Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [2]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Cadaver, and all others, here goes our analysis of ISB's essays. Its a little late, but it should help ye all...

If we were to admit just one more student, make a compelling argument as to why that student should be you by describing an (only one) achievement in your personal / professional life that you are most proud of. What did you do that sets you apart from others? What did you learn? (300 words)

At the heart of this prompt they are asking you a simple question – what differentiates you from others? This question has been an old favourite of ISB, but it was taken off the circuit for a couple of years. It makes a comeback in a grander style –it's more elaborate than before, with specific instructions on what to answer.

ISB wants to know one single example of an achievement where you did something that others would not do. The example has to be about using a unique strength, a strength that sets you apart.

So, your foremost task is to identify a couple of strengths that differentiate you from college mates and colleagues. Go deeper in your introspection and come up with those traits that have a constant history of being repeated. As an example, if you are superb at mentoring people, you would probably have mentored your college colleagues, your team mates on a technology you learnt before allot hers and maybe even taught Math to your cousin, who went from being a Math phobic to a high scorer. What is your biggest quality that differentiates you? Using a repetitive trait will help you come up with more examples during the interview process as well.

So once you have nailed down your differentiating factor, select a strong personal or professional story associated with it.

For the essay writing part, after briefly mentioning the situation, explain your role in it. What was the challenge involved? How did you deal with it? How did you use your differentiating factor to navigate through the situation? What was the outcome and eventually, what did you learn about yourself?

Having read through huge numbers of ISB applications over the years, we find that most people don't get under the skin of their examples. Simply put, they don't do deep introspection on what that differentiating factor is, why the achievement is their biggest or what they learned from it. While the examples you illustrate are going to be similar (similar problems in the IT industry or the banking sector), it is this analysis which will reveal your thought process and also help to set yourself apart.

Essay 2
Describe a (only one) defining moment in your personal / professional life when you had to make a risky decision, and explain what you did, why and the outcome?

ISB has been specific in asking applicants for one single anecdote per essay this year. This helps applicants add more depth to every anecdote they mention.
What are the risky decisions you could face in your professional life ? Letting your colleague get away with no work nor any contribution to a project could risk your ethics being compromised? Initiating a project that your boss thought would be a failure would be a risk of losing face in front of the team. And you could risk your job by disagreeing with your boss for hiding a blotched software release.

In questions like this one it's not sufficient to only describe the situation. I was faced by a risky situation and I did Xxx…that will not do! Explain WHY you took this decision.what prompted you? Was it your value system which was challenged? Was it because you had the vision to see that this step would help in the future, as in suggesting an initiative which no one else believed in?

Then explain, what was the risk itself? Would you lose an upcoming promotion? Would you lose the leadership of a team? Worse, Would you be asked to pack your bags? The risk in question does not have to be so dramatic, but the reader must be able to clearly visualise that you were going to lose something important. Basically something personal has to be at stake. And that fact that you still stuck to your guns make you a bravo! The kinds that adcom wants to meet for an interview.

or

Describe a (only one) situation in your personal / professional life when you had to interact with people from diverse backgrounds. How did it affect you and what did you learn? (300 words)

This is an interesting question as ISB has never before asked questions on cultural diversity. With their class size increasing from 500 two years ago to 750 now, ISB surely wants to focus on this element.

So if you were put in a situation where your team members had different backgrounds as compared to yours, then how would you behave?

If there was a conflict among this group would you try to bridge it? ISB is not looking for a conclusive answer where you ensure that everything ends well and you are the clear winner in the situation. Despite that you would like to frame an answer that shows your maturity in handling unrelenting team members, and your adaptability to their perspectives. Also, take atleast a hundred words of space to explain the impact this situation has had on you- what did you learn, how did you change yourself?

A b-school environment is all about learning from different perspectives after all, so you would want to make sure that you come across as a person who will thrive in this environment. Your situation can be from the professional or the personal realm, although we strongly suggest that you use atleast one professional example between the first two essays. Also, a diversity situation does not have to involve interactions with foreigners and foreign locales. India has enough diversity within itself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM

!
Post Deleted by Moderator. Profile evaluation requests are not allowed in this thread. Check out this forum for profile evaluation ask-admission-consultants-124/

Originally posted by priyank125007 on 26 Dec 2015, 21:45.
Last edited by Narenn on 26 Dec 2015, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Mod Warning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Can anyone tell me is there any possibility to not join PGP program after YLP program.
What is the fees structure for YLP program ? Do we have any concessions in PGP program later on ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Wishing the new year brings in admits from your dream schools.
Please let me know if I can be of any help, a 2nd set of eyes for your essays, maybe! Eager to help peers. :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Cadaver wrote:
Any tips for R2 applicants

Give a lot of importance to your essays... They are the make or break thing in your application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.17
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM