GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 01:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Re: Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 17:21
Thank you!! I realized this after I had posted but feel reassured since you confirmed my suspicions.

The character count limitation for the Consortium app is a bit frustrating. I feel like I have to edit out pertinent details that help the story flow (I'm an English major and ex-paralegal so could also be my fixation on precise diction and phrasing.) Thank you again! :)

ferris734 wrote:
clee920 wrote:
Hello!

I am preparing to submit R2 and am having a few technical questions regarding the application. For those of you who have been admitted or completed the application, I would really appreciate your help!

1) Are the character counts inclusive of spaces? I read somewhere that they are but wanted to make sure. (Also, did anyone notice if the text box will allow a few more characters than the maximum?)

2) I am unable to copy and paste my essays into the text boxes using Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. I also tried copying and pasting into Notepad first, but still no luck.

Any and all help/feedback is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi! I remember having the same issue with copy-pasting, it will not allow you to copy-paste unless you are within the character limit stated (including spaces, if I'm remembering correctly). So even if a schools' traditional app says 500 words and you are at 500 words, you may be over the Consortium version of the app's character limit. Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 15:10
Anyone else unable to submit your mission recommender info and get the prompt sent to him/her? I'm guessing I have to submit my mission essay with it to get it to take the info.

Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Other)
Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 18:56
stebbinn wrote:
Anyone else unable to submit your mission recommender info and get the prompt sent to him/her? I'm guessing I have to submit my mission essay with it to get it to take the info.

Thoughts?

it takes an extra day or so for them to receive the email. However, in my case it never happened, so you should simply ask your recommender to download this form
https://app.box.com/s/layz6dn9zceqjs6e3ywwy8z2jjhc11ee

and send it to recruiting@cgsm.org . They will only accept it if it comes from your recommender. Here is a screenshot of the email I received with the extra instructions. Hope this helps!

Oh and this is the Login to the VIP page, a green checkmark will appear next to the mission recommendation once they process it
https://cgsm.askadmissions.net/vip/
Attachments

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 8.53.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 8.53.04 PM.png [ 392.43 KiB | Viewed 1918 times ]

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 16:28
Can someone clarify what the member schools will see? Will they see my Consortium core or membership essays? Will they see my mission recommendation? What about vice versa? Will the Consortium read my school apps during membership consideration?

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 15:25
okay wrote:
Can someone clarify what the member schools will see? Will they see my Consortium core or membership essays? Will they see my mission recommendation? What about vice versa? Will the Consortium read my school apps during membership consideration?

Schools do not have access to the membership essay or the membership mission recommendation. The decision for membership is made solely by The Consortium.
Consortium will not consider school essays at all when deciding about your membership.

Member schools will see your general "core" consortium essay, and the school specific essays. If you apply to several schools, each school will only see their own specific essays, plus the core consortium essay.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 14:07
Is it recommended to complete the Core Essay #2? Or is it like the typical optional essay on business school apps where you list any employment gaps, extenuating circumstances, etc?

The way the prompt is written, you can write about anything you want. I don't want to be dinged if I leave it blank.

Is there any other information you would like to share that is not presented elsewhere in the application? You may also use this essay to provide further explanation of employment gaps, test scores, etc. (Optional)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 14:33
ASPEBoston wrote:
Hello everyone,
I could not find the recommender questions for The Consortium on-line. My recommender already got the invite and she shared the questions with me... Posting them here in case it helps!

1. How long have you known the applicant and under what circumstances? * Characters left in your response 1000

2. Please discuss any strengths you think may enhance the candidate's performance in graduate business studies and in a management career. * . Characters left in your response 1000

3. What weaknesses do you think may affect the candidate's performance in graduate business studies and in a management career? *
Characters left in your response 1000

4. Please make any additional comments which you think will help in assessing the candidacy of the applicant. *

Very helpful; thanks for posting.

Was there a character limit on the last question?
Was there an area for the recommender to upload a letter, or do they just fill out a box?
D
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 15:06
fizzypop wrote:
ASPEBoston wrote:
Hello everyone,
I could not find the recommender questions for The Consortium on-line. My recommender already got the invite and she shared the questions with me... Posting them here in case it helps!

1. How long have you known the applicant and under what circumstances? * Characters left in your response 1000

2. Please discuss any strengths you think may enhance the candidate's performance in graduate business studies and in a management career. * . Characters left in your response 1000

3. What weaknesses do you think may affect the candidate's performance in graduate business studies and in a management career? *
Characters left in your response 1000

4. Please make any additional comments which you think will help in assessing the candidacy of the applicant. *

Very helpful; thanks for posting.

Was there a character limit on the last question?
Was there an area for the recommender to upload a letter, or do they just fill out a box?
D

All questions have a 1,000 character limit. My recommenders filled a box with text. Maybe there is an option to upload a document (not sure) but they said it was only a text box.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 11:50
fizzypop wrote:
Is it recommended to complete the Core Essay #2? Or is it like the typical optional essay on business school apps where you list any employment gaps, extenuating circumstances, etc?

The way the prompt is written, you can write about anything you want. I don't want to be dinged if I leave it blank.

Is there any other information you would like to share that is not presented elsewhere in the application? You may also use this essay to provide further explanation of employment gaps, test scores, etc. (Optional)

I thought of it like the typical optional essay on business school apps and left it blank - was ultimately admitted without it. I'd say use it only if there is really something to say that you feel needs to be said and doesn't fit anywhere else on the app.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 12:14
ferris734 wrote:
fizzypop wrote:

I thought of it like the typical optional essay on business school apps and left it blank - was ultimately admitted without it. I'd say use it only if there is really something to say that you feel needs to be said and doesn't fit anywhere else on the app.

I was actually a bit confused about this too. :?

Consortium's Core Essay 2 (optional) will be viewed by all schools that you apply to, in addition to each school's optional essay.
For someone who needs to write the optional essay, how does one differentiate between the contents of Core Essay 2 and each school's Optional Essay?
They feel like they can both have a lot of overlap in content.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 12:36
nadirhashmi wrote:
ferris734 wrote:
fizzypop wrote:

I was actually a bit confused about this too. :?

Consortium's Core Essay 2 (optional) will be viewed by all schools that you apply to, in addition to each school's optional essay.
For someone who needs to write the optional essay, how does one differentiate between the contents of Core Essay 2 and each school's Optional Essay?
They feel like they can both have a lot of overlap in content.

I think being a little repetitive is fine for those essays. Core Essay #1 also overlaps with several schools' specific essays, so back when I applied I spoke with an admissions officer from Tuck who told me it's fine to repeat yourself because they typically only glance at the Consortium Core Essays and spend much more of their time reviewing their school specific essays. Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.27

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 16:47
I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

Hypothetically, if I applied to Darden R1 not through the Consortium and got admitted, can I be considered for fellowship if I submit my CGSM membership for R2? I would not submit another Darden application, but rather list them on "I wish to be considered for fellowship by the following school(s) in the order listed below. You may be considered for as many as six schools using the common application."
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 17:02
NickC137 wrote:
I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

Hypothetically, if I applied to Darden R1 not through the Consortium and got admitted, can I be considered for fellowship if I submit my CGSM membership for R2? I would not submit another Darden application, but rather list them on "I wish to be considered for fellowship by the following school(s) in the order listed below. You may be considered for as many as six schools using the common application."

No. You must be considered for admission through your Consortium application. Consortium members have a different timeline than regular applicants anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 2.63
WE: Marketing (Other)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 19:51
Stupid question, I'm sure: Does the amount of schools matter for The Consortium? I've seen mixed advice throughout the interwebs. Recommendations are a pain for me to come by (everyone is too busy) so I wanted to lump in and use all 6, then apply to my 2 other non-consortium schools with other recommenders. However, I've seen several forums online saying that you should never use all 6 spots. Makes you look like a flip-flopping candidate (just hedging my bets just in case).

What do you guys think? Does it matter to a school if you use all 6 slots or just 4?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 09:46
So relieved that I hit the submit button! Hope my January Deadline applicant peers feel great too :-)

greatmightypoo - The only advice I have seen online is that Haas might look down on 6 applications. I did bring this question directly to admissions member Morgan Bernstein when I talked to her at a Consortium event, and she said using all 6 spots was totally fine, but who knows if they view it poorly during admissions/scholarship determination.

I ended up applying to four schools (and not Haas), for what it's worth.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 18:13
Hey guys, quick question - how many of you are part of the MLT program? I just wonder how/if MLT works with the Consortium. I am not part of MLT and wondered if that is a disadvantage.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 19:23
Is anyone else trying to submit upload essays? It’s not working for me.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 20:41
Good luck to all CGSM R2 applicants. Please update your status on Consortium Decision Tracker. It will provide us stats and helpful information to analyze admission trends. Thank you!

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jan 2018, 22:14
mba2018pls wrote:
Hey guys, quick question - how many of you are part of the MLT program? I just wonder how/if MLT works with the Consortium. I am not part of MLT and wondered if that is a disadvantage.

Not being part of MLT won't negatively impact your application. Being part of MLT has its own benefits, like peer support during the app, profile/essay help, and GMAT preparation. I think it is a valuable program, but if you are not a member don't fret about it. I am not a member (although if I had found out about them earlier I might have joined).

Good luck with your app!

Originally posted by ASPEBoston on 05 Jan 2018, 22:11.
Last edited by ASPEBoston on 05 Jan 2018, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 22:12
dan3067 wrote:
So relieved that I hit the submit button! Hope my January Deadline applicant peers feel great too :-)

greatmightypoo - The only advice I have seen online is that Haas might look down on 6 applications. I did bring this question directly to admissions member Morgan Bernstein when I talked to her at a Consortium event, and she said using all 6 spots was totally fine, but who knows if they view it poorly during admissions/scholarship determination.

I ended up applying to four schools (and not Haas), for what it's worth.

So relieved as well! Now up to complete my Sloan application and all done!

It was a race against the clock, but I was able to submit at 11:52 :D
Re: Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!! &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jan 2018, 22:12

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  28    Next  [ 555 posts ] 

Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap