GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth vs Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  

Booth vs Kellogg

• 47% [18]
  • 52% [20]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
Booth vs Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jan 2018, 08:45
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between Booth ($80K) ($100K) and Kellogg ($100K) and am having trouble making a decision.

I plan on going into consulting or healthcare (or a mix of both) post-MBA. I know Kellogg is strong in both of these fields, especially with it's Health Enterprise Management Pathway, but Booth is also pretty strong in consulting and has an interesting Graduate Program in Health Administration and Policy with the med school, law school, and Harris school of public policy. I was wait-listed at Booth and rejected at Kellogg last year, so I've definitely had a strong connection to Booth over the past year, but Kellogg has begun to grow on me after the acceptance and large scholarship this year and through talks I've had with current students. I'm hoping I'll have a better idea of where I fit better after attending both admitted student weekends, but until then, I'd like to get some opinions about what people think of either school. I know that I'll be able to land the career I want out of either school, but I also feel like my MBA experience will be completely different at either school.

I'm currently torn between the flexibility of courses at Booth vs the strong relationships formed in the cohort, core class, teamwork format at Kellogg. I'm also torn between all of the amazing academically challenging classes I'll be able to take at Booth vs the fun, social culture of Kellogg. I really like what makes each of the 2 schools different, and I know I really can't go wrong with whatever decision I make, which is what is making this decision so difficult.

Oh, and I love the city of Chicago, so I am so happy that I even have this choice!

Thanks!

Originally posted by kardonirish24 on 21 Dec 2017, 15:21.
Last edited by kardonirish24 on 04 Jan 2018, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Booth vs Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 15:23
Hey. Congratulations on those admits. Can you share your profile please?

Cheers,
Kabir
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 17:27
kardonirish24 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between Booth ($80K) and Kellogg ($100K) and am having trouble making a decision.

I plan on going into consulting or healthcare (or a mix of both) post-MBA. I know Kellogg is strong in both of these fields, especially with it's Health Enterprise Management Pathway, but Booth is also pretty strong in consulting and has an interesting Graduate Program in Health Administration and Policy with the med school, law school, and Harris school of public policy. I was wait-listed at Booth and rejected at Kellogg last year, so I've definitely had a strong connection to Booth over the past year, but Kellogg has begun to grow on me after the acceptance and large scholarship this year and through talks I've had with current students. I'm hoping I'll have a better idea of where I fit better after attending both admitted student weekends, but until then, I'd like to get some opinions about what people think of either school. I know that I'll be able to land the career I want out of either school, but I also feel like my MBA experience will be completely different at either school.

I'm currently torn between the flexibility of courses at Booth vs the strong relationships formed in the cohort, core class, teamwork format at Kellogg. I'm also torn between all of the amazing academically challenging classes I'll be able to take at Booth vs the fun, social culture of Kellogg. I really like what makes each of the 2 schools different, and I know I really can't go wrong with whatever decision I make, which is what is making this decision so difficult.

Oh, and I love the city of Chicago, so I am so happy that I even have this choice!

Thanks!

Congrats on multiple admits. I will provide the following points but will be biased as I am a part of Kellogg's Class of 2018 cohort but will try to provide an unbiased perspective. Ill start by mentioning that both schools are great and the scholarship amounts add to their appeal. I had visited Booth back in 2015 during the application process and didnt even visit Kellogg before the admit. That being said, I knew about Kellogg's culture in great detail as I have known Kellogg Alumni since class of 2007. Booth with its great program/options/opportunities did not provide a good first impression as Evanston wins hands down against Hyde Park or Chicago Downtown. Yes, Chicago downtown has its own appeal being right in the heart of everything but Evanston provides a great 'compact' feel to it. In addition, Evanston is relatively less expensive to live with your family still exposed to the life of Chicago downtown as and when needed. Evanston conveniently provides a close-knit community feel where the walk to anything you will need will not be more than 10-15 minutes walk.

Facilities and alumni wise, both, Booth and Kellogg will provide tremendous opportunities. Kellogg, as you have mentioned, has started to focus on not just healthcare sector in general but has also started to provide courses specific towards payor/provider spectrum within HC, a much needed exposure to such facets given the new regulatory changes occurring. Complementing the coursework, Kellogg has seen record HC related recruiting over the past 2-3 years, right from pharma/biotech/insurance provider/payor companies recruiting heavily at Kellogg. As for consulting, Kellogg has always been a powerhouse and probably is better than Booth in that regard be it traditional companies such as MBB or boutique firms such as Alix Partners, Charles River or Cambridge group.

Do attend the Day at Kellogg (DAK) as soon as you get a chance as you will not only be walked through an actual in class experience of what is it like to experience as a student at Kellogg, getting assigned to specific cohorts over 2-3 days and being involved in tons of great activities. Dont know about the admit day activities at Booth.

Finally, as I am also involved with admissions at Kellogg, feel free to shoot a message and will be more than happy to get on the phone to chat with you.

Good luck and congrats with your admits. At the end of the day, Kellogg, IMO, will provide a more 'richer' experience as Kellogg adcoms have gone an extra mile with providing the JVs a feel of being a part of extended Kellogg community.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 09:09
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:

Congrats on multiple admits. I will provide the following points but will be biased as I am a part of Kellogg's Class of 2018 cohort but will try to provide an unbiased perspective. Ill start by mentioning that both schools are great and the scholarship amounts add to their appeal. I had visited Booth back in 2015 during the application process and didnt even visit Kellogg before the admit. That being said, I knew about Kellogg's culture in great detail as I have known Kellogg Alumni since class of 2007. Booth with its great program/options/opportunities did not provide a good first impression as Evanston wins hands down against Hyde Park or Chicago Downtown. Yes, Chicago downtown has its own appeal being right in the heart of everything but Evanston provides a great 'compact' feel to it. In addition, Evanston is relatively less expensive to live with your family still exposed to the life of Chicago downtown as and when needed. Evanston conveniently provides a close-knit community feel where the walk to anything you will need will not be more than 10-15 minutes walk.

Facilities and alumni wise, both, Booth and Kellogg will provide tremendous opportunities. Kellogg, as you have mentioned, has started to focus on not just healthcare sector in general but has also started to provide courses specific towards payor/provider spectrum within HC, a much needed exposure to such facets given the new regulatory changes occurring. Complementing the coursework, Kellogg has seen record HC related recruiting over the past 2-3 years, right from pharma/biotech/insurance provider/payor companies recruiting heavily at Kellogg. As for consulting, Kellogg has always been a powerhouse and probably is better than Booth in that regard be it traditional companies such as MBB or boutique firms such as Alix Partners, Charles River or Cambridge group.

Do attend the Day at Kellogg (DAK) as soon as you get a chance as you will not only be walked through an actual in class experience of what is it like to experience as a student at Kellogg, getting assigned to specific cohorts over 2-3 days and being involved in tons of great activities. Dont know about the admit day activities at Booth.

Finally, as I am also involved with admissions at Kellogg, feel free to shoot a message and will be more than happy to get on the phone to chat with you.

Good luck and congrats with your admits. At the end of the day, Kellogg, IMO, will provide a more 'richer' experience as Kellogg adcoms have gone an extra mile with providing the JVs a feel of being a part of extended Kellogg community.

Thanks for thoughtful response!

I will definitely be attending DAK (Kellogg) and First Day (Booth) in about a month, and hopefully I'll have a better idea afterward.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Tuck '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 10:02
Grats on the admits — personally, I'd lean slightly toward Kellogg just based on the social scene, and $20k is nothing to sneeze at especially when both programs place very similar numbers into consulting. You should be able to feel it out better after the admit weekends though.
2 KUDOS received
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 10:03
i agree with the previous poster that you should attend both admit weekends and choose mostly based on fit. i was deciding between booth and kellogg myself two years ago and it was clear to me after the weekends that booth was the better fit for me. i decided i would much rather live in downtown chi than evanston, valued the flexible curriculum over the more rigid cohort style of kellogg, and overall felt the academics of booth were more impressive. also in terms of consulting, i disagree that kellogg is better than booth and am pretty sure that mckinsey takes more booth students than any other school.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 10:15
jessepinkman wrote:
i agree with the previous poster that you should attend both admit weekends and choose mostly based on fit. i was deciding between booth and kellogg myself two years ago and it was clear to me after the weekends that booth was the better fit for me. i decided i would much rather live in downtown chi than evanston, valued the flexible curriculum over the more rigid cohort style of kellogg, and overall felt the academics of booth were more impressive. also in terms of consulting, i disagree that kellogg is better than booth and am pretty sure that mckinsey takes more booth students than any other school.

This is where it gets weird when people who are pursuing an MBA or have graduated make these assertions just to prove their biased points. Yes, McK did hire more from Booth in 2017, but MBB in total took 104 students from Kellogg compared to 96 from Booth in 2017. But this will not show the bigger picture that consulting as an industry is very vast and diverse for us to pick and choose to prove our points. Another point I disagree is about the 'rigid cohort style of Kellogg'. At Kellogg, you take almost all of your cohort based courses in the fall quarter of the first year and after that you take a 5 week course in the pre-term of the next year. That is all. You have 5 quarters to choose your electives and you will invariably take these electives with people outside of your cohort.

As for Healthcare, as I had mentioned before, Kellogg recently added close to 10 new Healthcare courses that take into account all the different facets of Healthcare, given the changing regulatory framework in North America.

Hope this adds to the discussion on this thread.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 10:26
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
jessepinkman wrote:

This is where it gets weird when people who are pursuing an MBA or have graduated make these assertions just to prove their biased points. Yes, McK did hire more from Booth in 2017, but MBB in total took 104 students from Kellogg compared to 96 from Booth in 2017. But this will not show the bigger picture that consulting as an industry is very vast and diverse for us to pick and choose to prove our points. Another point I disagree is about the 'rigid cohort style of Kellogg'. At Kellogg, you take almost all of your cohort based courses in the fall quarter of the first year and after that you take a 5 week course in the pre-term of the next year. That is all. You have 5 quarters to choose your electives and you will invariably take these electives with people outside of your cohort.

As for Healthcare, as I had mentioned before, Kellogg recently added close to 10 new Healthcare courses that take into account all the different facets of Healthcare, given the changing regulatory framework in North America.

Thanks ENGRTOMBA2018 -- one question I do have about those numbers is, how many of the MBB hires were 1-year MBA students because if you include those in the number of students seeking employment, isn't Kellogg's class larger than Booth's? If there aren't many 1-year MBAs going into MBB, then that does show a different story.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 10:35
kardonirish24 wrote:
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
jessepinkman wrote:

Thanks ENGRTOMBA2018 -- one question I do have about those numbers is, how many of the MBB hires were 1-year MBA students because if you include those in the number of students seeking employment, isn't Kellogg's class larger than Booth's? If there aren't many 1-year MBAs going into MBB, then that does show a different story.

Fair and a great question. What you are saying is a possibility but that doesnt change the fact that if you are basing your admit decision based on sheer numbers, then you are not doing complete due diligence. These numbers are very fickle and also include students who , say were already sponsored by McKinsey Moscow office but now transferred themselves to McKinsey New York office. Although this is an intracompany transfer, it still is considered another 'offer'. So dont get swayed by the numbers. Also, MBB is a long shot for anyone who recruits for them and thus, be cognizant of this fact when you use these numbers.

Let us know as and when you make your decision.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 11:07
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
kardonirish24 wrote:
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:

Fair and a great question. What you are saying is a possibility but that doesnt change the fact that if you are basing your admit decision based on sheer numbers, then you are not doing complete due diligence. These numbers are very fickle and also include students who , say were already sponsored by McKinsey Moscow office but now transferred themselves to McKinsey New York office. Although this is an intracompany transfer, it still is considered another 'offer'. So dont get swayed by the numbers. Also, MBB is a long shot for anyone who recruits for them and thus, be cognizant of this fact when you use these numbers.

Let us know as and when you make your decision.

Definitely agree! The numbers are so close either way, and yes either way it will take some work to get that offer, so I am not basing my decision on the numbers. Both are super strong schools, and I know that no choice is a bad choice--they're just so different. Thanks to all for the feedback and opinions so far, and I will definitely keep you all updated on my decision after the admitted student weekends.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 15:25
I just wanted to update that Booth matched my Kellogg scholarship, so now it really will come down just to fit. Would love to get some more feedback and thoughts from current students before I make this tough decision.
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 15:33
kardonirish24 wrote:
I just wanted to update that Booth matched my Kellogg scholarship, so now it really will come down just to fit. Would love to get some more feedback and thoughts from current students before I make this tough decision.

Lol, good for you! But it only increases your predicament. A great problem to have! Reach out if you want to be put in touch with other current students. Will be more than happy to do that.

Good luck and let us know as and when you decide.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 15:41
kardonirish24 wrote:

Hi kardonirish24
At this point, its really about what you want more. This is like choosing between two different cuisines offered by two world-class restaurants. One is not essentially better than the other... its just what you are in the mood for (for the next 2 years)

You will definitely get MBB interviews at both places. Overall #s cease to matter in this situation (since they are so similar)... all YOU need is 1 spot. And if you're good, you'll get it for sure..

Life is all about trade-offs. Which experience are you willing to let go of? The comparatively fun atmosphere at Kellogg and the charm of Evanston vs the academic rigor and city life at the historic University of Chicago. Only you can answer this now..

Personally, I'd have chosen Kellogg since it aligns more with my personality. That said, I'm willing to give an arm and a leg for an opportunity to be at Booth.
You are in a great position.. and just remember to fully embrace the decision you take. FOMO is the biggest peril that MBA students have to deal with even without such a choice.. so don't fall in the trap.

Good luck!

GMAT Debrief - 770
bb's "The Definitive GMAT Study Plan" - 2016 Edition
Must read forum topics before you start your MBA application

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 11:08
stoiczoan wrote:
kardonirish24 wrote:

Hi kardonirish24
At this point, its really about what you want more. This is like choosing between two different cuisines offered by two world-class restaurants. One is not essentially better than the other... its just what you are in the mood for (for the next 2 years)

You will definitely get MBB interviews at both places. Overall #s cease to matter in this situation (since they are so similar)... all YOU need is 1 spot. And if you're good, you'll get it for sure..

Life is all about trade-offs. Which experience are you willing to let go of? The comparatively fun atmosphere at Kellogg and the charm of Evanston vs the academic rigor and city life at the historic University of Chicago. Only you can answer this now..

Personally, I'd have chosen Kellogg since it aligns more with my personality. That said, I'm willing to give an arm and a leg for an opportunity to be at Booth.
You are in a great position.. and just remember to fully embrace the decision you take. FOMO is the biggest peril that MBA students have to deal with even without such a choice.. so don't fall in the trap.

Good luck!

Thanks stoiczoan you're absolutely right. At this point it really is what do I want more, and I honestly just don't have an answer to that at the moment. I feel that I probably won't know for sure until I do both visit weekends. They're both amazing schools, and I'm definitely so happy to be in this predicament, but I just wish I didn't like aspects of both of them so much so that this would be an easier decision. I feel like I just want someone to tell me where to go, but I know I need to make this decision for myself and not look back after I make that decision. Thanks for your input!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 11:42
Just curious as to what you ended up deciding, if you're comfortable sharing. I'm faced with a similar decision although the scholarships that Kellogg and Booth offered me are way apart (over $100K different), which makes my decision a lot easier. I hadn't visited either campus until recently and have to admit that even though I've heard the adage "there is no wrong choice when it comes to top business schools" so many times, culturally the two schools felt quite different. I feel like I would be really torn if the value of my scholarship was the same at both schools and am curious as to how you ended up making your final decision. No pressure if you don't want to share.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 13:47
classicman89 wrote:
Just curious as to what you ended up deciding, if you're comfortable sharing. I'm faced with a similar decision although the scholarships that Kellogg and Booth offered me are way apart (over $100K different), which makes my decision a lot easier. I hadn't visited either campus until recently and have to admit that even though I've heard the adage "there is no wrong choice when it comes to top business schools" so many times, culturally the two schools felt quite different. I feel like I would be really torn if the value of my scholarship was the same at both schools and am curious as to how you ended up making your final decision. No pressure if you don't want to share.

Haha well I haven't decided yet actually, and I am now deciding between these 2 schools and Columbia (full tuition) as well. However, if I were you, I'd take the money. You're right that they are pretty different in culture, but they're both great programs and both have their strong positives and negatives. I truly wish money was the deciding factor for me--it would make this process so much easier.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 14:12
kardonirish24 wrote:
classicman89 wrote:

Haha well I haven't decided yet actually, and I am now deciding between these 2 schools and Columbia (full tuition) as well. However, if I were you, I'd take the money. You're right that they are pretty different in culture, but they're both great programs and both have their strong positives and negatives. I truly wish money was the deciding factor for me--it would make this process so much easier.

Sometimes getting dinged in all but one can be and usually is a blessing, but few see it that way, and consider it an almost-failure.... human nature is a fascinating thing. We want a choice but we really don't want to choose :-)

Congrats - hopefully it is an easy choice.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 06:36
kardonirish24 wrote:
classicman89 wrote:

kardonirish24 given that today is the deadline for Booth, I'm curious to find out what you decided on and what the drivers were. Thanks
Re: Booth vs Kellogg &nbs [#permalink] 14 Feb 2018, 06:36

Booth vs Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap