GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 11:31
Admitted today! Everyone's posts on timelines helped my nerves a lot, so here is mine:

Submitted and Completed (with recommendations): Oct 16th
Invited to Interview: Dec 17th
Interview completed and feedback submitted: Dec 21st
Admitted: Dec 23rd, call on 11:45 am EST

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear. Keep in mind that the admission office will be closed Dec 24-27 and then again next week Dec 31-Jan 3. So things might get a litter slower in the next week or so, so try and enjoy the holiday season! :)
Current Student
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 11:43
Dinged without interview... Pretty surprised by this given that I had interviews with Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, and Sloan. Guess it just goes to show they all look for different things.

Submitted 11/7
Dinged 12/23

Best of luck and happy holidays to all!
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 11:46
iadoreyooh wrote:
Dinged without interview... Pretty surprised by this given that I had interviews with Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, and Sloan. Guess it just goes to show they all look for different things.

Submitted 11/7
Dinged 12/23

Couldn't agree more. Another thing to consider for CBS is that they already have filled their class by a few students already via the ED (i'd say close to 60% of the class). So for RD, they are looking at your profile vis a vis profile of students who have been admitted to make sure that they conform to the 'diversity' etc in their class. You should be extremely glad with your Wharton and a full ride Kellogg admit!!
Current Student
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 12:07
Engr2012 wrote:
iadoreyooh wrote:

Submitted 11/7
Dinged 12/23

Couldn't agree more. Another thing to consider for CBS is that they already have filled their class by a few students already via the ED (i'd say close to 60% of the class). So for RD, they are looking at your profile vis a vis profile of students who have been admitted to make sure that they conform to the 'diversity' etc in their class. You should be extremely glad with your Wharton and a full ride Kellogg admit!!

Ah yeah thanks! I didn't realize they fill up so much of their class with ED! That is a good point though, I am definitely from an overrepresented group :) (consulting)
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 12:10
iadoreyooh wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
iadoreyooh wrote:

Submitted 11/7
Dinged 12/23

Ah yeah thanks! I didn't realize they fill up so much of their class with ED! That is a good point though, I am definitely from an overrepresented group :) (consulting)

The above % of seats is just an estimate as they start looking at ED applications sometime from end of August till Nov (this year). Do not get me started on being from an "over represented group" (Indian Engineer with a post MBA industry changer here! :-D , probably what got me dinged after interview at Wharton!).

But it would make sense that Columbia would fill the class with more students in ED round as it shows to them that the applicants are 'serious' about Columbia.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 13:16
Random question - is it too formal to address your interviewer with Mr./Ms.? Is just the first name okay?
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 13:26
mbahopeful05 wrote:
Random question - is it too formal to address your interviewer with Mr./Ms.? Is just the first name okay?

When I first reached out the my interviewer, I used "Dear Mr. LastName", but in subsequent emails, I used his first name as he had addressed me with my first name as well. When in doubt, go formal. It's always the safest choice :) Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 13:31
HopefulOne2015 wrote:
mbahopeful05 wrote:

When I first reached out the my interviewer, I used "Dear Mr. LastName", but in subsequent emails, I used his first name as he had addressed me with my first name as well. When in doubt, go formal. It's always the safest choice :) Good luck!

Thank you so much!! :-D
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.64
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 14:47
Engr2012 wrote:
eriginal wrote:
Admitted! Submitted and complete 10/6, interview feedback submitted Sunday

Congrats. Thats an impressive list of schools you got there. Care to share your profile?

Thanks and sure: 730 gmat, 3.6 gpa, white male, no name state school, equity research for xxx billion $ investment fund w historically strong placement, 4 yrs work exp, cfa, strong extracurriculars and strong interviews.

Definitely going to Wharton though :)
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 18:11
HopefulOne2015 wrote:
Admitted today! Everyone's posts on timelines helped my nerves a lot, so here is mine:

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear. Keep in mind that the admission office will be closed Dec 24-27 and then again next week Dec 31-Jan 3. So things might get a litter slower in the next week or so, so try and enjoy the holiday season! :)

Welcome to the Club man :)
Care to share more on your profile?

- Generalist
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V48
GPA: 3.42

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 19:07
Engr2012 wrote:
iadoreyooh wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:

The above % of seats is just an estimate as they start looking at ED applications sometime from end of August till Nov (this year). Do not get me started on being from an "over represented group" (Indian Engineer with a post MBA industry changer here! :-D , probably what got me dinged after interview at Wharton!).

But it would make sense that Columbia would fill the class with more students in ED round as it shows to them that the applicants are 'serious' about Columbia.

That 60% number is way too high. This is directly from the adcom:

"And let me be really clear: we receive the bulk of our applications during the regular decision period, and that’s when we admit most of our applicants. We know that people are kind of shopping around, trying to figure out what programs are the best fit, and that’s something really important to do, and that takes time."

And MBAdataguru (which is based on Gmatclub data which I think is skewed to ED) says that it's 40% of applicants with a similar admit rate. I'd guess it's no higher then 40% or so ED applicants.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 22:47
generalist wrote:
HopefulOne2015 wrote:

- Generalist

Thank you! Sure, I'm a female engineer from Canada, Canadian university with a master's degree - high GPA. 720 GMAT, 4.5 yrs of work experience with a global engineering/construction management firm, had clear goals in my essays and had a pleasant and conversational interview.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 00:26
HopefulOne2015 wrote:
generalist wrote:
HopefulOne2015 wrote:

- Generalist

Thank you! Sure, I'm a female engineer from Canada, Canadian university with a master's degree - high GPA. 720 GMAT, 4.5 yrs of work experience with a global engineering/construction management firm, had clear goals in my essays and had a pleasant and conversational interview.

That's an interesting background, certainly would be of value during class discussions..Though you seem to have options other than Columbia as well :)
Nevertheless, congratulations on your CBS admit :-D
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 01:00
generalist wrote:
HopefulOne2015 wrote:
generalist wrote:
[

- Generalist

That's an interesting background, certainly would be of value during class discussions..Though you seem to have options other than Columbia as well :)
Nevertheless, congratulations on your CBS admit :-D

Thanks! yes, I have a very difficult decision to make!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 14:27
mbahopeful18 wrote:
PlsLetMeIn wrote:
had awesome interview today. best interview experience i've had so far, makes me that much more interested in the program.

applied 10/14
hoping for a decision by EOD Wednesday but most likely next week.

good luck ya'll

Same here--had a great interview this morning, now hoping for the best.

Good luck to everyone else interviewing!

Any advice on the interview? Or are you able to high-level share some of the questions you received?
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 20:39
Submitted 11/21
Invited for interview 12/23

Very excited!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 21:01
dra9006 wrote:
Submitted 11/21

Very excited!!

Congrats..
I submitted 11/19.. Nothing so far.. Is it safe to say ding, seeing that 11/19 is gone now? :(
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 00:52
popov wrote:
dra9006 wrote:
Submitted 11/21

Very excited!!

Congrats..
I submitted 11/19.. Nothing so far.. Is it safe to say ding, seeing that 11/19 is gone now? :(

I don't think so. They say they go through applications in order, not necessarily make decisions in the same order. Each application gets reviewed by at least 2 people, and each of them can decide to give you an interview, so basically it takes a different amount of time for each file to move to the next stage. Given that the office is closed for the next few days, don't worry if you don't hear back before the new year. Hopefully you'll hear something soon though!
MBA Admissions Consultant
WE: Consulting (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 06:44
Engr2012 wrote:

Engr2012 wrote:

Just correcting a little bit 'o misinfo happening here...

They don't fill the August Start class with 60% ED. It varies every year but they don't have quotas. They get lots more applicants for RD and our understanding is that that's where the majority of the seats are filled from.

Also not that it matters but, ED apps are reviewed beginning the day they open the app in May (it's rolling admissions - they don't wait till August to start reviewing stuff) and they're evaluated until the stack is gone; that process usually takes through early December or later before all ED applicants have a final decision.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 10:20
HopefulOne2015 wrote:
popov wrote:

Congrats..

I don't think so. They say they go through applications in order, not necessarily make decisions in the same order. Each application gets reviewed by at least 2 people, and each of them can decide to give you an interview, so basically it takes a different amount of time for each file to move to the next stage. Given that the office is closed for the next few days, don't worry if you don't hear back before the new year. Hopefully you'll hear something soon though!

Hmmm.. lets hope so.. Ding without interview would be a big confidence breaker though!! In spite of knowing that decision at one school can be way different than the decision at other schools.
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 26 Dec 2015, 10:20

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  61   62   63   64   65   66   67  ...  78    Next  [ 1549 posts ] 

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap