Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Vanderbilt Owen MBA Applicants [2020 Intake] Class of 2022 [#permalink]
kmck357,
I agree, fair enough. Below is a video link (posted by Owen itself) enlisting the neighbourhoods one can choose from around the university campus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6eWsmY1GTg

It's true that in the recent years Nashville has become expensive, certainly the areas around Vanderbilt. But I would also highly prefer to be in walking distance to the university, given the lack of public transportation in Nashville. Which implies having flatmates/roommates.
There is also an official facebook group already, the link is below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/753691238465853/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Vanderbilt Owen MBA Applicants [2020 Intake] Class of 2022 [#permalink]
kmck357 wrote:
abhimanyu1945 wrote:
Congrats to all who have been admitted,

Would you guys consider to have a shared group (https://gmatclub.com/chat etc.) ?

I'd be interested

I'm really curious what your guys plans are for finding a place to live. I'd be looking to live close to campus, but everything nearby looks pretty damn expensive if I were to live on my own. But no clue what steps to take in finding a potential roommate

Btw, during my interview, i asked the interviewer as to whether the university helps incoming students in securing residence. He said that though the university doesn't do it, but the current students help the incoming students a lot with the housing.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Reviews PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 754 [0]
Given Kudos: 522
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hey all.

Any idea whether Owen allows an extension beyond the application deadline to submit the LoR?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
iamsiddharthkapoor
If i remember correctly you won't be able to final submit the application without submitting the LOR, since the checklist remains incomplete. So there's that.
In any case, still ten days to go, so there's still time.

Send PM
abhimanyu1945 , thanks for your reply. Do you think I should inquire Owen's admission office? Any idea whether admission offices entertain such requests?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
iamsiddharthkapoor
Sure you can put in an inquiry, if your issue is genuine I'm sure they will consider it (since LOR is one of those things that is not entirely in an applicant's hand). The admissions staff is very friendly and helpful and approachable.
Although the office is closed till January 2nd, so keep that in mind.
Send PM
abhimanyu1945 wrote:
iamsiddharthkapoor
Sure you can put in an inquiry, if your issue is genuine I'm sure they will consider it (since LOR is one of those things that is not entirely in an applicant's hand). The admissions staff is very friendly and helpful and approachable.
Although the office is closed till January 2nd, so keep that in mind.

abhimanyu1945 thanks for the information. I've made my request to the admission office. I hope it considers my request without any consequence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GPA: 3.05
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Hi everyone!

Happy new year!

Does Vanderbilt extend an interview invite for everyone who applies, or for select few?

Thanks

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi fitzpratik
That would be a very strong assumption to make. Im sure most top schools do not do that, although only adcom officials can provide you the correct answer (which obvsly they won't since its a confidential matter)
But, at the same time, given that applications have gone down dramatically in recent years, im sure the invited to interview rates have gone up accordingly.
Also, mid ranking schools generally extend an interview to most if not all bona fide and decent candidates (im just guessing here).

Anyways, such questions naturally arise out of curiosity and anxiety, but you should not fret about such things, just put in your best effort and all will work out.
Good luck!!!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhimanyu1945 wrote:
Hi fitzpratik
That would be a very strong assumption to make. Im sure most top schools do not do that, although only adcom officials can provide you the correct answer (which obvsly they won't since its a confidential matter)
But, at the same time, given that applications have gone down dramatically in recent years, im sure the invited to interview rates have gone up accordingly.
Also, mid ranking schools generally extend an interview to most if not all bona fide and decent candidates (im just guessing here).

Anyways, such questions naturally arise out of curiosity and anxiety, but you should not fret about such things, just put in your best effort and all will work out.
Good luck!!!

Hi
Thank you for the response. What I meant was does Vanderbilt interview everyone who applies as a policy. However, after going through their website, it is clear that off campus interviews are invitation only.
Thanks for the help!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Congrats to those who have been 'Invited to Interview' or have already been interviewed by Owen.

A few tips (from my personal experience while applying in Round 1) for
A. those who are yet to be interviewed; and
B. those who shall be submitting their applications in the 3rd Round.

- Owen values personal interaction a LOT, which includes queries about the school, its culture, advantages, unique aspects, how the school can help you achieve your goals. (Just make sure that your queries are not too obvious, you know, something you can find on the school website). The Adcom is very friendly, a special shout out to Kim Killingsworth here.

So basically, your application is just as important as your personal interaction and engagement with NOT ONLY the ADCOM, but also the student ambassadors there. Something that makes you seem more than just a piece of formal application.

- They also value cultural fit a lottt. If you will research a bit, you will find that Vanderbilt (not just the B school, but the uni as a whole) has a unique culture- very very social and collaborative, Work hard Play hard attitude, has a Southern vibe (in a good way), etc., a focus on making sure that a student's time at Vandy is one of the best experience of their life.

- You MUST exude positivity and enthusiasm, both about yourself, and about the school, university and Nashville. It's cool if you can fake it, but the best way would be to be genuinely excited about the school (which can only happen if you do thorough research on the school and interact with the Adcom and current students).

- Owen has seen a drop in the avg. GMAT score in the last few years, so a strong GMAT score will help you a LOT.

- Owen has also seen a decrease in the number of international applicants and students (all schools have, as a result of the govt. policies of previous years), so being an international applicant can be an advantage-- HOWEVER, you still have to be an otherwise strong/decent applicant.

- Owen has a strong financial aid program (one of the strongest among mid-ranking schools), and (from my experience) it's not just for Underrepresented minorities/Gender-based (although these factors can be advantageous).

- Needless to say, interview is CRUCIAL.

- Last but not least, No one SINGLE factor will get you in (and in the alternative, put you at a disadvantage). Focus on having a balanced and well-rounded application.

https://www.clearadmit.com/2016/12/admi ... e-st-john/

Hope it is helpful.

Do let me know if I can be of any further help.

I will also try to be more active on this forum from now on.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb
Admissionado

When do schools start sending out the I20 forms to admitted and accepted international students?
I'm a Round 1 applicant at Owen and have been admitted and have also accepted the offer. Now I'm waiting for the the school to ask me for the financial docs. required for I20 processing.
I was under the impression that the school does that as soon as one is accepted, However, no such thing has been updated on my application.
So, do they start doing this after Round 2, or Feb./March? If anyone has any idea?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I am in. Is there a group for admitted students?

Originally posted by doublebogey on 03 Feb 2020, 02:31.
Last edited by doublebogey on 13 Feb 2020, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
doublebogey wrote:
I am in with Dean scholarship.

Is there a group for admitted students?

Hi
Congratulations!
Are you a R2 candidate?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
@wackyboy

Which round applicant are you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
abhichopra007 wrote:
@wackyboy

Hi abhichopra007, I'm in R2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
wackyboy29 wrote:
abhichopra007 wrote:
@wackyboy

Hi abhichopra007, I'm in R2.

Thanks for the reply.
Can you also tell when did your interview take place?

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts