13:39
The problem with B is that the relative pronoun who is used to refer to a group - generations. You can make it right by
changing the word who to that, but since that isnt a choice you go with C which uses whose correctly

Ps. Kudos are always welcomed ; )

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 14:05
agree with C

D/E are gone because of the opening modifier in A who is not modifying a person and in B I think include should be included since we shift from the simple past trained to the simple present include. also B has a lot of modifiers in a row that make it confusing

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2010, 01:47
Thank you for explaining the options, i was really confused between C and B, just one questions though: in your example about B (I have a lot of friends who include Dave and Jim.) if you substitute "who" for "including" would the sentence then clearly describe dave and jim as a part of the group, another question is the relative pronoun always ambiguous when it's referring to a genitive phrase( 's or <of phrase>).

Nanquam Fractum

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT

Kudos [?]: 1684 [2], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2010, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey Elevinty,

So I'm not 100% sure exactly what you meant here, but I'll try my best.

For your first question, I believe you were asking if the sentence said "I have a lot of friends including Dave and Jim", would that make sense. I would argue no, that the word "including" seems to be modifying friends, so it remains unclear if my friends make an effort to include Dave and Jim, or if the category I'm calling friends includes them. Much better to have some term like "ranks" to obliterate the confusion.

As for your other question, "Is the relative pronoun always ambiguous when referring to a possessive (I won't say genitive...you've been studying too much Latin, or German)?", I'm not sure what you mean. Perhaps is the sentence "The dog of John's whom I saw yesterday is pretty." You're saying that the "whom" phrase could be referring to John or Dog? Actually, we would consider that pretty clear, because "of John's" is a modifier, and John's is really just an adjective. I won't lie to you, it's still a little unclear, but I wouldn't cross it out for that reason, and I can't imagine the GMAT ever making a question contingent on JUST that issue. In this sentence, it's not a possessive issue so much as a meaning issue. There are two readings of "include", and we can't work out what MEANING is implied.

If that didn't answer your question, feel free to ask again!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1684 [2], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2010, 13:56
Hey Tommy
Thank you so much, kudos
I know am asking a lot of questions but plz bear with me, just one more. this question is confusing the hell out of me.
in this sentence: "Initiated on Columbus Day 1992five centuries after Europeans arrived in the New World,Project SETI pledged a$100 million investment in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence."
what I dont understand is the structure:
what is the function of the noun phrase in here(five centuries....), at first glance it seemed as a misplaced modifier, because you need a noun subject after the introductory phrase instead we have another modifier, to me the place of this modifier seems illogic. Isn't the noun phrase(or appositive) is supposed to sit next to the noun it's modifying.
and for the first bit (initiated ....1992) this modifier starts with past participle, correct if am wrong but isn't the past participle always acts as an adjective (or a noun modifier) meaning it doesnt function as an adverb therefore it has to be placed next to what it is modifying.
I feel like am missing something here :roll:

Nanquam Fractum

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2010, 06:07
C is best....B is wrong because of the usage of 'who' to refer to 'actors'

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2010, 07:02
who do you think "who" should refer to?

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2010, 23:10
What is wrong with A? It looks alright.

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 588 [0], given: 264

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2011, 10:39
i chose B but now agree with C..a good question

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Kudos [?]: 588 [0], given: 264

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2011, 09:39
Thanx a good explanation by Tommy.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1248 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2012, 13:58
the OA is indeed C. "actors who include" doesn't make much sense in B. brando and deniro ARE actors, 'actors' don't include them. A is incorrect because 'who' incorrectly modifies 'theatre'.

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Kudos [?]: 1248 [0], given: 48

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1639 [1], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2012, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
papillon86 wrote:

Please support with explantions!!
I think the OA is incorrect for this question....So plz discuss

Thanks

Indeed (C). Good explanation, MBAhereIcome.

We do want "Stella" in the first part so that gets rid of (D) and (E).

We're left with (A), (B), and (C). (A) almost implies the "theater" who trained....- so the positioning of the word is not right.
(B) is close, but as noted above, "actors who include" implies that the list of people following that phrase belong to the several generations of actors. This is not the case. Now this phrasing might be common in everyday language, but for GMAT purposes that's not what we want.

The phrasing in (C) is better: "several generations of actors whose ranks included"

Kudos [?]: 1639 [1], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2012, 00:08

Yesh. C is the answer.
The key to answering this problem is to understand the logical between "Generations" and those including- phrase.
When we say several generations of actors, we cannot say including or who included. The reason is you are trying to exemplify the reason for including those names. The author wants to highlight the prominence of those names. So, thats why he says whose "ranks" include. So, ranks shows the exact reason why he said several generations of actors. This point rules out A, B, and D.

E has a modifer error. Because the first set of phrases: "As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting" are not placed next to a noun. So this makes them a dangling modifier.

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting,   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2012, 00:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 89 posts ] 

As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap