Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Ivey (A$$$)
GPA: 3.98
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [2]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Re: Calling All Rotman Applicants - Class Of 2023 (2021 Intake) [#permalink]
Kudos
advisinthetown wrote:
Hey guys, was looking at the average salary upon graduating from MBA and found that the average from Rotman is roughly 10k lower than Ivey. Any particular explanation for that?

Posted from my mobile device

Consulting companies pay pretty high compared to the other firms.
Rotman has a balanced placement. Ivey has a consulting focus and helps the students get the skilled worker visa. Plus MBBs hire strongly at Ivey that has almost 67% Local citizens. Locals are paid more than Internationals. Rotman has lower percentage of locals
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Hi guys,

If you were accepted at Rotman, Mc Gill and Ivey, which one would you choose? Why?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Anyone admitted with scholarship?? Just wanted to understand how much funding are we getting this year ??

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
SabinoM wrote:
Hi guys,

If you were accepted at Rotman, Mc Gill and Ivey, which one would you choose? Why?

I think depends on your needs... Finance can be a great factor to help you decide. Then look at the exit timelines. Ivey will put you in market at a different time compared to Rotman. No one can take this decision for you, only bring out the points
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
daatiiaaj wrote:
SabinoM wrote:
AsitD wrote:
How many days does it take to get the video essay link after you have submitted your application ??

I waited approximately 3h to receive the email with the link

Hi All,

Need some inputs from you on the video interview component of Rotman. Could you please answer below questions.

1. How are the questions for video essays and timed response?
2. For timed response how much time do we get to prepare and speak?
3. Do we have practice questions on that new portal before attempting the actual questions?

Any insights for the above questions will be really helpful. Thanks in advance! :)

The questions are very behavioral. I was asked about my idol. The prep time is 30 seconds and the response is 90 seconds. The biggest change this year is in the UI and the number of practice runs. You can only do 3 practice runs and that too with the same question.

My suggestions practice outside the portal and then just sit and finish it in 1 go.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
SabinoM wrote:
Hi guys,

I'd say it would go to down to being between Ivey and Rotman. Both have exceptional programs and nice career services department. Ivey has better relationships with the corporates, so helps with jobs. Rotman is centrally located in Bay Street, so helps with networking. Ivey places for a lot of Consulting roles and Rotman does the same for finance.

This is indeed a great amount of generalization, but I would first want to look at the scholarships they offer and then decide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Haas '23 (II)
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Has anyone applied for early round?

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Bookmarks
andreshc91 wrote:
Has anyone applied for early round?

?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
Send PM
Hey all, any knowledge if Rotman skews towards easier domestic/international applicants? I know a couple Canadian guys who got in with below average stats, and an international student who got dinged with a pretty awesome profile last year. Just curious.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
GRE 1: Q163 V162
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Russthemann wrote:
Hey all, any knowledge if Rotman skews towards easier domestic/international applicants? I know a couple Canadian guys who got in with below average stats, and an international student who got dinged with a pretty awesome profile last year. Just curious.

This is true for almost all b-schools. Domestic candidates are much easier to asses as schools have lot more data points to work with (more info about undergrad school/GPA, and employer).Since they already have a network in the home country,schools don't have to worry too much about career outcomes for these candidates.
If you were an international applicant, as an admissions officer I'd be more selective about who I let in. These candidates need to be above average in terms of work ex and profile as this would help during job hunting process. Without a professional network, it is more challenging to find opportunities. Therefore you'll find most applicants from Canada getting in with subpar GMAT scores and mediocre work ex.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys,
There has been a lot of hype about Fall 2021 being the most competitive season for MBA applications because of the upcoming recession and deferrals from previous year. Any opinions on this?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
khanna93 wrote:
Hi Guys,
There has been a lot of hype about Fall 2021 being the most competitive season for MBA applications because of the upcoming recession and deferrals from previous year. Any opinions on this?

Personally I believe that it would be not that different from the last year. We cannot compare this situation with the financial crisis. People are unable to move right now. Admission consultants hype because it helps with "marketing", duh!!

Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
advisinthetown wrote:
khanna93 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Personally I believe that it would be not that different from the last year. We cannot compare this situation with the financial crisis. People are unable to move right now. Admission consultants hype because it helps with "marketing", duh!!

I agree. Fear is good for business. Spike in interest in MBA programs doesn't necessarily translate into more applications.

If you'll look at most MBA programs, they were struggling to fill the class to maximum strength before 2020.

Due to COVID, many people are interested in getting an MBA but will they all be able to do the research, take the GMAT and apply within 4-5 months? I doubt so. Also, the numbers coming out aren't as bad as many economists had speculated. Economy is not in a good shape but it certainly isn't as bad as people thought it would be.

Another thing is that international applications could go down due to rolling lockdowns and travel restrictions. Nobody is interested in paying full tuition for a semi-virtual program.

Also, none of these consultants have given me a concrete yes about whether this year will be super competitive. The answer I have been getting is "it might be but no one can say for sure".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
manu595 , I agree with you somewhat, but I do believe the deferral admissions will have an impact on seat availability for next year. I read in an article that 30% of the HBS class opted for a deferral this year, which only leaves 70% seats available for next year. This will have a trickle down effect across B schools. Sharing the link of the article I was referring to here.

https://poetsandquants.com/2020/05/31/c ... ason-ever/

Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
khanna93 wrote:
manu595 , I agree with you somewhat, but I do believe the deferral admissions will have an impact on seat availability for next year. I read in an article that 30% of the HBS class opted for a deferral this year, which only leaves 70% seats available for next year. This will have a trickle down effect across B schools. Sharing the link of the article I was referring to here.

This is true for large schools like HBS and ISB. There's only so many people that they can accommodate. For smaller programs, I think there might be some room (fingers crossed).

Schools are also prepared to increase the class size to accommodate deferrals from this year (Some of them have openly said that they do have the capacity to do so). The article you have shared quotes former director of admissions at INSEAD on how HBS might handle this: "We can see HBS smashing the number of applications this year. It’s good news that they may open up more sections of 90 to absorb deferrals from this year."

I have also received feedback from bschools that they understand the extraordinary circumstances this year, and they are doing their best to ensure a deserving candidate does not miss out simply because they had to accommodate deferrals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Haas '23 (II)
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Kudos
manu595 wrote:
khanna93 wrote:

This is true for large schools like HBS and ISB. There's only so many people that they can accommodate. For smaller programs, I think there might be some room (fingers crossed).

Schools are also prepared to increase the class size to accommodate deferrals from this year (Some of them have openly said that they do have the capacity to do so). The article you have shared quotes former director of admissions at INSEAD on how HBS might handle this: "We can see HBS smashing the number of applications this year. It’s good news that they may open up more sections of 90 to absorb deferrals from this year."

I have also received feedback from bschools that they understand the extraordinary circumstances this year, and they are doing their best to ensure a deserving candidate does not miss out simply because they had to accommodate deferrals.

I agree with you. HBS Director of Admission said they probably increment the class size to deal the referrals. Nevertheless, Canadian MBA as Rotman have been receiving increasing number of applicants in the past years because of Canada’s flexibility to work after the MBA. This is why, for several international students, it could be more competitive this year, because crisis will certainly be much worse in developing countries than the European countries, the US or Canada.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Hey team,

Just looking for a profile review as I'll be submitting my application sometime this week but would like your thoughts as well!

Profile Overview:
Canadian, 25 y/o, Undergrad GPA 3.1 (History & Business Minor)
4 years of experience upon matriculation, work for a US-based beverage company and have been an Operations Manager managing staff across Canada (and Hawaii!) for nearly two years (had 16 direct reports) - now manage distributor relations and upper-level chain development across all of Canada.

Gmat: 670 (Q42 V40)
Extracurriculars: Varsity Athlete for my 4 years of university (rugby), rugby coach and player still. Also studying French as I now live in Montreal (B2 level).

I know my experience is lacking compared to some other applicants but am curious nonetheless.

Thanks!

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts