It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 13:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

GPA: 3.9
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 18:40
Is it my impression or did Kellogg waive a very small number of interviews this year? ?

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3637 [2], given: 2404

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MVerick wrote:
cyberjadugar wrote:
Is interview waiver = game over?

cj

I also received that today. I feel it is game over with that. :(

Copying a post from the 2015 discussion thread. It is quite common for Indian candidates to get their interviews waived.

str1der wrote:
To everyone applying from India. I am a reapplicant and hence am acquainted with how the process works. Let me detail it as I am sure it will calm some nerves:

1. Kellogg, by design, interviews each applicant. However, in areas of high demand of interviews such as India, it is not possible for them to match their alumni to each applicant as each alumni can do only as many interviews
2. Once both Part 1 and Part 2 are submitted, one of the following three scenarios will occur:

i. You will be invited to interview on a day in late Oct/Early Nov. This is essentially an interview day - many alumni will gather at a hotel and many applicants will be interviewed. No clear formula on how the invitees are decided, but I think it depends on who submtited Part 1 earlier as from Kellogg's vantage point everyone has to be interviewed and hence no one is at a higher or lower priority at that point. Once the interview has been completed, the adcom will review your essays and recommendations and you then sit tight until the decision date to hear back from them.

ii. You will get an interview waiver. The Kellogg team does NOT read an applicant's file until their interview is complete. Hence, to avoid delays, they start reading the application first for those in India who weren't sent invited in the first go. The waiver does NOT affect your application negatively - it just means that they are waiving your interview in order to begin reviewing your application

iii. If they like your application, you will receive an invitation to interview. This will be a one to one with an alumnus here, or a Skype with the adcom in Chicago

iv. It may also happen that you don't get this invite after the waiver, in which case it is safe to assume you have been dinged

3. Hence, unlike other countries, in India Kellogg does NOT interview everyone. Also, most people receive a waiver which can then convert/not convert into an interview invite at a later stage.
4. You will NOT be admitted to the program without an interview. Hence, if after the waiver you do not receive an invite, it means you have been dinged.
5. Dates: Please read last year's thread. If I recall correctly, people received the first invites 2 weeks after the Part 2 deadline. People who first received a waiver and then an invite (such as me) kept hearing throughout November. I got my invite around Mid Nov.
6. Hence, if by end Nov you haven't heard from them after a waiver, safe to move on to alternate plans
7. Most people in India will get a waiver - it will test your nerves (tested mine) but it is actually a blessing in disguise. If you receive an invite after a waiver, that means the adcom liked your application and wants to know more - that is a positive sign any day of the year

Hope this answers your queries. Indian applicants should NOT compare their interview timeline to foreign applicants.

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3637 [2], given: 2404

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 07:57
alejandro293 wrote:
Quick question. Is it true that Kellogg is quite stingy with merit aid, compared to similarly ranked schools?

Anecdotally, I have heard they are. I have heard that Booth tends to give out more merit based aid than Kellogg, which doesn't surprise me after visiting and interviewing with both schools.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 08:47
Goillini13 wrote:
alejandro293 wrote:
Quick question. Is it true that Kellogg is quite stingy with merit aid, compared to similarly ranked schools?

Anecdotally, I have heard they are. I have heard that Booth tends to give out more merit based aid than Kellogg, which doesn't surprise me after visiting and interviewing with both schools.

Interesting, could you elaborate a little more if you don't mind?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 08:49
alejandro293 wrote:
Goillini13 wrote:
alejandro293 wrote:

Interesting, could you elaborate a little more if you don't mind?

What would you like to know?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

What I learned during Net Impact Week 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 10:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: What I learned during Net Impact Week 2016
https://kelloggmbastudents.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/social-impact.jpg?w=627

At Kellogg, we’re deeply committed to developing the next generation of socially responsible leaders. Social impact is woven throughout all aspects of the student experience, including course offerings, academic research, career services and experiential learning opportunities.

One notable experiential learning opportunity is Net Impact Week, a series of events organized by Kellogg’s Net Impact Club. Through a number of alumni panels, workshops and community service opportunities, Net Impact Week invites students — and the broader Kellogg community — to drive social change using the power of business.

Below, student H. Kay Howard shares personal insights that she gained during Net Impact Week 2016.

Just one year ago, I kicked off my Kellogg School journey with Net Impact Week, an event that allowed me to find and engage with “my people” – those who came to business school with an interest in driving profit and making a positive impact on the world.

That week, I met the key protagonists of my social impact experience at Kellogg; I befriended the classmates who would later help me prep for social sector consulting interviews, and I bonded with students that later shared the life-changing experience of traveling to Kenya and Tanzania for my Global Immersion in Management (GIM) trip.

As a second-year student who now serves in a leadership role for Kellogg’s Net Impact Club, I was incredibly excited for my second Net Impact Week, but doubted that it would be as formative as the first… However, I was wrong!

This year’s Net Impact Week was equally impactful, teaching attendees how to #IncorporateImpact into their lives and careers, and also pushed participants to dig deeper towards truly understanding the communities we seek to serve by challenging us to go beyond “our people” and our preconceived ideas. The theme of impact and inclusion resonated throughout the week’s programming, with inspiring overtones from my classmates that reinvigorated me to spend more time listening and learning before taking action.

This theme was especially evident during the Social Entrepreneurs at Kellogg panel, where classmates shared the highs and lows of starting their own social enterprises while in business school. Tiffany Smith ’17, co-founder of Tiltas (formerly OrangePrint), a platform that connects formerly incarcerated men and women with employment opportunities, discussed how venturing into a prison gave her fresh, first-hand insight about her startup. By having one-on-one conversations with inmates, Tiffany was able to identify the true needs of her clients and build stronger solutions for overcoming the barriers associated with job placements.

During the Incorporating Impact into your Life panel, Professors Linda Darragh and Paul Christensen discussed the importance of immersing yourself in another culture in order to realize the emotions, values and societal context of a group before attempting to craft solutions for consumers. Professor Christiansen emphasized that it is important to pursue inclusive growth – economic growth that uplifts everyone, instead of widening the income gap.

One of the most powerful takeaways from Net Impact Week came from Richard Odior ’17 and his encouragement to translate “head to heart to action”. During the event Why Kellogg Wore Black, he called for students to gain awareness, cultivate empathy and act accordingly to address systematic racism in our broader society and to support classmates who experience that discrimination.

After a week of gaining awareness and practicing empathy, I hope that the Kellogg student body is inspired not only to #IncorporateImpact into their future actions, but also to continually return to the “head to heart” phase of listening, assessing the intricate environmental, social and inclusion challenges faced by different populations in order to inform an effective plan of action for impact. I personally plan to keep this mantra in mind in my discussions with my classmates and my future career.

Interested in learning more about Kellogg’s world-class Social Impact programming? Visit kellogg.northwestern.edu/social-impact.aspx today!

Kay Howard is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. She is the Net Impact Club treasurer, Education Industry Club president and a board fellow for the Howard Area Community Center. This past summer, she interned at the Civic Consulting Alliance, a Chicago-based public sector consulting firm.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: social impact http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/comments ... .com/8174/
https://pixel.wp.com/b.gif?host=kellogg ... ef=&feed=1
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 08:29
Got an email from the Kellogg Admissions Director this morning saying that they are done conducting interviews and are now reviewing all applications for admission and scholarships.

Can't wait to hear back. Kellogg really impressed me during my visit.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 10:30
Hello XXX,

Have you found yourself wondering what has been happening with your Kellogg application since you submitted it 8 weeks ago? While you committed time and energy to crafting your application before submission, since then, we have committed time and energy to its review. We know the wait is long, and appreciate your patience as we review and consider each and every application.

Dedicated to identifying the future students we will welcome to our dynamic Kellogg community, our team has just completed the Round 1 interviews. Making every effort to interview all of our applicants reflects our commitment to a holistic review process for every candidate and our commitment to choose a diverse class across all dimensions. We believe our holistic & comprehensive review process reflects Kellogg’s culture and ensures the success of our future students.

From now until December 14th, my team will continue to consider each application for not just admission to Kellogg but also for scholarship awards. The admissions team will consider your leadership, your professional accomplishments, and your academic acumen and will award merit scholarships based on these criteria.

The admissions team has really enjoyed getting to know all of our Round 1 applicants and we wish you all the best for the holiday season!

Kind regards,

Melissa Rapp
Director of Admissions
Full Time MBA Programs

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 13:33
As compared to last year, this thread seems awfully quiet. The days can't go by fast enough! I assume that the director's email means that those of you that haven't been interviewed will probably be dinged/waitlisted, right?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 21

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
guateamala86 wrote:
As compared to last year, this thread seems awfully quiet. The days can't go by fast enough! I assume that the director's email means that those of you that haven't been interviewed will probably be dinged/waitlisted, right?

The forum sure seems quiet, but I assure you there's a lot of anticipation and nervousness in the minds of many R1 prospectives including myself. You're right, these days really do need to get a move on.

About the non-interviewed candidates, I'm not sure whether Kellogg waitlists applicants without interview. If it doesn't, that unfortunately translates to dings for some. But I guess we'll only know on the 14th!

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 21

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 01:02
Does Kellogg call and inform everybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 3637 [0], given: 2404

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 01:25
Hormazd91 wrote:
guateamala86 wrote:

The forum sure seems quiet, but I assure you there's a lot of anticipation and nervousness in the minds of many R1 prospectives including myself. You're right, these days really do need to get a move on.

About the non-interviewed candidates, I'm not sure whether Kellogg waitlists applicants without interview. If it doesn't, that unfortunately translates to dings for some. But I guess we'll only know on the 14th!

I second that. Not sure why applicants are less optimistic this time to share their views/experiences/updates with others. I can understand applicants' nervousness and anxiety but I feel that participating in forum discussion is a best way to share application issues with fellow applicants, try to solve them by utilizing collective wisdom of applicants, and relieve stress arising from the application process by engaging in casual/friendly conversation with others, knowing their stories, etc. Good luck to all!

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 01:26

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 01:32
Thanks everyone who shared their interview experiences here. In addition to what you have posted, I am re-posting here few good interview debriefs collected from previous Kellogg discussions for those who are about to be interviewed.

kvazar wrote:
Hey guys! Just had my interview, I really liked the style, but unfortunately we started a bit late (they had technical problems) and I didn't have an opportunity to ask questions about Kellogg that I had. It was a Skype interview with the adcom, very nice lady.
Duration: 45 minutes.
Questions: Why that major?
Why that undergrad school?
Why Kellogg?
Why MBA?
Why now?
Your best achievement at work?
Why you changed your job?

Edited: "Is there anything else about yourself you want to tell me?"

I felt like I spoke a bit too much, but this was very unusual format to me )

chipmonster wrote:
Just had my interview with an alumnus. Questions were very predictable- nothing different from a behavioral-based job interview.
- walk me through your resume
- tell me about a leadership experience
- tell me about your approach to teamwork
- tell me about a feedback you received and how you have incorporated that
- why MBA and why now
- why kellogg
- what do you hope to be involved in outside of classroom while at kellogg
- what do you think you can bring to kellogg

it lasted about half an hour including my time to ask him questions. it was very laid-back but i still wore a suit and the interviewer turned up in jeans and a plaid shirt haha. didn't hurt to overdress i guess. good luck everybody!

Thanking your interviewer.
kvazar wrote:
woshichailin wrote:
How can we send thank you letter to AO who interviewed you. I just know her first name. Thanks!

Hey! In a similar situation I wrote to admissions e-mail and asked them to provide me with the name of AO who interviewed me in order to write a thank you letter, I indicated my name and time of the interview. They responded with her name and contact options.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 01:36

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous Kellogg applicants

tavishsrivastava wrote:
Had my interview yesterday on Skype...indian applicant..it was quite conversational. Same questions...tell me about yourself? Challenging task? Situation when you managed a difficult team? Strength weakness? One question on leadership? Short term and long term? Why mba? Why Kellogg? What will you contribute to Kellogg? Questions for us?
Interviewer was super friendly and she was from adcom. And I think the choice of who gets an invite for interview from Kellogg is completely random, as she said this is a blind interview and they have not even seen my application. I would believe them so people who get a waiver..sit tight ur invite will be on the way :)

SherLocked2018 wrote:
ichbinklug2003 wrote:
chesterstreet wrote:
Does anyone have an idea on the text of the report sent by the interviewer to the school? I mean is it subjective, or objective or detailed or just a recommendation on whether the interviewer recommends the candidate or not?

There really isn't very much info online pertaining to what is contained in the alumni reports. I would bet that there is a confidentiality clause that the interviewers must abide by so as not to skew future interviewee's behavior. I imagine the interviewer's feedback is like a trustworthy letter of rec, which might include some subjective info, plus maybe a handful of 1-10 rankings, giving an overall objective flavor.

During my interview(and probably during other's as well), the interviewer emphasized a lot on the point that 'this wasn't a formal interview' and a conversation to know me better as a person.
So my guess is the same.. They are just trying to know us as a person and probably write about us in the same way. Maybe some questions and rankings etc. Two things that probably are interpreted by the adcom from this :
1. ranking - whether these match with the type of content and reco's they get. Obviously they trust their alumni more than the face value of our essays and recos.
2. They understand what kind of people we are. :P like the first impressions etc. Good to talk to, pleasing and humorous nature etc etc.

Thats what I could understand from my 'research' on specifically Kellogg interviews. May not apply to other interviews. Maybe im wrong for Kellogg also!!

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 01:37

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous Kellogg applicants

UlissDA wrote:

I've just had an interview with a lady from admissions team via Skype. It lasted roughly 40 minutes and was quite relaxed.

First, she asked me to walk her through my resume and my experience at college. Then we talked about my career progression at the current employer, and discussed my strengths and weaknesses. I also got several standard questions on "Why MBA? Why now? Why Kellogg" and also talked about my extracurricular activities. In the end, I was asked if there is anything else I would like to add, and got to ask questions myself.

Overall, it was much less scarier experience that I anticipated, with no unexpected questions :wink:

MV23 wrote:
Had my interview today.
Interviewer was a very nice lady. Went to a Business Strategy class later and it was really cool. There was a lot of cold calling and a lot more jokes. I felt students were well engaged in the class as well.
Back to the interview,
Usual questions...
Why MBA?
What did you do at your work - and a lot of discussion about that?
What qualities do you think should a leader have?
Why not the MMM program? (this question arose since my stated goals for MBA fit well with the MMM program)
Any weakness's you want to overcome?
What would your co-workers say about you?
Were you in any situation where you had to deal with a challenging person?
What courses would you take at Kellogg? ( A variation of this)
What's the most challenging thing in your job?
What clubs would you take part in at Kellogg?
What unique experiences would you bring to your class? - I fumbled here
Do you want to add anything else? I said No which I now realize is a mistake :D
Any questions for me?

Also, for the people going for an on-campus interview, go in at least an hour early, it's very difficult to find parking (I got a $100 parking ticket as a souvenir). And FYI 1.6 miles in Evanston is >15 mins which sucks.

The campus was very beautiful this time of the year. You could spend a day just walking around or by the boardwalk.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 21

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 03:52
bitspankaj wrote:

From what I've heard, they try calling all admitted candidates. Waitlisted and denied candidates receive an email notification.

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 04:00
Hormazd91 wrote:
bitspankaj wrote:

From what I've heard, they try calling all admitted candidates. Waitlisted and denied candidates receive an email notification.

Thanks buddy. And I read somewhere that the calling happens a day before the deadline, at least happened that way last year.

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 05:17
bitspankaj wrote:
Hormazd91 wrote:
bitspankaj wrote:

Thanks buddy. And I read somewhere that the calling happens a day before the deadline, at least happened that way last year.

Here's a post from the forum last year. Looks like all calls go out only on the notification date.... although they can start pretty early in the day.

viewtopic.php?p=1616948#p1616948

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1688 [0], given: 792

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 08:08
Narenn wrote:
Hormazd91 wrote:
guateamala86 wrote:

I second that. Not sure why applicants are less optimistic this time to share their views/experiences/updates with others. I can understand applicants' nervousness and anxiety but I feel that participating in forum discussion is a best way to share application issues with fellow applicants, try to solve them by utilizing collective wisdom of applicants, and relieve stress arising from the application process by engaging in casual/friendly conversation with others, knowing their stories, etc. Good luck to all!

I think this year school threads are quieter in general and I would attribute that to applicants being more knowledgeable or spending more time on searching for information themselves, both good traits to have. Kellogg will not WL candidates without interviews, similar to other top schools. This way they can focus on using their resources on other things. Same thing happened last year as well and unfortunately people did get ding emails on the day of the results.

Good luck to all. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Kudos [?]: 1688 [0], given: 792

Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2016, 08:08

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  38    Next  [ 747 posts ]